LT95 out in about 4 hours!!!

Technical questions and answers
1toughV8

LT95 out in about 4 hours!!!

Post by 1toughV8 »

Well, here it is, my LT95 out of my Stage 1 in about 4 hours! Just me, my driveway and a 2 ton jack----and a little bit of elbow grease. I thought i had a bad rear main seal(the main reason i decided to take the thing out to replace the intermediate gear) and it turns out it was the front cover of the box where the transmission oil pump is, leaking like a banshee!!! Picked up an entire gasket kit for the box for $30 from Discovery Automotive in Perth(awesome Rover parts place) http://www.discoveryauto.com.au/ for those of you in Australia.

Anyway, here are some pics for those that are interested. I will post some more once i crack the box and then some of the finished product before it goes back in, good thing this is my second car!!!

Take care all,
Chris
cat3412

Post by cat3412 »

I too have undertaken the same activity on my drive with a trolly jack, However it took me nearly 2 hours to remove the X member. Something we have to contend with over here is the dreaded metal worm (Heavy corrosion) Anyway the reason for replying is, that when I removed the main gear leaver, whilst the three shouldered bolts were tight the tin plate cover was loose and the gearleaver has what I conssidder to have excessive vertical movement. I have looked at the parts list and a spacer appears to be shown , however no parts number. Any body have any ideas or photos of what the beast should be like.

Cat3412 (Sunny Cornwall U.K.)
stage one tom

Post by stage one tom »

Four hours is good. I took mine out last week & it took a lot longer than that & I was lucky enough to have the use of a four post ramp, but as cat3412 said we suffer from the rot here. The box I took out had some serious issues in the transfer box so I exchanged the whole thing for another one.

Unfortunately though the one I put in is extremely noisy & I think it may be coming out again. :(

I look forward & am interested in seeing more pics as I think I may have to try & build one decent box out of the two.
firemanshort

Out the bottom or through the top?

Post by firemanshort »

I removed my Series III 4 speed once and the green bible said to take it out through the interior. So I removed floor pans and seat boxes and used an engine lift.

Does the LT 95 come out either way if you have a removeable crossmember?

Is there a serial number on the LT95? Where? Can this serial number tell you what the orignal tansfer case gears are? I want to be able to tell what gear ratios I have without splitting open the case and counting teeth. (I have a spare LT95 that may have come from a Range Rover of unknown vintage.)
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
stage one tom

Re: Out the bottom or through the top?

Post by stage one tom »

firemanshort wrote:Does the LT 95 come out either way if you have a removeable crossmember?

Is there a serial number on the LT95? Where? Can this serial number tell you what the orignal tansfer case gears are? I want to be able to tell what gear ratios I have without splitting open the case and counting teeth. (I have a spare LT95 that may have come from a Range Rover of unknown vintage.)
Yes it will come out either way, I took it out from below because I used a four post ramp so I just figured it would be easier.

I am guessing there will be a serial number & I will look at the one I took out tomorrow & let you know. However I have no idea how to understand it as far as ratios go.

I'm no expert & maybe someone else may know but I thought you could tell the ratio by turning the imput shaft & counting the revolutions on the output shaft & then halfing that amount. Or atleast some method like that.
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Well, i know it has been a few weeks since i got this thing out but i have been busy at work and my parents were visiting for a week. I just got to take this thing apart this weekend. Just to comment on the previous posts, i can see that it would be possible to take this box out from the top. That being said and having just taken it out from underneath the truck, i would say that the later is the easiest way.

Anyway, here are a few pics from my cleaning and rebuild(remember the ultimate goal of this was to replace the intermediate gear set). I am putting in a .996 ratio. In the event that i am not happy with the performace of ther truck after this, the old gear set can be re-installed with the box still in the truck---i only took it out this time to repair all of the leaky gaskets. I just have a few more bits to clean up and a couple of seals to replace that didn't come with the gasket kit. Hope to have it complete and back in the truck next weekend. I will post a photo of the finished product.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. those of you in England will be happy to see that man's best friend in my house is an English Bulldog named poppy, hard to tell in the photo but he was in the garage with me all weekend.

Some cleaned up bits and my bulldog.

Most of the gear stuff, it was all in pretty good shape.

The lot as it stands right now.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I see from the photos that you were accompanied by the home mechanic's two best friends - his dog and his beers!

Good luck.

Alan.
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Well, it took a lot longer than i thought but it i finally finished my trans rebuild and intermediate gear change to a .996. Turns out the gear that was in was actually a 1.123 not the standard 1.3 that i thought came int he Stage 1. Anyway, the box is back in the truck after some tricky movements to get the primary shaft seated properly into the clutch disc. All gears still work, better now actually and the diff lock still works with the light. Whoever had the truck before me put gear oil in the box, not motor oil so there is fresh Castrol GTX 15W-40. The truck runs real nice at 100 k's and i didn't find it over geared at all, but i know my donk is putting out a bit more than stock. Here is a photo of the finished product.

Cheers,
Chris

Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Could you pop round and do mine one afternoon :D
firemanshort

Gear Ratios

Post by firemanshort »

That looks like a nice job. Did you figure your gear ratios by counting teeth or some other method?

-Firemanshort
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Thanks, it was hard work but worth it. I had to count teeth to figure it out, i would say that is the only way. It is pretty easy to just change the intermediate gear as you can do it with the box still in the truck so who knows if yours has been changed or not?

here is that website with the ratios and associated teeth--

http://www.vislandrovers.nl/modules.php ... visiedelen
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Anyone know of a list of part numbers for the various gears?

I am thinking about replacing mine until I get around to fitting an overdrive.

I take it that we should have 31 & 40 toothed gears giving a ratio of 1.336:1

Thanks

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website