LT95: scrap parts on the market!

Technical questions and answers
udo1-ton

LT95: scrap parts on the market!

Post by udo1-ton »

I recently opened my gearbox because the transfer lever jumped in neutral. I made a complete overhaul 30000miles ago and I could not believe what I found when I pulled out the intermediate shaft.
I had new shims installed and two of four were made of steel instead bronze 😡 The high range gear has a badly worn surface, shaft and needle bearings are scrap.

The problem is, you can not see the difference when the shims are new. They are dipped with zink or anything else. If someone plans to make an overhaul of his LT95, please check the shims!
FBW

Re: LT95: scrap parts on the market!

Post by FBW »

Hi Udo,

I know the problem (unfortunately).
I had the gearbox rebuilt on my Shorty. After only approx. 300km the gear jumped out of the transfer case. It turned out that all 4 thrust washers were steel. Completely everything was broken. The complete set of wheels, all bearings and the shaft.

This is how the steel thrust washers looked new. I think there is a zinc phosphate coating on it.

As you can see they are magnetic. But they should be made of bronze.

Even without steel thrust washers, shaft lubrication is a weak point on the LT95. I think the wave breaking in on Udo's Stage One has little or nothing to do with the thrust washers. That was lack of lubrication. Anyone who drives longer distances with the Stage One or Range Rover will sooner or later be confronted with the problem.

But there will soon be a solution for that too Image

greeting
Frank
Mik

Post by Mik »

Sounds interesting Frank - tell us more! ;)
Michael
1965 109 FC SIIA
1982 109 V8 SIII CSW Stage One
1982 109 V8 SIII HCPU Stage One
1990 RRC Vogue SE
FBW

Post by FBW »

Hi Mik

The damage to the flanks of the gears, the melted bearing cages and the colorful spacer bush are clearly caused by the steel thrust washers.

BUT! The damage to the shaft is caused by insufficient lubrication.
Depending on the situation, the centrifugal lubrication for the needle bearings is not sufficient. If the surfaces have been damaged, the accident takes its course. The damaged area is logically where the load is highest. The designers have placed the oil hole exactly there. But if only a little too hot oil arrives, the lubricating film tears.
The next problem. The needles are relatively small in diameter, they turn really fast and both running surfaces are construction parts (gear and shaft). There is no bearing ring in between. I'm sure that the tolerances in terms of hardness and surface quality on the structural parts are far greater than on standard roller bearings. If the wheel set has play due to wear on the thrust washers, the wheels cant slightly and the needle bearings are loaded on one side. They don't like that.

Which is generally not well known. The Australian Perentie installed an LT95 behind the 3.9 liter ISUZU. Apparently Land Rover Australia was aware of the intermediate shaft problem. I don't mean the thrust washers made of the wrong material, but the wear and tear of the shafts.

This was therefore redesigned for the Perentie. In the permanent version, the wheels run in preloaded standard tapered roller bearings with inner and outer rings. From this point of view alone, it is structurally superior. The Perentie solution fits into the standard gearbox housing. Unfortunately, this version or parts of it is very rare and almost impossible to get in the old world.

Then you have to build it yourself. :D

greeting
Frank