New stage 1 owner - help registering with DLVA?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
deaallen

Re: New stage 1 owner - help registering with DLVA?

Post by deaallen »

Cliff4WD wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:45 am
BTW, I've read somewhere that Stage One's might well have their chassis stamped on the left hand rear instead of the front right hand dumb iron, so it might be genuine. The details match with the VIN too. As for the 14 digit VIN, well that's just because the Manufacturer code for Land Rover (SAL) is omitted. Prefix it with SAL as I did and you have a 17 digit VIN that perfectly describes a Stage One made for world export.

This was my understanding (and hope) when I finally found the chassis number.

With regards to the date having a 3 stamped over an existing 6 I don't believe this to be the case at all. See the picture below after I tried to clean up the plate a bit more:

Granted the plate might not be the "norm" but I don't doubt there was a few different types being used at the time, see "SERIES 3 COMPLIANCE PLATE" in the following link https://www.remlr.com/data-plates.html

Looks the same apart from the "date" however I don't even know if this is supposed to indicate a date or something completely different!?

I think I'll have to end up speaking with the dvla but my worry is they will simply assume the worst and tell me it needs scrapping
map1275

Re: New stage 1 owner - help registering with DLVA?

Post by map1275 »

Date in raised text as per the plate you copied from REMLR is the norm. Hand stamped were randomly used at that time but not in that size, format or location. Yes the 3 is clearer in your second photo. Possibly if you clean more of the plate and look in the location of the date indicated on your second plate, bottom left. You may also find seating capacity, bottom right.

Date of compliance is not date of manufacture but may be close. As with MGF, this can easily be over 12 months difference. But again, looking at concurrent production, 1983 is well out of step.