LT95 front output clunk

Technical questions and answers
Elguru

LT95 front output clunk

Post by Elguru »

Hi Guys,

I’ve been having problems with “clunks” from front output shaft of my LT95.
It’s been driving me bloody batty as I have…

Rebuilt and reshimmed intermediate shaft.
Replaced centre diff and shims. Correct preload on shaft.
Front prop shaft checked and rebalanced my pro shop.
Replaced diff lock vacuum actuator.

Still I have 15 degrees of movement on front flange a distinctive clonk on back & forth rotation.

Removed the front output housing and moving the centre diff shaft all is perfectly snug, smooth, quiet and barely any backlash.

I have genuine new dog lock up sleeve but it looks exactly like the installed one.
The genuine manual implies the dog is installed the opposite way to the parts manual…. Which is correct.?

Any help and advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

I’m trying to post pics but it keeps saying too large…😡
Elguru

Re: LT95 front output clunk

Post by Elguru »

Hi guys again……

So I replaced the diff lock dog & actuating fork which has helped a bit.

However I still have an unacceptable clonk when on & off the throttle. Definitely less so in low range. So I’ve removed the bloody transfer case cover again and trying to determine whats the cause.
Just to reiterate there is a new centre diff installed and the intermediate shaft has been shimmed to spec.
Is there anyone who has knowledge of the LT95 gearbox who could maybe do a “FaceTime” and have a live looksee at the operation and backlash etc of the gears etc…?

Thanks.
disco2hse

Re: LT95 front output clunk

Post by disco2hse »

You sure that's where it's coming from? You sure is it not elsewhere in the drive line?

Can't help you with the LT95 innards but it seems the tif there is no noise until it is all connected up, then the cause may be elsewhere.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5