Restoration

Technical questions and answers
Cliff4WD

Re: Restoration

Post by Cliff4WD »

I spent the afternoon with my multimeter, a photocopy of the schematic from the supplement, and some degreaser. I've managed to identify most of what I have. There's wiring for choke thermostat and switch of which I have neither, and the fuel pump supply seems to have a yellow cable instead of white. There are still a few PO wiring hacks to decipher, but I think I've more or less worked it all out. I have 1 brown lead that goes to the alternator on the diagram that appears to have been cut and left unconnected. I'm wondering where it would have connected if it has broken free rather than cut.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Brown is pretty important. Should be connected to the IND terminal on the alternator (IIRC).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

disco2hse wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:39 pm Brown is pretty important. Should be connected to the IND terminal on the alternator (IIRC).
After a lot of digging, turns out the thin brown wire was for the battery sensing on earlier versions of the alternator. Mine should have Lucas 18ACR, which it probably is, which if I've understood correctly has internal battery sensing making the 4th connection redundant. The IND spade takes the NY (brown/yellow) wire giving the dashboard ignition warning light.
So I have the 2 browns from starter motor and single brown/yellow connected via the lucas plug.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Quick video update.

https://youtu.be/3uxvFdHi1b0
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Glen

Post by Glen »

Cliff4WD wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:44 pm
disco2hse wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:39 pm Brown is pretty important. Should be connected to the IND terminal on the alternator (IIRC).
After a lot of digging, turns out the thin brown wire was for the battery sensing on earlier versions of the alternator. Mine should have Lucas 18ACR, which it probably is, which if I've understood correctly has internal battery sensing making the 4th connection redundant. The IND spade takes the NY (brown/yellow) wire giving the dashboard ignition warning light.
So I have the 2 browns from starter motor and single brown/yellow connected via the lucas plug.
Nice vid, I want a tent like that but it won’t fit down the side of my house. Yes that looks light an ACR alternator with the big plastic cover on the back. The A127 is the next generation on, some of which still have the 3 spade plug so bolts straight in. Their main advantage being they actually charge on idle which ACRs don’t really do.
Mine has that wire too, think it was connected to another spade on the ACR but it’s been disconnected since I changed to an A127 - my engine and, I presume, the engine wiring loom is from a LDV. I think the later engine looms were prints standardised so had wiring for other things like Rev counters (RRCs take the tach signal from the alternator not the coil/EFI, unusual for a petrol but was handy for diesel conversions as the dash still works) and other sensors even if the vehicle loom didn’t use it.
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

I've been struggling with the wiring. After connecting things back up and routing the loom where it's supposed to go, I had to replace the ignition switch and then found there was a short to ground somewhere.

Well, after some rather tenacious fault tracing, I finally worked out that it was my speedo mounted voltage stabiliser that is shorting to earth. Only taken me a week of hair pulling misery trying to work out where the problem was. You'd think it would be fairly straight forward to find a short but with so many interconnected wires it quickly becomes a fog of spaghetti confusion. Methodical isolation was the key. Anyway, I now have the engine turning over when I crank the ignition. I guess I should think about wiring up the coil and actually firing up soon.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

While waiting for a delivery of electrical bits n bobs to complete the wiring, I thought I'd best sort the fuel line to the new facet pump. Had a look under the inspection/access plates in the rear tub floor. Nothing surprising but earth connection to sender unit was poor, so add this to the wiring job list.

It's a bit of a struggle at the moment trying to crawl underneath and route a new fuel line, also the now redundant return line needs to come out and then there's some wires running outside the chassis and the loom running inside. It would all be a sight easier done with the tub off (which I plan to do when I've sorted the front end), so that's my plan; sort back end stuff when tub comes off. In the meantime, I thought I'd make a start on the front bodywork. Typically I've left it too late in the year to get much accomplished paint wise, but it would be good to at least get the wings prepped if not painted.

It was the usual struggle dealing with old rusty nuts and bolts but managed to get the steel supports and the side panel off. I did have to resort to cutting a couple of bolts as they were solid.

Next it was clearing away old repairs, getting rid of filler and assessing the situation.

This corrosion at the front had been patched with a piece of aluminium riveted underneath and filled with isopon.

I'm contemplating what to do with this, it lasted quite a time before I dug it out. Maybe I should just redo it as it was and make it look nice again. Not sure what other options I actually have. I don't have any TIG welding kit or experience and so wondering what I can do. Leading maybe? I'll have to do some research.

Pressed on and dealt with a few dents with hammer and dolly and sanding with DA getting ready for a coat or two of epoxy primer.

Left it there for now as my back is screaming in agony and I can't stand it any longer.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Not much of interest to report. Between bouts of inclement weather, chronic pain, and low motivation levels, I have pressed on with the pre-painting prep to the front wings.

LH now has a few dents less after a bit of dolly work and is sanded and now in epoxy primer ready for a bit of filling and flatting before high fill primer.

So, onto the RH wing and do it all again. First off, remove the various brackets, supports, fittings, and the RH wing side panel

Then more sanding

Should be able to do the repairs and surface levelling/flatting next and get it ready to paint, although I doubt I'll be able to paint before the weather breaks and autumn temp and damp puts an end to it. It would be nice to have it all sealed in epoxy ready to go. Ideally I'd like it in top coat and fitted back on the vehicle but the state that the steel support pieces were in, I'll be having to fabricate new replacements, so it's going to take a while yet.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Continued the repairs and and pre paint preparation to the front wings.

I first sprayed the wings with epoxy primer. I use the HB body stuff, it's excellent! 4:1:1 Sprays nice, sticks, give a good layer that sands flat very easily.

Having inherited the old damage to the nearside side panel, I needed to tidy the surface having already hammered out much of the distortion. About 3 thin applications of Ezy Sand and diligent sanding soon brought back a nice flat even surface.

The Offside panel was lovely and flat with no dings or dents. Just a light sanding to flatten out the sprayed primer texture and get a nice flat smooth surface.

I decided to make the repairs to the corroded and holed wing top fronts using Evercoat Fiber Tech Kevlar reinforced! Fiberglass.

Evercoat Ezy Sand was then applied over the top

The repair after sanding smooth seems to be solid and stuck fast. Next stage will be to paint over with the high build polyester, I'm using Evercoat Slik Sand for this.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

I carried on with the bodywork today. First I wanted to test how best to afix the reinforcing I've decided to fit. I thought the easiest and hopefully best option was to bond with epoxy. I'd ordered some JB weld which should do the job nicely. There are no doubt a multitude of alternate adhesives I could use but I thought I'd try the JB first as it gets good press.

I dealt with this part of the front wing where it gets bolted on. It has corroded and worn very thin. I removed a rectangle of Birmabright that had been spot welded on top and sanded the area to be repaired clean.

Next, a cardboard template of the patch piece I intended to add was cut out...

... and used to mark out the sheet aluminium I'd purchased for these repairs.

The patch was cut out and shaped to match the panel area to be repaired

Both surfaces were then thoroughly cleaned and degrease ready for bonding.

After mixing and applying the epoxy to the surfaces, the patch was positioned and clamped in place using a pair of blocks to evenly distribute the clamping pressure and keep both surfaces flat and in contact with each other.

7Image

The wing was then set aside to cure. I'll see how well this has worked or not in due course.

Next up, the front panel

I needed to first unbolt the 2 horns that were bolted to it. I then needed to remove the rubber strip riveted across the lower lip. I also spent a bit of time with hammer and dolly straightening and removing a few dents.

Next thing to consider was the original "Land Rover" badge. I was a bit worried about damaging this trying to remove it. Turns out it was easy in the end.

The badge appeared to be riveted in place but it was difficult to see exactly how it was fixed.

In fact, it was a simple matter of pushing 2 fixing posts on the badge out from the 2 mounting holes in the panel.

With the badge safely tucked away it was now time to get stuck into the laborious task of sanding tha panel back ready for priming.

I had to strip the paint from the back of the panel using paint stripper as it was in very poor condition and was difficult to get at with sandpaper. All done now and set aside ready for epoxy primer.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Great to see you making the effort. Ill health is hard to push against. :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

disco2hse wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 am Great to see you making the effort. Ill health is hard to push against. :)
Thanks. Yes, things seem to get progressively harder each day, but I'm not in a race to finish; I just want to finish it! 😅 As long as I can keep moving forward, a day here, a day there, I'll get there. It is daunting when I look at the pile of bodywork to be restored but at least the major mechanical work is done (well, at the front end at least). Thanks for your continued support 👍🏻
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The badge appeared to be riveted in place but ... In fact, it was a simple matter of pushing 2 fixing posts on the badge out from the 2 mounting holes in the panel.
Considering what the originals make now, it might be better if they were riveted in place!
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Geoff wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 am
The badge appeared to be riveted in place but ... In fact, it was a simple matter of pushing 2 fixing posts on the badge out from the 2 mounting holes in the panel.
Considering what the originals make now, it might be better if they were riveted in place!
Ooh err!
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

I've pretty much had to pack up for the winter now. No point trying to spray paint in cold damp windy conditions and I don't have enough room at the moment inside the garage tent. However, I did manage to get the front wings and centre panel repaired and in sealer primer. There's a bit more to do to the LH wing as there are a few areas still showing through that need attention, but pretty much ready for the next process.

I also glued on more aluminium patches where the corrosion had eaten through.

The wing side panels are looking much better. A bit of a low area on the LH one to deal with, but pretty happy so far.

The wings are looking a lot better now.

Not sure what's next. I'll likely try and give the workshop a good clean out and make some work space as I can't move in there for clutter.
I have all the steel bits off of the wings to re-fabricate as they are toast. Shame YRM don't make them as I'd just buy new and save a whole lot of work.
Bye for now.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5