Increasing the gearing

Technical questions and answers
jonnyboy

Increasing the gearing

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi all

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1981 Stage 1 that I bought as a roling chassis and a pile of bits.

I hope to have it on the road soon but whilst I still have easy access to the gear/transfer box I thought I would look into increasing the gearing.

I plan to use the vehicle on a few long trips so anything that helps with the fuel economy is a must.

I have read somwhere that you can fit rangerover transfer gears.

Has anyone done this?
Anyone got any part numbers?

Many thanks

Jon
Huzey

gearing

Post by Huzey »

Hi Jonnyboy
From the info I have, the transfer box ratio's are Stage 1 high 1.336 : 1
low 3.321 : 1.
Range rover 1970-76 high 1.174 : 1, low 3.32 : 1. Range rover 1976-81 high 1.116 : 1, low 3.32 : 1
Range rover 1981-83 high 0.996 : 1, low 3.32 : 1.
All ratio's are for the integral transfer box fitted to the LT95 gearbox. I'm affraid I don't have any part no's, but there are a few ratio's to choose from. Hope this is of help to you. Let us know how you get on.
Regards Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Huzey

gearing again

Post by Huzey »

Hello again
Just found this on the LEGS website, www.legs.co.uk thought it might be of interest.

101, Early Range Rover and Stage One V8 gearboxes and transfer boxes are supplied as one unit. We can recondition either the main box or the transfer box, but we would have to prepare the customers own unit.
A choice of 5 different ratios are available for this transmission.
D.I.Y. Ratio change kits and overhaul kits are available.

regards Huzey
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
primsil

Post by primsil »

This topic is very interesting. I read a little while ago on LRO series forum of a guy who had tried several ideas, overdrive, rr gears & diffs and he had found they all made fuel economy suffer but were better for noise levels. He found that by lowering gearing to 4.3:1 (diffs) with standard transfer gears was the only way he gained fuel economy. This would indicate that they are underpowered. Whether a more powerful engine would change this is another question.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

I have swapped the transfer gears to 1.116 range rover ones; good pulling power and good top speed. this worked best.
I used to have a fairey overdrive. i did not like it as it added extra noise and I also forgot to change the gear of the overdrive. it was not handy either with a third passenger on the front row.
Now I have another gearbox in , which turned out to be a 1:1 range rover box. This is overgeared in first gear. I want to change again to the 1.116 gear set. I do between 6 and 7 km to the litre average, also on holidays in England/Ireland. It runs on lpg.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Onno

I would be very interested in hearing about your chnage of ratio's.

I have a parts catalogue and have been wondering exactly which gears need swapping.

I have a chance of a higher compresion 3.5 v8 out of a discovery so shouldnt have to many problems with pulling the gearing.

Jon
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Hello all,
I have read pretty much every post on changing the intermediate gears in the LT95 and i am currently sitting on a .996 set out of a rangy that i picked up off Ebay for AU $300 with a couple of extra gears as well. I drive a long stretch to and from work at 100k's/hour and was wanting to cut down on the noise and also get some better fuel economy. I just read that these gears will cut down on the noise but may not help in the fuel economy department??? Does this count for long trips in top gear as well? My 3.5 is beefed up a bit with no restrictors, headers and a single muffler exhaust system so i am not too worried about the loss of low end power. Any thoughts??

Cheers,
Chris
primsil

Post by primsil »

Wow sold an 81 rangie for not much more than that. It had a 3.5 injected motor with 3.9 cam and ran really well, it should have had .996 gears in it. Economy wasnt too bad but did cruise nicely at 110km/h. RR are a bit more aerodynamic than a stage1 though.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

yeah, the auction went crazy at the end!! I get paid in yank money so it wasn't that bad!!! Except for the fact that i pulled the box apart yesterday and i think i might have already had a low ratio intermediate gear in???? i did a trial run the other day before i dropped the tranny as i just installed a very small tachometer and my 3.5 runs at 2400 rpm in 4th at 100k's!!!! Unless the tach is reading wrong, i don't know how much lower the rpms can get????

Chris
nijweide

Post by nijweide »

If you want to know what gears are in your box this site may be helpful

http://www.vislandrovers.nl/modules.php ... visiedelen

It's in Dutch but if you scroll down to the LT95 it shows you exactly how the different gear-ratios look and how many teeth the gears have
109V8CSW & SIIASWBSofttop
firemanshort

How do you know?

Post by firemanshort »

I have read all the pro's and con's about the swapping of the hi-gear in the transfer cases. What I still can not find out is how do you tell what gear you have in your transfer case without taking the thing apart and counting the teeth on the gears.

I have an O/D attached to a RR gearbox coming over to me. I am not sure if I want to swap the O/D - or to swap the RR transfer gears - or to do both. I am not sure which year the RR gear box came from so I have no idea what gears are inside of it.

Is there any way to tell from the serial number of the gear box what gears are in side it or what year of truck it was supposed to mate with?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA