Restoration

Technical questions and answers
disco2hse

Re: Restoration

Post by disco2hse »

Good to see you're up and at 'em again. Life's twists and turns are often not predictable.

I think I'd use a metal heater pipe under there, but I'd also work out how I'd mount it with rubber wrapped clips otherwise you might find the vibration causing problems.

Good luck
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

⛔⚡Don't try this at home, or if you do, make your connections properly 🙄

https://youtu.be/UFvsRrTlruw
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

"oh Blimey" :lol: :lol:
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Fitted new dizzy today. I was struggling to see the very faded timing marks on the crank pulley, so first order of the day was to restore them so I can see them. I'd already turned the crank so that it was on combustion stroke on number one cylinder. That's why rocker cover is off again so that I could observe the valve positions (I couldn't turn it and stick my finger in the plug hole at the same time 😂).

Then a couple of marks for TDC and 6° before

Then turned it to the 6° position...

... and then put the dizzy in correctly aligned with number one.

I then tightened up the clamp and put cap back on ready for the new leads and eventual dynamic timing setup.

Rocker back on and ready for next job. I just need to decide what that is 🤔
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Fish

Post by Fish »

You could always come and do some of mine Cliff.... I've broken my hand so nothings going to be done for a while.. :?
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Fish wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm You could always come and do some of mine Cliff.... I've broken my hand so nothings going to be done for a while.. :?
Oh, that's a shame. Hope it doesn't hurt too much. 🙁
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

I decided enough procrastinating over the exhaust. I don't want to go off on the whole new system diversion at this stage so opted for a replacement LH manifold for the knackered original. It's quite a job sifting through various parts catalogues trying to identify the version that was fitted to a particular variant of the V8 and to which model vehicle and match to the appropriate downpipe. I think I've got it right but won't find out until I have all the new parts to hand.

I started with a LH manifold taken off of a Defender 90.

ERC5068 would, I believe, have been fitted to a RRC with an 11D V8.

This version of the manifold has its single port outlet at the rear end angled down the bulkhead

A bit of wire brushing the surface rust

... rust converter applied...

... and a quick spray over with some stove enamel. The original RH manifold got a coat too. I'll probably change this too if all goes to plan with the LH swap, but one step at a time.

I'm now waiting for the downpipe section to arrive. I hope I've ordered the right one (NRC4219).
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Will that fit inside the wing? :?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

Don't see why not, doesn't take up any more space than the original. It's just the position for the downpipe that's different.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Cool.

I've got D1 manifolds and they were a very tight squeeze. I still have the original manifolds however.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

A photo of your setup would be handy. I may have underestimated things.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

It will take a while. But the issues were the space inside the wings and where the pipes come out in relation to the chassis rails and the cross member underneath. Also, the D1 pipes are larger in diameter. Don't know about those ones.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

The downpipe I ordered arrived today, so straight out to test my plan.

First of all I took the front section with existing LH and RH down pipes and undid the clamps holding the downpipes in place.

Freed the LH downpipe and separated it

I had ordered what I thought was a genuine NOS LR pipe, unfortunately, I was unlucky with that and had to settle for the cheap Britpart version. Still, if all goes to plan, I'll be able to change the entire system for stainless later on, so cheap and nasty is OK for now.

Next, fit the manifold. I put the manifold gaskets on (correct way round) and then carefully put in place on the head

New lock tabs and cleaned up bolts and all fits nicely.

I then embarked on what turned out to be a true balls ache trying to get the downpipe and 'Y' piece to line up and fit. I couldn't get the downpipe to sit right and the flanges to bolt together evenly and parallel. It was a struggle accessing the flange studs and getting the downpipe to sit correctly between the manifold and fixing flanges. Turns out the Britpart pipe has a fatter more rounded olive than the genuine part and it didn't want to sit right unless being held in place. I did start off trying to fit it with a new copper o-ring gasket but it was obviously never going to fit with the Britpart pipe, so that was discarded. Eventually I worked out that it's better to fit the downpipe first and the attach it to the 'Y' section.
Maybe if I was an exhaust fitter I'd have known the best way to fit it. Anyway, I know now! Good news though is that it is the correct pipe for the manifold and is a straight swap for the one that was on there before.

The next series of photos show how tight the whole setup is, but no different to the original Stage 1 system other than shifting from centre manifold outlet to rear arrangement. Actually, I am a little concerned how close the pipe is to the clutch slave pipe, so I will do something about that and try some heat shielding or something.

Can’t quite believe how much faffing and fighting I had to do or how much time it took to bolt on a short section of pipe! I'll do the other side tomorrow. 😕
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

RH manifold today. I still have the old monstrosity but it does the job. It still had a sheared off stud in that wouldn't shift. After trying all the usual methods and wasting time getting nowhere, I opted to drill it out. Set it up on my pillar drill and tried for a dead centred and level drilling. I did alright and got it just about spot on.

I cleaned out the thread with tap

... and 3 new studs.

It was then pretty much repetition of yesterday's pain and suffering.
Bolted the manifold on without any problem...

... but it was another major struggle getting the downpipe to fit in place and the flanges bolted together and the other end back in the 'Y' section.

"You can't get quicker than a KwikFit fitter", I should coco!
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

A bit more done today, new heater matrix and heater control valve.

I was scratching my head wondering how I was going to fit the heater control valve mounting bracket to the edelbrock performer inlet manifold, then realised it was bolted to the head. Only one bolt so hopefully it won't work loose. I suppose I could drill and tap the manifold and add an additional fixing (the bracket sits on an airbox fixing stud on the Rover manifold) but I don't think it's necessary really,

so cleaned and painted the rusty bracket...

... and bolted it in place

I sold the Mrs and a kidney and got myself one of Bryan Bush's (DDE) control valves.

... and mounted it in place on the barcket

The valve is a nice piece of engineering and should do the job nicely. My only issue is the diameter of the inlets at 16mm being smaller than the water pump and manifold ports which are the larger 19mm size. The outlet and return for the heater matrix are same 16mm diameter as the matrix ports and alloy pipes. I haven't decided the (best approach for connecting the pump supply and return (possibly a reducer) but shouldn't be too difficult, just an annoying faff!

Next step was to complete the heater box and fit the new matrix. The matrix came with the vehicle when I bought it. It's supposed to be a more efficient heat exchanger so may as well fit it. I can always revert to the original if it turns out to be rubbish.

It slid into the housing nicely

... and the box went back together (after about an hour searching for the bolts and screws 🤨)

Mounted the box in its place, drilled holes in the replaced footwells and bolted all in place.

I dug out the alloy connecting pipes and realised how corroded they were...

... so cleaning and polishing time again

Dry fit time. I only had the old rubber pipes to hand as I need to go shopping, but it does the job helping me check alignment/positioning.

Not finished, but as good as.

What to do next?
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5