CV joint

Technical questions and answers
Geoff

CV joint

Post by Geoff »

Another in my series of stupid questions. Hoping map or anyone with more knowledge of these things than me can answer.

I bought one of these Stage 1 CV joints (AEU1828) Sold as NOS 'New other' due to 'signs of corrosion'. Resisted at original price but succumbed when considerably reduced. Arrived in original Leyland box with original protection over splines. No sign of wear on splines or elsewhere but some surface rust on what appeared to be non-critical surfaces, having evidently been stored insufficiently dry and/or oiled. However, the joint also appeared to be seized solid which, in any other part, would ordinarily have led me to return it immediately for my money back. But you all know how hard these are to come by now and I knew I was taking a risk in buying it - the only other I could find would set you back only slightly under a thousand pounds and I had forked out less than a hundred including the postage. So I decided to see if I could free it up, which I managed with WD40 and the wooden handle of a small hammer as leverage. With the latter I can move it to any position it is designed for, but not by hand. The ball bearings are all shiny and there's no corrosion on any of the actual bearing surfaces - so far as I can see - but the joint remains stiff. So my question is how freely must the joint move to be of any use?

After draining off the WD40, I lubricated the joint first with 3-in-1, then engine oil, finally gear oil. The biggest improvement came as soon as I applied the engine oil. For comparison, I already have one NOS joint, one very good used one (both attached to half shafts) and one joint that was replaced from one of my vehicles - and that's all I have to go on. The ball bearings on the latter show light surface rust but I can still move the joint freely by hand. The other two also appear to move quite freely, though harder to compare as the half shafts obviously apply greater leverage and I can't move the joints with just my thumbs on the joint itself due to the weight of the shaft (and no, I can't remove the shafts easily) I'm assuming the steering would apply some force to move the joint but am still concerned how stiff it still feels to me. Basically trying to decide if it's worth keeping or scrap and I should return it. Or if anyone has any other suggestions for improving it (since the CV joints on both my vehicles run in EP90 and not grease, I've not tried CV lithium grease, which is the only other thing I could think of - the other NOS one I have appears to be only oiled)

Sorry to be so long-winded - appreciate anyone's input/suggestions.

PS Of course, I can't be absolutely certain it is in fact NOS and not used, despite the box, as I understand these joints can begin to fail and start 'clicking' without visible signs of wear - my replaced one certainly has none visible to me apart from the slight rust on the ball bearings - I wasn't aware of a problem with it but it was replaced when I needed a new swivel oil seal fitting (I trust the garage and I supplied the new part - one of the last joints Famous Four had for £160 - this was some 6 years ago now)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Re: CV joint

Post by map1275 »

Pull it apart as per any CV.
Once greased, movement should be firm but relatively even in any direction.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for replying. So you're saying it should be initially greased, even though designed to run in oil in actual operation?
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Land-Rover CVs aren't, they rely on splash for lubrication. However your question was about bench testing.
I always grease before fitting. One for protection and two because CV grease is only a thicker version of One Shot. If it mixes with gear oil it won't do any harm.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks again for replying.