Stage 1 rebuild...

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Fish

Stage 1 rebuild...

Post by Fish »

Right thought I'd take a minute to start with a few photos and a bit of a slower rebuild to Geofs!

Mine is an origional 1981 Sation wagon with origional gearbox and engine.. I'll be rebuilding as a grey sand softtop station wagonfor scooting around the lanes..

Other than the colour change any chanegs will eb fully reversable and I'm keeping all the origional bits like roof etc etc..

I'll try to update occasionally..

Just got the roof off and stored away..!

Last edited by Fish on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish

Re: Satge 1 rebuild...

Post by Fish »

Other thoughts relate to engine and gearbox..

Thinking of doing the transfer ratio swap rather than rebuilding the fairy it has, I haven't got the proper linkage and a slightly higher gear set will be better for bimbling around. I'm not intending to do much towing..

The engine is getting a refresh but I think it'll only need a top end. Will it be strong enough for the higher ratio if well tuned without restricters or am I better putting high compression pistons in?

Also does anyone know a good radiator recoreer as mine is weepping?

Cheers
Cliff4WD

Re: Stage 1 rebuild...

Post by Cliff4WD »

Best wishes with the restoration. I can't see any of your photos I'm afraid. Not used them myself but have seen recommended for radiator refurb: https://vikingradiators.co.uk/
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Fish wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 am Right thought I'd take a minute to start with a few photos and a bit of a slower rebuild to Geofs!

You need to change your privacy settings on your Google Drive (?) to public for those photos.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
disco2hse

Re: Satge 1 rebuild...

Post by disco2hse »

Fish wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 am Thinking of doing the transfer ratio swap rather than rebuilding the fairy it has, I haven't got the proper linkage and a slightly higher gear set will be better for bimbling around. I'm not intending to do much towing..
Fairly common around here, RRC hi-ratio and leaving the lo-ratio intact.
Fish wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 am The engine is getting a refresh but I think it'll only need a top end. Will it be strong enough for the higher ratio if well tuned without restricters or am I better putting high compression pistons in?
It'll be fine as it is, but might get a little breathless on hills.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I'd keep the OD.
However the LT95 can endure the torque and vibrations of an Isuzu 3.9. If anything, the tapered roller conversion for the idler shaft while it's apart.

There's not much you can do to just the top end without getting very serious. There are supposed to be slightly later factory heads with improved valve seat material. Otherwise it's all the attachments that need fixing such as new lifters and de-coking the Black Death from inside the motor. Making sure your distributor can plot an accurate curve is as good a repair as any.
Fish

Post by Fish »

Can anyone see the pictures now, they show up fine for me?

Cheers
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nope
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Cliff4WD

Post by Cliff4WD »

No, the photos don't show for me either. How do you know the engine and gearbox are both original to the vehicle? Do you have the numbers listed on registration docs or somewhere, or are you going by condition and originality of how things are looking after 38 years? I ask because my gearbox and front axle numbers are correct for an 81 manufacture but it had chassis and engine replacement so I have no idea if actually original or not. I'm assuming mine are original due to part number.
Cliff

1981 109 V8 Stage 1
2000 Discovery 2 Td5

109 V8: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2161
My Disco Thread: http://www.thed2boysclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... =3&t=58130

LAND ROVER. TURNING OWNERS INTO PAUPERS FOR 70 YEARS
Fish

Post by Fish »

Gearbox is an assumption and I'll check later, the engine number all ties in to year and spec etc...
Fish

Post by Fish »

Right bit of an update, all the bodywork nearly off as I now have time and Buzzweld CIO and RE ordered for the chassis plus two outriggers which need doing and the rear cross member will need re doing as the fuel tank doesn't bolt in right, I think it was welded on not vertical.. will look at when all stripped.

Chassis isn't too bad there's even origional paint under alot of the old waxoyl just the tops and the rear outrigger and crossmembers which have suffered a little.

Right see if I can get the hand of sharing pics...

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nice workshop - envious!
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Fish

Post by Fish »

Thanks Geoff. The last Stage one i rebuilt was in a standard double garage and on the drive...
Fish

Post by Fish »

Cliff4WD wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 pm No, the photos don't show for me either. How do you know the engine and gearbox are both original to the vehicle? Do you have the numbers listed on registration docs or somewhere, or are you going by condition and originality of how things are looking after 38 years? I ask because my gearbox and front axle numbers are correct for an 81 manufacture but it had chassis and engine replacement so I have no idea if actually original or not. I'm assuming mine are original due to part number.
Cliff just double checked my numbers and the gearbox seriel puts in in a stage 1 and the engine number is correct although most sites say '82 but mune was built in Oct 81..

I'm therefore fairly confident that they are the origionals. overdrive must have been added as it has the lever coming up out the top of the seat box and not forwards and out the front..
Fish

Post by Fish »

Update after a Year!! and Covid stuff..

Chassis rebuilt and painted...

Rear Axle done..

Front Axle about to be done..

Not the quickest rebuild but there has been a kitchen go in the house and loads of other stuff done..

Intending to get to a rolling chassis for the beginning of next year. I can then do the gearbox and engine..
Last edited by Fish on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.