Rear tub floor

Technical questions and answers
ERC4558

Rear tub floor

Post by ERC4558 »

Has anyone ever renewed the floor panel on the rear tub?
Mine was holed in several places due to the steel cross members. Have had a look on ebay and wondered if a 110 floor is the same size?
the only other option is to buy some sheet and fabrcate one. Does anybody have any idea of what grade alloy sheet to get and know of any suppliers?
Eric
1983 109v8 county SW (undergoing restoration)
1986 v8 auto Strange Rover (Discovery/R/Rover Hybrid)
1997 Discovery XS v8 auto (4 sale soon!)
1996 Discovery ES v8 auto
nijweide

Post by nijweide »

LRM featured the replacemnt of a tub floor in a 109 SW three or four months ago. it seemed pretty straightforward allthough they had some tips on how to do it. the used a new britpart floor. for this. i imagine a 100 floor should be the same.
109V8CSW & SIIASWBSofttop
ERC4558

Post by ERC4558 »

Hi nijweide,
thanks for that I didnt realise that Britpart did Replacemet floors I think Ill check the price of on of those first, unless you happen to know the price?
Eric
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Eric-

I am soon to do this. Just get a set of capilers and measure the width of the floor for the correct sheet width. I am going to have a local aluminum supplier stamp out a pattern and then fold it with a press. You'll need to buy or fabricate the new underfloor crossmembers. They are still avaliable, as 110/90s carry the same crossmembers. Then you'll have to decide how you are going to attach the crossmembers to the new floor. Factory was flush rivets. Jonnyboy used bolts, but doesn't really like the way they stick up. Above all, rememer to use either waxoyl or someother sealant to keep the crossmembers out of contact with the floor. Use the parts manual available on johnnyboy's website to get an idea of how it all comes apart/goes together. Best of luck.

-Bobby
ERC4558

Post by ERC4558 »

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for that, I've already dismantled it a while ago as I originally wanted to keep as much of the original vehicle as possible, I'm now thinking of going back to this original idea. The work I have done so far is to repair the corroded parts on the two outer wing assemblies they had partial corrosion of the front section (the overlap that fits under the floor) and a couple of the top hat strengtheners had corroded slightly where they return under the floor. The original steel crossmembers where absolutely shot and the old steel/alloy corrosion had eaten into the alloy top hat strengtheners on the underside of the floor section and holed the floor itself. The front return section (drops down to the second row floor pan) was very corroded at the ends mostly due to the steel chassis brackets. I purchased another second hand SW tub off ebay (described as excellent) and from this removed the steel crossmembers and sent for hot dip galvanising. The floor on this tub was much better but is still not perfect (especially the return at the front) but I now intend to cut the corroded parts out and weld in sections taken from the original tub (sounds complicated but some photos would explain). Also once I refit the steel crossmembers I think I will also use some visqueen or something similar as a barrier to hopefully improve things further in the corrosion prevention department.
Whats the easiest way to get some photos uploaded and I'll post some photo's of how it's going.
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

The site makes it pretty easy to link to photos, but I don't think you can upload them to the BBS. I can host them if you want to send them via email.