Stage 1 LT95 gear lever?

Your adverts or pointers to other adverts, Ebay, recommended suppliers etc.
Geoff

Stage 1 LT95 gear lever?

Post by Geoff »

Does anyone know what this is?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover- ... 1438.l2649

Under the rubber gaitors on the gear levers on my Stage Ones there is what the above ebay seller refers to as a 'damper' and which also appears in the parts book. I don't know what these are, what they do, or how, and one doesn't appear to be present on the above lever. Can anyone explain for me?
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
map1275

Re: Stage 1 LT95 gear lever?

Post by map1275 »

Many gearsticks are two piece and vulcanised together. Creating a vibration dampener. This is poorly illustrated in the parts book.
On army Moke this was the weak point. Works Minis had a similar arrangement but they also added a piece of hose over the shaft, up to the knob.

I'd have to go and look but the presence of a dampener is the reason why the inner gearstick boot is a nightmare to change. You need supple rubber, luck and lube.
Geoff

Re: Stage 1 LT95 gear lever?

Post by Geoff »

Hm, such sophistication . Being under the gaitor, I never noticed they were there before this seller mentioned one, but now I recall that on my old 2.25 I kept a length of elastic tied between the red and yellow knobs to stop one rattling! (can't remember which) Anyway, thanks for reply.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs