Its engine swap time

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

After much messing sbout trying to find an engine that had less black sludge in it than my original it looks like I have finally found a decent one.

Is an ex MOD recon that has been crated and dry stored since reconditioning. It is supposed to be for one of these:

And according to this website it should create 135bhp @ 4750rpm & 205lb ft @ 3000rpm compared to 91bhp @ 3500rpm & 166lb ft @ 2000rpm the standard engine produces.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

I admit I would ditch my Stage 1 in a moment for a 101.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Me too, Its a shame the engine didnt come with a 101 attached :P

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

LOL. I like the 101 over the pinz and unimogs. seen all three together on a greenlane. They look like brothers.
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Because my old 3.5 engine is starting to get worn out I want to replace it or get in refurbished.
If I had the original engine in I would never have thought of replacing it, but the former owner already replaced that one by a second hand range rover one.

Most people at different garages I spoke told me they nearly only sell 4.6 engines (for range rover classics) and that they are not much more expensive then a 3.5 one.

I run on LPG now, but I think my vaporizer (and pipes) can't cope with the fuel demand of the 4.6 engine. Can running lean on LPG cause problems, besides the loss of power? And would it be possible to run it with my SU's for a while till I can afford a weber 500?

I really don't know what to choose for at the moment, maybe you guys can give me some worthfull tips / do's & don't s
primsil

Post by primsil »

running lean on any fuel will cause major damage. A 4.6 can be run on SU carbs without a problem, my 4.4 p76 RR is running SU HS6 carbs, they could do with rebuilding but that is another thing.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

If you are buying a new block, then a weber shouldn't be that much more of an investment. Unless, of course, you are buying from RPi. Check out summitracing.com and search for the Weber 500. I'll bet price and shipping will get you in still much lower than RPi. . .
jonnyboy

Look what I got!

Post by jonnyboy »

Look at what I just went and picked up :D

Look how clean it is

Just got to spend a few evenings assembling it with the water pump and manifolds for the stage 1 and its ready to go in.

Jon - M1CQO

My Website
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

arcticrover wrote:If you are buying a new block, then a weber shouldn't be that much more of an investment. Unless, of course, you are buying from RPi. Check out summitracing.com and search for the Weber 500. I'll bet price and shipping will get you in still much lower than RPi. . .
Carb only from RPI £275 + delivery
http://www.rpiv8.com/Carb-web-list-web.htm

Carb only from Summit $224.88 = Approx £ 130 thus leaves approx £100 (approx $170) for taxes and delivery
url]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku[/url]

I rounded off all the figures for convenience

Summit do kits with manifolds etc the same as RPI - Although I dont know which one applies (if any) to our engines
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch ... arch#rstop

regards

Ginga
Theres always a way !
Ginga

Post by Ginga »

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

This link didnt work.

It does look pretty and those of you whove read my previouse posts know im a sucker for pretty engine components :D

Ginga
Theres always a way !
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

The correct manifold from Edelbrock is the Performer 2198 listed here