originality

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
quilp

originality

Post by quilp »

hi ive bought a stage one but the previous owner has fitted power steering. would you think this as an acceptable upgrade; or does it greatly effect the originality, ive still got the ssteering coll, and original wheel it works great and dont want the faff of changing it back.
map1275

Re: originality

Post by map1275 »

Only the most original cars will command top dollar values.
If it's a traditional clamp-on design, without any buggery or butchery, then I wouldn't be worried as it's easily reversible. If it's one of the chassis-chop steering box from a different car arrangements...
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

If you've only just bought it, and the steering is safe then enjoy it, use it. Arguably the originality value only comes into play when you want to sell it. As map1275 has said, if its the usual P38 or similar clamped-to-the-chassis modification, then its easily reversible anyway.

If a previous owner has chopped the chassis and or crossmembers then its a different matter as this type of modification can affect the structural integrity of the chassis - if thats the case I'd replace the botched sections (have it done professionally if you can't weld to a high standard) and revert it to standard.

I'll probably be fitting P38 PAS myself at some point so that my missus can drive it safely, and to many people a well implemented PAS conversion is a worthwhile modification. Yes it means the vehicle is no longer 100% original, but it transforms the driving experience and many people have said PAS is the single best mod you can make.
quilp

Post by quilp »

its all defender done very well. is the steering wheel unique to stage ones or is it just standard 109 ive got it,but previous owner fitted a defender wheel, but a very nice one.
quilp

Post by quilp »

and by the way it drives lovely with it.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The steering wheel is standard Series 3. The Series 3 Parts Catalogue, which includes the Stage 1 ('109 V8'), and which would have answered your question, can be downloaded here:-

http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/p ... r-manuals/
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
quilp

Post by quilp »

gonna see if i can upload some pics its spit of yours. ps anybody going to malvern june,
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

By the sounds of it, your set up is done well. I wouldn't change that.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5