Overdrive

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
db
Site Admin

Overdrive

Post by db »

I have an overdrive (taken off a Range Rover) which I am intending to fit to my Stage 1 if I ever find the time to do it.

Having looked at the existing setup it seems that the hand brake cable runs across the back of the cover plate where the overdrive needs to go.

Also with the arrangement which came off the Rangie (which looks like a bit of a bodge job anyway) the overdrive lever will end up inside the cubby box.

I expect I can resolve these problems in some way but I wondered if anyone had an overdrive and could tell me (or even better send pictures which I could also put up on the site for the benefit of others) how it had been done on their installation.

Thanks, David
primsil

Post by primsil »

Since you seem to be the first here to do it, may I ask how it went? Thanks.
1985 110, 3.9 auto
Bumpkin

O/Drive Piccys

Post by Bumpkin »

DB
Get you some piccys at the weekend.I may have sent you a set already. I remember taking some.
tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

I've now put the pictures, which Bumpkin had already sent me, up on the main site: http://stage1v8.org.uk/overdrive/index.html

I still haven't got round to fitting mine. The operating linkage which I got from the Rangie puts the lever too far back for the Stage 1 (unless you don't have a centre seat or cubby box, since that's where it would come up) so I'll need to make something else and haven't had time to investigate further yet.

David
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

the operation link is different (much longer).
I have the fitting instruction. interested? send me an email
o.wielinga@quicknet.nl
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Hi

Could you post a copy of the instructions you have?

Thanks

Jon
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

I've managed to track down a reconditioned unit. I need advice from anyone who has one fitted if they actually make much difference. When I had one on my four cylinder the overdrive made more transmission whine than the engine did.
Basil

Post by Basil »

Hi, the handbrake cable on the stage 1 should be bolted to a bracket on the cover plate where the overdrive bolts to, just unbolt it and refit it in the same position with the overdeive in place.

I had the same problem with the cubby box as you describe, what i did was move the cubby box as far over to the passenger side as it would go and then put a bend in the overdrive lever towards the driver this gave ample clearance for it.

Its easier to fit to the stage 1than the range rover as you dont have to drop the box to get the overdrive in.

I took mine off in the end as when i changed the gearing and the size wheels i have i was way overgeared.

hope this helps Basil
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

I wouldnt be without the overdrive in my 88 diesel and intend to fit one to my stage 1 when I get it on the road. I am also thinking of fitting a V8 from a discovery so the few horses may help.

If you havent already try derestricting the engine which should give you a bit more power.

Jon

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website
Basil

Post by Basil »

when i had a series diesel i would not have been without the overdfive, made a big difference but did not like it on me stage 1.

I fitted 3.9 v8 out of a disco, took the injection system off and put it on twin su's that gives me more than enough horses.

Basil
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

When i went to Malvern in the HiCap last August, i had the OD in all the time. Made the trip much easier. Steady 75 all the way.I think i even did some overtaking! Never did that before in a Series motor. I have a spare OD if anyone is looking for one. Good, i've tested it. 200.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

If parcel across the pond wasn't such a pain i'd take it off your hands. . .
primsil

Post by primsil »

bumping for Dave.
1985 110, 3.9 auto