MOT Failure

Technical questions and answers
Andy Dawe

MOT Failure

Post by Andy Dawe »

just took the big green thing for MOT.
He gave up the test after 5 mins due to fuel dripping from the right hand side wing vent.

Took the vent pipes off the carbs and found the passenger side one was dribbling fuel on tickover.

These are new carbs supplied by Burlen Fuel systems. I stripped them down and found the passenger side carb full of swarf and the float height enormously out.

Checked the otherside appeared ok.

Reckon i must of got a friday built carb.

Here's hoping for my return tomorrow.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Went back again after cleaning out the carbs and resetting float heights etc.

Guess what failed on high emmissions. Bugger.

Back at garage again today for them to tune it up and hopefully give me an MOT.

Interestingly the MOT man stated if he was to bring the emmissions to what manufacturer specified then the thing wouldn't be able to pull itself out of bed in the morning.

Oh and his first ever drive was in a Landy.
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

Passed at last....

The garage managed to twiddle it and get it under the limit but stated they cannot tune it as no one in the garage has the experience to set it up properly.

Funny innit as cars have become more and more complicated mechanics have become more and more detached from the basics.

No Laptop no chance.

Oh well another visit to another garage.
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

Nice one!

When it comes to tuning try and find the garage that the local grass trackers use (if there is one!)

There used to be a garage near me that all of the local race and rally guys took their cars to for tuning and he was a wiz with twin carb setups.

Also try asking on the v-8.org.uk forum as someone may know of an expert near to you.

Jon - M1CQO

109" Stage 1 V8 Station Wagon - Now gone!
My Website