How Many Stage 1's Left on UK roads?

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
harry potter

How Many Stage 1's Left on UK roads?

Post by harry potter »

just had a look at Howmanyleft to see how many 109 Stage 1 V8's are left on the uk Roads
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2% ... V8+stage+1

Surprised that there are only 62 trucks on the road and 97 SORN. that leaves a grand total of 159 surviving in the UK that the DVLA know about. (happy mine is not one of the Sorns any more)

Can our overseas friends check their government websites to see what the surviving number of trucks are left in thier various parts of the globe.

NZ & Auz - X00's if not X000's
USA - X's - X0

regards
Harry
Mrs Bingham

Re: How Many Stage 1's Left on UK roads?

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Yea, seen that website before. I guess there are many more sitting around undiscovered in a barn somewhere un SORN. It does however put those figures into perspective and makes you appreciate how rare a Stage1 V8 is when you look up what was considered a relatively rare car in its day like an MGC or a Jensen-Healey for example and see how many of those are still left.

I wonder who owns the only remaining Austin Allegro Vanden Plas :lol:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
cornish rattler

Post by cornish rattler »

Its a shame as i bet some of them that are on sorn are half decent aswell but off the road due to being heavy on fuel for some owners or for something stupid :)
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I had no idea that the trucks were that thin on the ground - especially in the UK. Now I am burdened to take better care of mine.

You will never be able to find a web site or government listing of how many Stage Ones are registered in America since it was not a NADA (North American Dealer Area) vehicle. That means that all of the computer systems in the US do not have Land Rover Stage One or 109 V8 in the little pull down menus. So, the clerks behind the counter on the computer make it up.

For example, in Virginia, my truck is officially registered as a 1980 Toyota Land Rover. Importing and registering non-NADA vehicles is sometimes tricky business and I was just happy to get my registration at to get out of the Department of Motor Vehicles - there was no chance I was going to be successful in explaining reality to the pimple-faced clerk behind the counter.

As far as how many Stage Ones are in the States - I am not sure but I wager less than 25 (+ or -)
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Pageant Blue 109 V8

Post by Pageant Blue 109 V8 »

Make that 63 and 96, mine came off SORN last month. We're back on the road!
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

well done - how many years was yours off for "pagaent blue 109 v8"?
Pageant Blue 109 V8

Post by Pageant Blue 109 V8 »

I only SORN'ed it for a few months while some MOT work was done. New servo and master cylinder, hole in the chassis and rear axle shock absorber bracket disintegrated.

Then on the return back home the ignition switch played up and finally died in the driveway, so the last 2 weeks have been spent replacing that, and of course, whilst the dash is in bits, lets sort out the centre gauges and get those wired/plumbed in and working......

Does anyone know the Smiths OE part number for the oil pressure transmitter that mates with the 0-60 psi Smiths gauge? I've fitted new DRC 2479 (Intermotor boxed), twice, and still it gives a lower reading than the old leaky transmitter. Is DRC 242 the correct transmitter?
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Might want to start a new thread on this :oops:

The part number is right but obviously pot luck with what brand you get with the cheaper "replacement" ones.
L.R.Series possess to sell genuine ones - £125.00 though :shock:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Firstly, it doesn't say 63 "stage 1's" left, it says 63 109 V8 regulars (stage 1 is meaningless as its a nickname not the ofical model name). You can add to that the other listed 109 V8's being 9 Hicaps, 46 Station Wagons and 3 county station wagons bringing the total to 121 with another 158 on SORN.

Its not that simple though as the DVLA and vehicle owners are terrable at keeping records.
I bet there will be a few factory V8s (ie stage 1's) out there that wern't recorded as a V8 on the model name (this has nothing to do with the fuel type and engine size fields on the form) which won't be counted. Not sure who got to decide what an ofical model name is/was but if you look at some high volume cars from the 80's you can see several examples of a significant number of miss spelt or just alternative discrutions/apreveations of what is the same model. This does seem to be less likely on modern cars though, perhaps they are now from a dropdown list rather than made up by what the registering dealer thought it should be?
Some V8 conversions will also have managed to get 109 V8 on the logbook (there are a few that claim to be outside the 1980...85 window you'd expect most to be in when decalaired new at first registration, reimports might explain the later ones assuming the person at the office cared what they called it, local offices registering older vehicles seem to be the least acurate recorders of models), remember all older pre DVLA era vehicles will at some point have been added to the swansea computer and given a V5, at this point even with the original buff logbook the DVLA often ignore or incorectly record fields and its even more made up if the old logbook wasn't avalable "109 V8 zzzz" could seem a resionable title for someone looking for one to discribe a V8 powered LWB S2A thats returning to the road having been rescured from a 20 year spell in a headge and rebuilt around a V8 as a toy in the late 90's. Its also not uncommon for older vehicles (usally pre DVLA but comercal vehicles this seems to be possable on anything pre 2000) for the model field to be blank.

That said I could believe the figures, stage 1's should all have been registered from new on the swansea computer so there is the potential for the data to be resionably acurate, say 90%. This is not true of anything pre 1980's.

Best way to work out the potential error is by a forum like this, if everyone looks at their logbook and feeds back if its listed as a 109 V8 then thats good, if the model descrition is also accurate thats better, if lots of people say the details are wrong then HowManyLeft isn't going to be accurate. Personly I have my suspissions as to how rare a county is, there was 2 on ebay last week, is there really only 1 more station wagon left out there with go faster stripes?

Glen
(keeping an eye out for a V8 of my own in case you were wondering)