Alice to the road!!

Technical questions and answers
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Modification Approval...

It's not quite that simple as a lot of modification ideas will not pass in any way, shape or form. DIY brake installations/conversions being a chronic example.

Regardless of how the client rants about 'kits' and 'they saw on some one else's...' or 'their mate...' If they go to an Approved Person with a comprehensive idea and plan and with comprehensive details and pay the consultation costs, they may well come out with an approvable modification or be simply told No and why. But most client's ignore this and in many cases the client can't even tell you precisely what vehicle they have. Though this seems almost ludicrous, it tends to be the reality of most inquiries and inspections. Again it usually all stems from the client only doing or listening to what agrees with what they want instead of assessing all the points and seeing if they can reach an honest and accurate conclusion.
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I think that the main problem with Landrovers, in particular, the Series vehicles, is that they are very much a 'meccano' kit, which makes modifications very simple and easy. The trouble is that the vehicle can very eaisly loose it's identity, and it's roadworthyness.
In the UK the rules are changing, which is bringing modification of vehicles into question. Alot of people when they take their vehicle for it's anual mot are now finding that it now requires a single vehicle approval test (SVA), which is much, much tougher. (Vehicle basically has to conforn to currrent EU regulations!!)
The trouble is that elderly Landrovers don't fit into any of the 'criteria', as the system can't cope or recognise a vehicle platform that can have so many different configurations.
With both of my current Landrover projects, I am concerned that because they have been off the road for some time (over 10 years) that when I eventually get to MOT them, I could be called in for a vehicle inspection. It is at this point that the decision is made if it needs an SVA test, which could be very interesting!

Still I'll worry about that when the time comes. Got a long way to go!!
Need a few dry days to get some paint onto the bulkhead. Then I can re-fit windscreen,doors,gearbox,engine,seat box etc etc etc
Alicerover

Re: Alice to the road!!

Post by Alicerover »

Finally had some time to sort some more bits and pieces out.
Recient purchase was a new windscreen frame as the old one was going rusty where the water runs down from the roof. Had looked at re-galvanising or painting, but couldn't beat the £25 I paid for the frame :D
Glass is now sealed into the new frame and work has started on the nearside wing, which is in much better condition than the offside.
Just need to source the sealing strip for the base of the screen frame to bulkhead and I can bolt it back in!!
Will throw some pics on later of the progress made so far.
Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Alice's new anchors!!

As things have been a little quiet for a while, I thought that I would throw some pics up of the latest work on Alice!!
As you can see I have been a little 'buisy' sorting this lot out!! and a little lighter in the wallet!
Once I have got the front calipers fitted I will explain what I have learnt/found out and some of the issues involved :D
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Very exciting to see those disk brakes on your Stage One. Are those the Timm Cooper designed conversion kit? Look forward to hearing how you went fitting them. Hope you have a few images as well.

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Yes, the conversion is a Tim Cooper Kit, sourced via Roam OffRoad.
The guys at Roam have been extremly helpful, and I have had e-mail conversations with Tim, which has thrown a lot of light on this much talked about conversion!!
I have taken lots of pictures as I was bolting bits on, and I will get round to posting what I have done to achieve this. Just need to get the front calipers fitted to ensure all is ok.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Great! Look forward to seeing them and hearing how it was put together. Also are those parabolic springs on the front axle? If so what make of spring?

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Yes, I have fitted parabolic springs, sourced from Rocky Mountain.
On doing a little digging about, it seems that the quality of alot of the springs is a best 'questionable'. Most kits only offer a generic damper with those silly rubber gators which trap all the dirt in them!! The Rocky Mountain set up uses properly matched shock absorbers, with a metal tube shield.
I haven't fitted the shock absorbers yet as I still need to 'load' up the suspension to get it to settle before finally tightening all the bolts. The Rocky Mountain Kit is not the cheapest out there, but you can see the quality in the spring. Interestingly, they do a 'bolt on' assistor leaf for the rear springs if you need it. At the moment Alice has the standard three leaf parabolic on the rear. Will see how we go, when I eventually get her on the road!!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Would you mind summarising the important points from your email conversation?

That is, perhaps if you copy and paste snippets from the conversation, it might put to bed confusions and misunderstandings about the whole process. From our end, if we were to make such a conversion, then engineers will be involved to certify the changes. Are there technical drawings that show what is going on and dimensions, etc?

I must say, it is a very smart looking kit. I know what you mean about the quality of spring makers and dampers. I have seen some pretty shoddy work coming off the boat from China (even photos of springs that were wiggly).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Some pics of the front brakes now with the calipers fitted.
I'm now happy that everything has fitted ok, and it will all work. Over the next few days I will post my notes and findings.

Next job is to sort the plumbing out!
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Got bored after Christmas so fitted the Rocky Mountain window channels that I had ordered.
Bit of a nightmare 'digging' out the screws on the bottom rails and getting them out :? Well worth the effort though, the results are quite pleasing and a much, much better system.
Next on the list is to replace the rear doors as both of them are quite badly corroded. I have also bought a defender dash with a view to modifying it to fit as Alice's dash has rotted quite badly, will put up some pics so that the differences can be seen.
Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Update.

Today managed to remove the mid floor panel as there is some corrosion issues in the corners by the door seals which I might as well attend to sooner rather than later :)

[Image

Not much, but it would let in water. Gives me another chance to practice my skin repair techniques :lol:

The floor panel just needs a bit of a wire brush and a lick of paint. I was wondering if anyone has come up with an alternative fixing method to the screws and 'Z' clips. Or is it just a case of using nuts and bolts with penny washers?
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

SS nuts, bolts & penny washers. thats what l am replacing the Z-clips on mine with.

looking good progress
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Thanks for that. Hopefully getting to the point where I can start bolting bits back on now!!
I have decided that I'm going to make my own wiring loom, as I am going to be changing a few bits and bobs, mainly the location of the fuse box and I'm planning on using some alternative instrumentation :wink: I will put up some pictures as and when I start on that one. I need to sit down and draw up a wiring diagram and position all of the components to ensure I don't have any issues.

Starting to think about rust proofing, was going to use waxoil and work it into all the seems joints channels etc. Does anyone have a better suggestion or method??
Thanks
Spen
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Well, not had much time of late to work on Alice, but that is about to change :D
Sold my Disco 2, so I have got some funds and I have bought some new shiny bits to bolt on!
I will put up some pics of my efforts over the weekend.
The thought of walking everywhere is not appealing and with winter around the corner the focus is to get Alice on the road.
Spen