Thinking of buying a stage 1 V8

Technical questions and answers
cornish rattler

Thinking of buying a stage 1 V8

Post by cornish rattler »

Hi guys

I am new to this forum but not to landies as i have had a few s11's and 111's in the past but never a stage 1.

i know you can fit LPG conversions but can anyone tell me what sort of mpg i would expect on petrol as i am used to 2.25 petrols and a tdi converted one.

i am not expecting diesel mpg but want more than a 2.25 petrol as the most i have had from a 2.25 petrol was 16 mpg and i fully restored it inc a new recon'd engine / gearbox with o.d so would be happy with around 20 mpg.

is this doable on petrol i don't mind doing any mods to it if need be to achieve this but i am not interested in an LPG conversion as LPG is slowly catching the price of petrol up and it means filling up another tank aswell.

what do you think :)
Mrs Bingham

Re: Thinking of buying a stage 1 V8

Post by Mrs Bingham »

To be honest fuel consumption is not great but then my ones a toy and not an everyday drive so it matters not to me :wink:

With everything running well and in standard form my one returns an average of between 10 – 15mpg. In the warmer months I’ve had as much as 19mpg on a run.
When driving in snow and in very slow conditions it’s down to single figures. Last year’s snow for example and barely not getting out of 2nd gear I was getting around 3mpg – yes 3! Towing quite a heavy caravan this summer was the most surprising, this figure was negligible from the average figures already stated :)

I don't run with gas and with the price of lpg I also don't see the point unless you are putting the miles in.

If you are thinking of getting a Stage1 then get it - you'll love it :wink:
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)