brake bias valve

Technical questions and answers
noexitroad

brake bias valve

Post by noexitroad »

hi team,
would somebody who owns a stage 1 with disc brakes on the front and drums on the back please do me a favour.....
the master cylinder should have 2 pipes which run down to the chassis to a brake bias valve. this will have 2 outlets, one to the front and one to the back brakes.
i want to know whether the front pipe from the master cylinder goes through the valve to the front brakes or whether it goes to the back brakes please. :?:
this is for a stage 1, 109 as used the by nz army. ( i believe the 88 inch were connected differently)
i am beginning to think that my bias valve has been plumbed up incorrectly by a previous owner but need to confirm.
Alicerover

Re: brake bias valve

Post by Alicerover »

Mine was plumbed up as you describe, front pipe on the master cylinder to the front of the shuttle valve then onto the front brakes.

Having fitted disc brakes to my stage 1, I am also replacing the master cylinder for a Defender one. The reason being that the series master cylinder has a bias of 50:50 front rear. The Defender master cylinder has a bias of 75:25 front rear for the disc/drum brake setup. The early Defender master cylinders were dual line, later ones went to a three line system.
I have disc brakes all round, and I will be fitting the three line system to keep the braking system all Defender, to ensure correct braking effort. If you have the standard series master cylinder, you could, under heavy braking, have more braking effort at the rear wheels, causing them to lock up.

I hope that this has been of some help
Spen
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

how can i tell exactly which master cylinder i have?
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

If you didn't fit it then it could prove difficult to identify. How well do/did the brakes perform? That may indicate which one you have fitted.
I will have a look at my old master cylinder and see if I can verify it from any numbers on it.
Spen