Trailer Light

Technical questions and answers
firemanshort

Trailer Light

Post by firemanshort »

What does the trailer indicator light on the center dash panel indicate to you?

Why does mine always flash with the first flash of the turn signal and then never again?
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

That means it works. It flashes once when no trailer connected. when trailer lighting connected it flashes all the time. lets you know the bulbs are working..
firemanshort

Re: Trailer Light

Post by firemanshort »

How does it work?

I can not find the trailer lamp on my manual cicuit diagrams.

Now that I am towing my little camping trailer around with me a lot - I am wanting to see if I can make this feature work.

I have a UK spec truck. But I am in the USA. I have wired in a "flat-four" USA style trailer plug by just splicing in the correct wires in the right rear tail light pod.

When i use my turn signal (with or without trailer connected), the TRAILER lamp flashes one time - like it supposed to.

My question is how does the lamp know that a trailer is attached and then flash all the time? If I knew how it was supposed to work - I am hoping I can alter my USA style trailer light plug to work with this feature.

Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

What you will need is a flasher relay with trailer warning light connection. The relay will operate the trailer warning light when it senses the extra load of the trailer lights. They usually give one flash of the warning light without a trailer connected as a bulb test.
Most electrical automotive suppliers should be able to sort you out with one. You may need to do some wiring to get it all working.
Hope this helps
Spen
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

I am not following your suggestion exactly. (Must be your English versus my American language :lol: )

Are you saying I need to buy an additional flasher (mechanical bi-metal) or I need to buy a relay? After I buy this - how / where do I wire it into the circuit?

I was lead to beleive the the additional resistance of trailer bulbs would "trigger" the Trailer dash light to work on every flash. If that were so - then it should work how I have it wired now - and it does not work - so that does not seem right. (unless I need to light my trailer like a gypsy christmas tree???)
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

I think that we are both talking about the same thing!!!
The 'flasher' or 'relay' is the electric switch which makes the indicators flash on and off. If it has the trailer warning light circuit, there will be an extra connection that is for the warning light.
The first thing would be to check that the bulb for the trailer warning is ok. I'm not sure on what the wiring loom does as regards provision for trailer warning light, have yet to sort out the wiring on Alice, but try and trace where the wire/s go from the back of the bulb. (one should go to earth/ground the other should go to the flasher/relay)
I will have a look and see if I can find a wiring diagram or draw you one to show how the circuit works.
Spen