Post by disco2hse »

Not specifically Stage 1 related, but includes Stage 1's

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=76658
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks for the post. Very interesting video and I learnt a lot. I am still unsure however as to what type of original front diff and front axle a Stage One has fitted. What is the name for this diff and axle combination?

The rear is a Salisbury but are they 10 spline or 24. I have been told that they are a 3.54 ratio front and rear. Is that correct?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid but I am still learning about all the idiosyncrasies of my Stage One even though I have owned it for about 12 years. Touch wood I haven't had to do anything to my diffs other than change oil in the time I have owned it, hence my ignorance and these questions.

Regards Warrick.
Mrs Bingham

Post by Mrs Bingham »

Rear Salisbury and front is Rover (unique to Stage1) both 10 spline and 3.54:1
1983 Stage 1 V8 Hardtop (Mrs Bingham)
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Mrs Bingham wrote:Rear Salisbury and front is Rover (unique to Stage1) both 10 spline and 3.54:1
Thanks Mrs Bingham for the information. I thought the front axle diff combo may have a more identifiable name than Rover, however it seems that it is just that.

I was looking through parts catalogues the other day trying to work out the differences between the Stage One Rover front diff axel combo and a conventional Series 3. It seems that the swivel hubs are different and also the fact that the Stage One runs CV joints as opposed to UJ's.

What improvements can be made to the Stage One diff/axle combo if you were going to rebuild the front. I am thinking 24 spline after watching the video on this post but am interested in hearing from others who may have done it.

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover