1977 prototype restoration

Anything else related to the Stage 1 V8
lr10

1977 prototype restoration

Post by lr10 »

Howdy Stage 1ers.

I'm about to restore my Stage 1 prototype.

Chassis number 91 46 33 83 C

Engine LR10

Let me introduce this Landy:

Apparently a Norwegian ship-owner "saved" it in south Africa a long time ago.

I can only suppose that the few owners never appreciated the smooth ride as the kilometre meter only shows about 28000 kilometres.

When I found it, it had been forgotten in a barn for years covered in hay, so I thought Hey!

I'm the kind of driver that has a facility to sleep behind the wheel so I thought that this must be the car that I'm looking for.

Now I've taken it apart to change all the necessary gaskets and bearings. I gave the engine to a company to clean it thoroughly. Then I used an etch primer and engine paint (duck egg) which I think makes it look really nice.

The bulkhead and chassis where almost rust free which makes me think that... well, I don't know. It's good anyway.

I didn't like the green colour so I'm about to repaint it in Limestone. I think that it will look more friendly like that.

I'm a good carpenter but sort of a beginner as a car mechanic, so I hope that I'm not going to destroy anything while reassembling it. If there's anyone out there with some good advice I'm more than happy for any support.

I never had a Land Rover before but after having speaking to some Land Rover owners I have the impression that it's like getting a new family! Everyone seem to love their Land Rover and wants the best for all the others. I never got this attention with my old Volvo, although I really like my old Volvo too. Is that called bigamy? All Land Rover owners usually have another car too for some reason. Does that mean that we're all Mormons?

Carl
Last edited by lr10 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
lr10

Post by lr10 »

Oki-dokie, she's about to turn Limestone now though. Show you all about it another time.
lr10

Post by lr10 »

lr10

Post by lr10 »

If there is anyone who knows what these markings mean?

Background: This Stage 1 was tested in South Africa and apparently these markings are original from the testing period around 1977.

It's a fun souvenir, I just need a Sherlock to tell me what they mean.
Pageant Blue 109 V8

Post by Pageant Blue 109 V8 »

Police station phone Numbers in Lh side
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Welcome!
Yes your LandRover will very rapidly become a member of the family, you need to find a name!! and just like the rest of 'the family' it will constantly be after the contents of your wallet!!!!
If you need some help, just yell.
Pageant Blue 109 V8

Post by Pageant Blue 109 V8 »

Llandovery and ammanford are in carmarthenshire. Brecon beacon country.
lr10

Post by lr10 »

[quote="Alicerover"]Welcome!
Yes your LandRover will very rapidly become a member of the family, you need to find a name!! and just like the rest of 'the family' it will constantly be after the contents of your wallet!!!!
If you need some help, just yell.[/quote]

Thanks!

-contents of my wallet: I've bought a lot of new spares for the engine. So far though I'm sanding and painting and there does not seem to be an end to it. It will be Limestone when I'm finished. The engine is "duck egg" and I think it looks nice and friendly.

-a new family: !!!! These Land Rover people seems to be just fantastic! And thanks to you Alicerover. I'll try to share the progress. Next is the breaks...

-a name? Should I give a name to my car? For me it's not really a car (comparing to modern standards) it's an ANIMAL! Though I don't think that "Animal" is a suiting name. My goal is to make a car that's friendly and inviting. Not like an American style "watch out, bling-bling I've got a really small dick" kind of car.
lr10

Post by lr10 »

[quote="Pageant Blue 109 V8"]Llandovery and ammanford are in carmarthenshire. Brecon beacon country.[/quote]

Is that in Great Britain? Then how come it's left hand drive and with a kilometre counter? As I don't know the history of this car this seems interesting.

All I know is that it was taken from South Africa by a Norwegian ship owner a long time ago.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

There is/was an airforce base at Brawdy, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Dyfed and their phone number is/was 0437 4571. The air force had an open day there on 21 May, 1981.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 01048.html

The military colour on the engine also supports the premise that this was an MOD vehicle. The air force often treated their vehicles differently to the army. I have seen all kinds of air force variants over the years. Often they have been painted various colours that other MOD vehicles would not have received.

RAF 202 squadron was a search and rescue unit in the 1980s. It makes sense that they would have been stationed at Brawdy and most likely performed rescue operations in Wales. That would also explain why there are police phone numbers readily available. It is possible this vehicle was used in search and rescue operations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._202_Squadron_RAF

Now, this throws the idea of the vehicle being a prototype into doubt. For one thing, an operational air force vehicle would definitely not have been a prototype. An operational air force vehicle would most likely have had its engine painted duck egg blue.

As for the left hand drive. I would suggest that if this were an operational SAR vehicle, it will have definitely been RHD. At some point in its past it may have been converted to LHD, probably when it was taken to Europe (SA drive on the left of the road). That may also give some reason for odd markings on the vehicle.

However, if it were an MOD SAR vehicle, it is possible there is a record of it. I would suggest sticking the VIN into Calvin to see what emerges.
http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html
Last edited by disco2hse on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Jules

Post by Jules »

Looking at the Land Rover FAQ site, the chassis number starting with 914 is for a petrol basic 1972 -1979 LHD export model. Stage 1's start with SAL. Is there more investigating you need to do into the history? Has someone put an older chassis number on it to try and make it tax exempt?
lr10

Post by lr10 »

[quote="disco2hse"

Thanks! Happy to see so many theories.

Some of my thoughts:
The colour isn't military, as far as I can tell. The engine wasn't painted at all.

Concerning the air-base: Common sense, if this car was there, is that they could play around with it a little before it was tested in SA. As I've been told that it was down there I can only tend to believe... why should the previous owner lie about that? We all know that any car manufacturer wants to sell to the military, fire brigade etc. And if they had a new prototype why not let some military play around with it a little?

The chassis numbers and all that:
In "prototype Stage 1s" topic. Mr Soggy presented all the prototypes with engine numbers with chassis numbers. Mine corresponds to one of those.
No prototype has a chassis number starting with SAL.

What is a VIN number and where do I find it?

Finally, I'm impressed of your knowledge and inspiring thoughts of my Stage 1. What matters to me right now is that it's in pieces and I can't wait to hear that V8 roar again.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

lr10 wrote:Some of my thoughts:
The colour isn't military, as far as I can tell. The engine wasn't painted at all.
This is what I meant when I said that the air force often use various paint schemes. It would not be unusual for them to have a vehicle painted in some other colour. Having said, and with the unusual chassis number. I wonder if there is some hybridisation going on here.

Is the cross member under the gearbox bolted on or welded?

I thought you said in an earlier post that the engine is painted in duck egg blue.
lr10 wrote:Concerning the air-base: Common sense, if this car was there, is that they could play around with it a little before it was tested in SA.
Not likely. The world does not work like that. The air force would not play around with a Land Rover so the company can send it to some other country.
lr10 wrote:As I've been told that it was down there I can only tend to believe... why should the previous owner lie about that?
Not really interested in the POs motives.
lr10 wrote:We all know that any car manufacturer wants to sell to the military, fire brigade etc. And if they had a new prototype why not let some military play around with it a little?
The processes for testing vehicles are organised and structured. The services do not "play around with it a little" although civilian might.
lr10 wrote:What is a VIN number and where do I find it?
On a plate fixed to the firewall, usually on the left when you are looking into the engine bay.

Should look like this:

Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

VIN is a topic that should have been well covered by now through the 'Register' which never happened. I'd post my own database if I knew how to present it on this website.

It is also a good basic topic for a permanent article area which we still don't have.

If you car is a prototype then it will not and can not have a VIN. If your car is preproduction then it will be from the Land-Rover chassis number period. Therefore having an issued chassis number from what ever assembly line it came from or a generic/special number from BL.

BL went to the pre VIN sequence circa late '79 (14 characters) and circa '80 added the international manufacturer's code making a true VIN which is 17 characters only, no more no less.

This is all basic Land-Rover & BL research/knowledge.

In the case of your car I'd be wondering about the lump of scrap steel with a number stamped in welded onto the chassis. I'd be decoding the chassis number, finding concurrent models and working out how to re-stamp it in its original size, font, format and location.

Incorrectly stated previously is that our range of vehicles start 'SAL'. They don't! 109 V8 entered production in the 14 character period.
Jules

Post by Jules »

My apologies for stating the Stage 1's start with SAL (all the ones I've owned have) my point was the serial number is incorrect being only eight numbers. A point that you concur with, together with the metal plate welded on in the wrong place.

I feel this is not a general discussion but an abrupt argument!

PS: Cannot should be one word in the context you have used it.