1981 Stage One steering box

Technical questions and answers
wpalmo

1981 Stage One steering box

Post by wpalmo »

Hi All,

I am in the market for a new steering box for my 1981 Stage One Truck Cab. Can you still buy them as the worm gear has corroded causing the chrome surface to pitt. I can't find anyone to rechrome the gear in Western Australia. My mechanic has suggested to try and polish out the damage but I think it should be rechromed or replaced so the bearings will have the best chance of giving trouble free service.

I have tried some of the usual suspects for a replacement such as Paddocks etc but had no luck sourcing one. Has anyone on the forum rebuilt their steering box? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Warrick.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Read your parts book.

Most of the critical parts are still available new. Pinions tend to be the week point as you will find on most forums.

Oddly, there are very few listings for new boxes. What there are tend to be very expensive. There are also a variety of subsequent part numbers for the complete assembly and I have never been able to work out the later ones.

The units are straightforward to rebuild but fiddly and time consuming. You will undoubtedly find that the relay needs attention also.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks Map1275,

I see that you are also based in Australia. Where a-bouts in Australia are you based?

Do you source any parts locally or do you import from the UK? Where do you source a parts catalogue from for the Stage One? Is that information found in the Stage One Supplement Manual? I have looked in the download manuals section on the forum and it is not clear what part number the Stage One Steering shaft/worm is. Do you know what part number it is?

Appreciate your help.

Regards Warrick.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

I assume you have a Leyland Australia Land-Rover 3.5.

The downloads section of this website is a bit of a mess and could be far clearer. If you have a good look you will find the Series III parts list and the supplement. I have never seen a copy of the Australian supplement.

I am in Brisbane.

Although I buy the odd item in Australia, most comes from England. There are certainly NO parts suppliers in Australia that I would recommend. I was buying quite a bit from New Zealand but this appears to have either dried up or the parts have gone to ground.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Here's a link to the Series 3 Parts Book (which includes the 109 V8) online:

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/ ... arts-book/

Don't know if this will be of any help.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks Geoff. I have had a look and all the parts for a Stage One are listed. Just have to get my head around all the suffix's and make sure I have the right part number for a 1981 Stage One V8. This is a great resource to have available online.

And yes map1275 my Stage One is an Australian Leyland Land-Rover 3.5. One thing I have always been curious about with the Australian Stage One's was if there were any that were purchased by the Royal Australian Airforce. I believe the colour that my Stage One is could possibly be an Airforce specified colour being a light blue grey. As far as my limited research has delved is that the Stage One in Australia was only sold to the civilian market unlike in New Zealand where it was purchased by the armed forces. Do you know if any were purchased by the Australian forces?

Regards Warrick.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Two as per the REMLR website.

But instead of jumping to the fantasy conclusion that you want to hear, do you have some proof that your car is anything but a standard civilian model?
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

No proof other than the colour made me ask the question. Do you know what features or chassis numbers would indicate an Australian Military Stage One? Also can you give me the link to the REMLR website as I would be interested in having a look.

Regards Warrick.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

So what is so special about the colour? Your car has some special colour that no other civilian spec car had? Or does it just have the standard light blue?

Google REMLR
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks for the REMLR information. I just had a look and saw that the Navy appears to have purchased at least 2 of these vehicles same colour as mine for beach clearance work. I am not claiming mine to be an ADF Stage One, but am certainly more interested now in finding out more about their role in the ADF.

It does not seem like there is a lot known about the purchase of these vehicles other than the four images posted on the REMLR site. Is this all the information that you know of about the Stage Ones in the ADF?

The 2 Stage Ones look very similar to the truck cab I drive. Do you think that these 2 RAN vehicles could possibly have been civilian issue purchased by the RAN? Also if it is only these images as a record that the Stage One was in ADF service there could possibly have been more. Australia does have a some what large coast line and these two could not have been expected to service all RAN installations.

I live South of an ADF bombing range in Western Australia that the Navy, Airforce and Army use that is only accessible by 4WD and uses about 40km's of beach. I would imagine that this would be the case in other parts of Australia to. There could have been more than just 2 Stage One's in beach clearance duty.
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Why would there have been????? As per most ADF ranges, they are unoccupied most of the time and in most cases the military use green fleet B vehicles. White fleet barely existed in the ADF at that time.

So far you seem to be jumping or hoping for conclusions solely based on the colour of your vehicle. Expanding on your logic, light blue couldn't be used for anything else, unlike the countless light blue, red, beige, gold and the odd white vehicles that were sold to the public.

The REMLR website does (or used to) have a short explanation of the two vehicles in question as part of the site. Straightforward local purchase to meet a one-off need.
Last edited by map1275 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

No not jumping to conclusions as I can't see the importance of claiming military heritage in a vehicle. I am just interested in knowing more about Stage One Land-Rovers like most people on this forum. Would love to hear from someone who owns one of those two vehicles in the images.

Out of interest, the range just north of me is only off limits to the public when the ADF are bombing which is probably about 6-8 times a year. The beach part of the range is accessible to the public outside of these times and is well used by fisherman and surfers. Large amounts of the Western Australian coastline has been used for firing by the ADF and has signs posted warning of unexploded ordnance's up and down it's length.

Posted below is an image of my vehicle on the range a couple of years ago.

Finding those uncrowded West Australian waves by wpalmo, on Flickr
map1275

Post by map1275 »

What is the colour of your car stated on the Dulux decal on the top of your radiator?
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

map1275 wrote:What is the colour of your car stated on the Dulux decal on the top of your radiator?
Hi Map1275,

I will have a look at the paint code but it will have to wait as the Stage One is in the workshop in bits however I did have an interesting response from a REMLR member named Gary on the AULRO Forum. He is certain that there was more than 2 Stage One vehicles in ADF service. The link to the post is

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-3/1520 ... ork-2.html

The quote from Gary is below.

"I cannot speak for the ADF overall but there were quite a few Stage 1 wagons and utes used by the navy. (certainly many more than two)

They were all the Navy sky blue colour (not the landrover sky blue colour) with white roofs.

They were civilian versions with no military aspects but some may have been subsequently fitted out for their use as Clearance Diving support vehicles, gunnery range vehicles etc.

Garry"

Seems like there are more than 2 out there but I am not sure if any have been found or identified. I would be interested in knowing if any one does have one that has been purchased from the ADF.

Regards Warrick.