1981 Stage One drum to disk brake conversion

Technical questions and answers
wpalmo

1981 Stage One drum to disk brake conversion

Post by wpalmo »

Hi all on the Stage One forum,

Didn't know that there was such a forum until the other day. I discovered it completely by accident while searching for brake conversions. I am a Stage One owner from Western Australia. My landy is a truck cab and I have owned it for about 12 years. The vehicle is my only form of transport and is used every day mainly on the bitumen but weekends it is used off road to get me to the remote surf locations that Western Australia is famous for.

I am keen to upgrade the brakes from drums to disks on my 1981 truck cab, at least the front anyway. Has anyone on the forum done this conversion to a Stage One and if so what is the best way to go about it?

I have done some research on the net and see that Zues, Rocky Mountain and Heystee manufacture kits for this conversion. I have also just come across a company in California called Roam Offroad that makes a very nice looking kit as well.

Has anyone used one of these kits and if so what are they like? Look forward to hearing from knowledgeable forum scribers. Also looking forward to contributing to future discussions.

Regards Warrick.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi,

Welcome aboard. Great to hear you are using your vehicle for what it was intended.

For the conversion thing. That is something that has come up a number of times on the forum. There are quite a few variables and legal issues. Rather than having people here run through the same arguments, click on this link -> http://bit.ly/JRmOeu
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Thanks for the reply and great set of links to the topic of Stage One disk brake conversions disco2hse. Much appreciated.

I have had a good look through the links and it makes for interesting reading. A lot of people who would like to do the conversion to a Stage One but from what I can find no one who has done it.

It seems some people have done the conversion using Zues and Haystee kits to the standard Series 3 Landrovers but the Stage One front axle is a different ball game, excuse the pun.

I have had correspondance from Roam Offroad in California and they do make a kit and tell me it will suit a Stage One front axle but from reading the links you have provided me I can't see how one kit could suit both the standard Series 3 and Stage One front axles. Maybe I have missed something but would still love to hear from someone who has done the conversion to a Stage One using an off the shelf kit.

I will continue to look through the links further in hope of finding some answers. Maybe it will have to remain as Landrover intended as a drum set up for a bit longer.

Regards Warrick.