Hello/S1 Rebuild

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
landdani

Post by landdani »

I have used the heritige archive service, but it was not for free, is your archive free in Gaydon ? If yes then I am interested.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one

Post by 5988 »

You have to pay if you want certificate etc
however if you go yourself then its free to look (but you don't get a certificate, only what you write down)
For me living about 50 miles away ill go look, obviously for you its not much use.
When i go ill let you know , and look yours up as well while im there
22900013a

Post by 22900013a »

I don't know if Gaydon covers vehicles this late, would be interesting to know though! If its anything like your previous rebuilds this will be a stunner once its done!

Post by 5988 »

They do - I know of someone who looked up a stage 1 only 15 chassis no's away from mine
I will contact them first to check though
22900013a

Post by 22900013a »

Thats useful to know! Not that I have anything that late, but if I get asked...
Jamie_grieve

Post by Jamie_grieve »

300 TDIs are still beeing built, they are ROW trucks
Alas, not so. I was working for the HALO trust when we bought the last 65 of them off the production line. We also bought loads of engines too. We have no idea what to replace the older vehicles with now. My preferred option is the santana/Iveco massif.
The last of the ROW spec ones are really ropey. When I did the expat fleet training I used to punch a ball point pen through the roof of one that rolled to demonstrate how thin the material was.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

That's what I thought Jamie, and about the Santana/Iveco I have spoken to the NZ Sales Manager at Iveco here in Auckland and, well, I think getting parts for small vehicles would be expensive and difficult. Sure there are plenty of big Iveco's running around but they do not, for example, intend on selling the Santana and there are very very few Daily Vans about. :(
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

Made a bit of progress today (well tried to ....failed :evil: )
not being worth digging the LR out for a few days, decided to sort the overdrives out,
I have one with worn out clutch sleeve and input shaft (decided thats scrap) and two were supposed to be good, one evidently not as the output gear is covered in rust, the other looked good

so started with the one looking good, there was no oil in it, but some general dirt (been sat with cover off) so stripped it down to clean it. Having absolutely no wear to the input shaft splines (common OD problem) looked like it hadn't done much either

OD 1 in pieces
once parts out found this (input gear)
and this (mating layshaft gear)
along with a damaged rear bearing and casing

next plan was to use the casing from OD 2 and then the output gear from this one, with the rest of the bits from OD 2 to replace its rusty output gear.

OD 2 in pieces
removing the rear cover revealed a mangled shim washer
:roll:
digging further in
input gear damaged on this one as well
:cry:
and the laygear damaged
and the clutch sleeve for it (rusty)
this is the other clutch sleeve i have, from OD 3 (also no good)

Started to take OD3 to pieces, only got the covers off, but all ,ready found bits of metal...hoping the input gear and laygear have survived, but as it got dark ill have to try again tomorrow

if not its staying as a 4speed, and ill get some RRC transfer gears for it sometime
Last edited by 5988 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

The consistent damage seems to indicate a design flaw. If you install it with that then what are you introducing to your box?

Most people I have heard from seem pleased with their decision to go with the higher ratio top gears.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

had a play with OD3 leading to another pile of parts

And another problem
and matching damage to the laysahft gear .... 3 OD's all with the same problem .... :mm (this one cam of a gearbox that was as new inside, yet this is so bad :shakinghead
and as with the others the damage is only on a couple of teeth, but easy to see from this how the first one pictured failed ...this isnt far away, the second one only a bit better
another common theme to them all, is indentations to the inside of the synchro hub where the bearing runs (maybe as the bearing isnt spinning some time - not worked out if its engaged or not when its stopped)

also common to all three is allot of wear the shafts, all the layshafts have started to go through the hardening as have the output gears, and in places the main-shafts. Also allot of discolouration suggesting they've got hot ..... (doesnt show well in the pic)

wont b having an OD now, the problems with one may be neglect , but three with identical problems and symptoms.......
if i could be bothered i could take dads OD to bits from a RRc box....i think i know what ill be find though

on the plus side the bearing seem better done than in the 4/6cyl ones

and for general interest this is what it all looks like without the casing in the way (lay-shaft would be a bit further down normally)
Last edited by 5988 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 5988 »

Made a bit of progress today,
Got the radiator if now got home (only took 6 months to get it) tidied up, cowling refitted, along with painted expansion
And refitted (it leans forward a bit when the brackets are all in)
Dismantled the front panel to straiten it out , which is now done, need to paint it sometime then it and the grill can go on to protect the rad

Hopefully have a prop flange and LH exhaust manifold coming from france next week so thats some more bits out of the way - can fit the exhaust then,
Need to rob the RH manifold from the 110 engine ive got with the proper cold air intake
V8_Disco

Post by V8_Disco »

looking good! you around for a while?

Aidan
1982, Stage 1 SW LPG
1999, Disco 2 4.6 Stage 1 Heads ES Multipoint LPG
1976, 88 SW
1973, 88 Truck Cab

Post by 5988 »

V8_Disco wrote:looking good! you around for a while?

Aidan
about 3 weeks
V8_Disco

Post by V8_Disco »

cool, busy for the next ten days but might be around after that

A
1982, Stage 1 SW LPG
1999, Disco 2 4.6 Stage 1 Heads ES Multipoint LPG
1976, 88 SW
1973, 88 Truck Cab
landdani

Post by landdani »

can you pout some extra photos for the radiator?
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one