Hello/S1 Rebuild

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos

Post by 5988 »

done some more dismantling,
mains and big ends are worn out - crank is ok though
the rockers of the 3.9 have a bit of wear so not worth swapping- going to fit new shafts to the old ones, then see how they are bores will need honing then new rings fitting.

pile of parts
big ends a bit worn
mains even more worn
Last edited by 5988 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Guess that answers your question about the crank seals huh :?

Good thing you seem to have enough space to spread out in though.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

still waiting for engine parts today, so have atached the bulkhead rust....maybe should have left it looking solid, now lots of holes, and a pile of pathes waiting to be welded on (tomorrow)
finaly decided on a colour, it will stay Java green, having decided that the paint on the bulkhead that hasnt faded looks quite good
alos now got some new dash pannels, a steering wheel (to replace the 110 one) and a few other bits to replace damaged ones

drives side-this as hidden behing two sheets of aluminium screwed either side

passenger side and top rail were the result of a big hammer

Last edited by 5988 on Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 5988 »

some pics of the cam - bit dead
Last edited by 5988 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 5988 »

not been updating this, but so far,
engien is back together and re-fitted
bulhead stripped back and painted
some of the dahs re-fitted
found lots of melted wiring in the chassis ...some po obviouly didnt remove it before welding
fond 2 gallon of petrol in the tank though ...so thats some free fuel for the S2
rear axle is re-built and fitted with new springs
chassis welding is now finished...didnt do that bit myself - dad did that (though learning on the chassis wouldnt be a good
idea) - some of the previous repirs were rather scary ....playes just peeled off in palces ....cross member wasn realy held the weldign was so bad....and it would have passed an mot as there werent any holes :o
gearbox is also been checked, all seals and gaskets done and diff lock freed off and now about to go in ...so should be running soon ...once ive bodged a fuel system and cooling

currently stuck for a front prop flange for it ....any ideas ???
and alos fuel pipes, and maybe a rear prop ...unless a 110 prop fits ...hopefully

rolling chassis
with new tub trial fitted
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good stuff :)

And when you've done that you can come over and do mine :D

What about a Rangie front prop flange?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

Rangie flange wont fit the stage 1 prop
Ive got a RR flange on the box atm , as the po ran it with a RR (or 110 or something) prop not the stag1 shaft, ...not a problem immediately, wont be needing front wheel drive anytime soon

Post by 5988 »

bit of an update
gearbox now fitted - had to get a rear prop made as couldnt find a stage 1 prop and nothing else fitted
overdirve was dead so not fitted for now - need another
clutch now piped up and working properly
cant find a cover for the flywheel housing - seems to be differne to normal V8 one
trial fitted the rear tub and adjusted the front mounts to fit properly (took quite a long time to line it all up well)
fitted the old doors and adjusted the bulkhead possition to get some decent door gaps
trial fitted the seatbox - the 110 one ive got to use wont fit , so going to need to repair the S3 one
got the exhaust trial fitted - turns out a stage 1 Lh manifold is different to RRc and 110V8 , but fitting the 110V8 down pipe to the RRc manifod, mates with the stage 1 exhast fine (unless you have LHD )
got the engine running today with a temporary fuel and cooling system, runs reasonably well given the tming is a rough guess and the carbs arent balanced or set up.
warmed up properly , no smoke and no odd noises, gear box selects all gears well and runs smoothly, diff lock works but is slow to respond ....maybe 20 secs from pushing button to it engaging - is this normal
some pics with the bodywork on
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

About the manifolds, yes that is the case.

About the CDL, that should be immediate - no delay. Check that you do not have any leaks in the vacuum pipe and that the ends are correctly fitted.

And...

I dare you to leave the panels those colours :D
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

disco2hse wrote:About the manifolds, yes that is the case.

About the CDL, that should be immediate - no delay. Check that you do not have any leaks in the vacuum pipe and that the ends are correctly fitted.

And...

I dare you to leave the panels those colours :D
1 - thanks wil check the pipes...have another gearbox so may swap the actuator
2-erm.......would save me alot of work :lol:
landdani

Post by landdani »

5988 wrote:

overdirve was dead so not fitted for now - need another
clutch now piped up and working properly

diff lock works but is slow to respond ....maybe 20 secs from pushing button to it engaging - is this normal
1- insted of overdrive you can replace the gear box with a 5 speed gear box
2- I don`t know about the difflock, it supose to be vocume operated so it either ON or OFF ?
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one

Post by 5988 »

bit of an update ,
video of the engine running,
now some bits painted, and them more pannels rested on- now sheeted up for the winter...will come back to it next year ...plan of i been done for end of summer didnt work :lol:

V8_Disco

Post by V8_Disco »

thats looking great, I hope my work on the bulhead is not as much as that!

unusual cab roof,

Overdrive, I have an offer on a couple at the moment, but I cant find a stage 1 OD linkage ...

as you are not going to use yours for a bit, any change of hiring it so I could get some copies made? your less than an hour away from me?

Aidan
1982, Stage 1 SW LPG
1999, Disco 2 4.6 Stage 1 Heads ES Multipoint LPG
1976, 88 SW
1973, 88 Truck Cab

Post by 5988 »

V8_Disco wrote:thats looking great, I hope my work on the bulhead is not as much as that!

unusual cab roof,

Overdrive, I have an offer on a couple at the moment, but I cant find a stage 1 OD linkage ...

as you are not going to use yours for a bit, any change of hiring it so I could get some copies made? your less than an hour away from me?

Aidan
Thats quite minor bulkhead work compared to some of what ive seen ...
Cab roof is a tropical truck cab roof, normals seen on ire engines or export vehicles - actually there for a practical reason-stopped the condensation and as much heat in summer

Yes you can borrow it at some time, or i can do proper drawings of it , but at the moment im at uni , and the vehicle is all sheeted up with parts thrown in the back so not practical till after Christmas (can dig bits out when im at home)

Mine is from a 110, not sure if the linkage is correct, but it fits (well on mine, but ive got 110 transmission tunnel etc)-looks the same but knowing LR probably isnt
V8_Disco

Post by V8_Disco »

Cool

I am around New Year, Might be able to bring the Stage 1 down for your to look over

Indeed the bulkhead is reltvly minor but I want to get mine sorted out before i put the old girl through another MOT... with work at the moment I would take some time to complete

intesting to note the 110 linkage

Aidan
1982, Stage 1 SW LPG
1999, Disco 2 4.6 Stage 1 Heads ES Multipoint LPG
1976, 88 SW
1973, 88 Truck Cab