New Stage 1 owner in Bucks

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Matt Braddish

New Stage 1 owner in Bucks

Post by Matt Braddish »

Hi there,

After reading a few articles in magazines and on the internet, I have sold my lovely 3 series BMW softop to make way for a Land Rover...the BMW was far too nice and relible!

I figured that it wouldn't cost much more to run a stage 1 than a 2 1/4 109, so after seeing one advertised in Leicester, I took my mate who has a 109 2 1/4 and after some negotiations, GOX458W, a white Stage 1 flatbed was mine.

The previous owner has spent a fair bit on it, and it came back down the Motorway without a hitch, much to my amazement.

It needs new doors, some work on the noisy gearbox, but other than that, it all seems fairly good. There is a Land Rover clearout sale at Finmere this weekend, which may yeild some useful spares. I will try and post some pictures when I take some.

Matt.
Matt B
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi Matt,

Welcome aboard. First things first though, got some pic's? ;)

Correctly tuned you may even find the Stage 1 to be more economical than the 2.25, especially if you are hauling heavy stuff.

I wouldn't be too amazed at the reliability issues. I regularly take my old beast on trips of several hundred km at a stretch, and it never misses a beat. Actually the engine, transmission and other moving parts seem to go a lot better after a long hard workout.

The gearbox on these things are traditionally noisy, so don't go getting carried away. The LT95 is a tough old bird. Provided there is no serious rumbling, grinding, or that it's not jumping out of gear, then that is its normal running noise. Given a little time you will get quite used to it. Remember this is not a German BMW.

The first order of business for you will be to give it a complete fluid change and service. Get to know the old bugger and learn where all the grease nipples are. Take the service order back a static point then get into a regular servicing rhythm every 5, 10, and 20,000 km.

Now, that clearance sale sounds interesting. Can you take some pics of you go down? Let us know what went, and if you have the space I reckon there might be others on this list that may be willing to make a deal for appropriate parts.

Unfortunately for me I am on the other side of the globe :(
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, I do think the gearbox needs a bit of work as on tickover in neutral it is quite noisy until the clutch is depressed, presumably stopping the gearbox from turning. It is also a bit noisy in first second and third, however when in fourth, it is fairly quiet. On the plus side it doesn't jump out of gear at all. I am presumimg this is bearings inside.
Matt B
sebking

hello

Post by sebking »

Welcome!

(My stage one arrives at the end of next week)

Where in bucks are you?

Seb
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Matt Braddish wrote:Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, I do think the gearbox needs a bit of work as on tickover in neutral it is quite noisy until the clutch is depressed, presumably stopping the gearbox from turning. It is also a bit noisy in first second and third, however when in fourth, it is fairly quiet. On the plus side it doesn't jump out of gear at all. I am presumimg this is bearings inside.
Actually you know, that sounds fairly normal ;) But, if in doubt, there may be some on the list here who can have a listen and tell what they think.

The LT95 is very robust and unless it has not had its oil changed regularly, or has been run without oil, it is unlikely to need to work.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Matt Braddish

Post by Matt Braddish »

Hi Seb,

I am in Bow Brickhill, Milton Keynes.
Matt B
choc-ice

Post by choc-ice »

Hi newbie :D

I picked my Stage 1 up a couple of months ago and it was very happy on the motorway at 65-70mph, but I do have overdrive and 235 tyres so the top gear ratio is quite a bit higher.

Handy link here for topping up the gearbox oil, should be your first port of call if it's noisy. http://stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=804
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Matt
Do not worry to much about the noise. If its the whooshey noise which i suspect it is as my noise also goes when the clutch is depressed.I am told by a reliable source that it is bearing noise.Mine has been the same for the 4 years i have owned the vehicle.I have done a few long trips 0f 500 miles with no problems.I have engine oil in my box, i am told this is the correct oil.Welcome to the forum.
Lets ave a piccy then.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County