Hello, I am dani, this is BARIJA

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
landdani

Post by landdani »

The next week I will go to the market and see what prices and offers I can get.
The car is in the garage yard now.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

5988 wrote:
landdani wrote:It will cost around USD 1400 for a used one :shock:
My brother will never trust a land rover again, especially he drived a DODG that day, what a car, our car was the only one that stoped and not went through the obstacles.
Dont know what the exchange rate is but one seen running is about £100 over here ...guess there allot more common in England that with you
what would shipping cost ...I guess allot but could be worth thinking about

What are you doing with it now. Rebuild the one youve got, new engine, sell it and get something else?
Quick currency conversion suggests that USD1400 converts to £887. That would surely more than cover the cost of freight from England (which isn't that far away), but I am sure there are many engines that are nearer.

If anything I would shop around for an engine before committing to getting rid of the car. That price sounds a bit too high to me. I am also sure there were a lot of the 3.5 rovers sold in your region.

So far as trusting a LR is concerned, well they are just a machine like any other and you trust a machine only as far as you have maintained it and how well it has been treated. Do I trust my Stage 1? Of course not. Do I trust that I have kept it maintained? Yes but I can't vouch for the previous owners and what they did to it (I have found some pretty horrible things). Do I treat it well? Only so far as I know that most things I break can be fixed, so I don't worry about bashing it against clay banks but there are certain things I am very careful about and temperature, water levels, oil levels, and electrics are things that I keep a careful watch over.

I am afraid Dani that, from what you have said, the problem arose because you drove it when the temperature got too high and continued to run it. Then the damage was done. The same thing can happen to any engine regardless of make but the tolerances are more critical in an alloy block - and most engines these days are alloy anyway.

If you want a really indestructible engine and truck then get one of these ;P

It's a Dodge.

Oh, and I have taken George through obstacles that have stopped most other vehicles I was with. All off-road vehicles require knowledge of the operator on how to handle it.

I'm sorry if that is too harsh but you know, it is only a machine and it is the operator that handles it successfully or otherwise.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Dearest dearest Alan, thank you for your unesty.
No, I am glad of your comment, olways app.
That dodge won`t be a bad car :) .
what I want to say is It was only a short trip on asfelt in the winter, it was nat the "sahara" , what should I do If I went to africa?
I have chaked the fiul, water and oil, all good.
How could I ever "over use the enging" ? I am not Mr. 4x4 hero!
My brother told me that we must have seen the old photos of the car twoice, the previous owner (the army) pouted an extra fan, sur was a good reason for it .
But the garagist know that car, and he should have told and worn me to replace or fix the cooling system .
Of corse he was ready to sell me "his engine", 42000 plus the gov. tax and his charge (total of about SP 62000= USD 1400 )
The cost is very high and it is a very rare market.
wonderful sport!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Dani,

If you read the posts on this forum, especially from the guys in Australia, you will see that outside temperature isn't a major factor in how long the engine will last. That is, unless you get into extremes like some do.

There is no reason that your truck would not function in North Africa provided it is treated well.

You said the previous owner had installed a fan but I wonder of there was already another problem. It seems to be fairly common for people to put in another fan or to replace the factory fan with an electronic one but from what I have seen and heard these are not necessary unless you are doing something that is extreme.

Had you at any point checked the thermostat? Was the existing fan working properly? Had you flushed the cooling system recently (needs to be done on a regular basis)? When your mechanic installed the EFI did they take into account that the engine could be running hotter than previously? Was the spark on the engine too far advanced? Were all your wheel bearings working properly? What were your tyre pressures? Did you have the correct type of oil in your engine? Was the oil pump working? When was the oil filter last changed? Had the engine been thrashed some time in the past and the cylinders glazed?

These are all possible factors in an engine overheating, plus there are many more. The thing to learn from this, and this applies to any modern engine, is that as soon as the temperature gauge starts to climb up towards the red, pull over and stop the engine then try to figure out what's wrong to cause that.

About your engine price. Looks like someone trying to take advantage :(

I am sure you can get a better price. These engines are *not* rare, there were hundreds of thousands of them made over the years and they were put into several cars that Rover produced.

Oh, it doesn't take much to break something. Last summer I was at a relatives farm and we were driving through a paddock when I lost traction o the dry grass going up a hill. I put the foot down a little harder to push past but it was just enough seize the side wheels and pinion in the front diff :oops: A couple of seconds was all it took. I was able to drive and have only just repaired it. Required a whole replacement diff head plus other parts that needed repairing too. We all do it, that's why there is this forum. Just look at what Stirling has had to repair :D
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

I Would have to agree with alan on the engine
Thats far to much,for one
Are you sure its completely broken, sounds to me like the garage ma be trying to sell you there engine rather than sort yours
does it turn over still?

and Aluminium engines (such as the rover V8) are very intolerant of getting hot

As for over using the engine
The Rover V8 in a stag 1 is so under stressed unless something cause it to fail it should go for ever, take a look on the first few pages of my rebuild thread- that engine ran smoothly and silently
and to give you an idea ...the engine in this is the based on the rover V8 ....if it can manage that you aint over using it in a stage 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Chimaera

as for it getting stuck where others didnt - was that on the snow you posted pics of? if so im not surprised the tyres look very road based
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I just love the sound from those TVRs !

The car had chains on so traction should have been ok. But I don't drive in snow, or at least very very rarely. We don't get snow here.

Dani, In that video did you have it in low range? The engine seemed to be working very very hard. Much harder than it should have been. Also, did you have the centre diff lock engaged?

When I am driving on the beach through soft sand I am always very careful about the engine temperature. I keep a close watch on both the oil and water gauges. If either starts to climb too fast I will stop. Soft sand driving would put the same amount of strain at what I saw you doing there. The other thing I do is drive in a lower gear so there is less strain on the engine and more torque delivered to the tyres.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Dani,

I just remembered, the Iraqi army bought a large number of these. Surely you can find a way to get at those parts vehicles?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

yes, I was checking the thermostat all that day, never over 85 c.
Yes that fan was workin.
The last videao is for a previous occasion, so it dos not count. :wink:
The engine was broken after (actuallu during) a one sharp hill on asfelt, but the road was all climbing any way.
No, I did not chek the radiator.

(When your mechanic installed the EFI did they take into account that the engine could be running hotter than previously?), no.

(Was the spark on the engine too far advanced), their is an electronic device fot that, I have replaed the old one.

(Were all your wheel bearings working properly? What were your tyre pressures) I don`t know.

(Did you have the correct type of oil in your engine? Was the oil pump working? When was the oil filter last changed) The oil was 2 weeks new, but I don`t know the type, we replaced the oil pump (but used) 3 weeks ago and I don`t know about the oil filter.

(When was the oil filter last changed? Had the engine been thrashed some time in the past and the cylinders glazed?) I don`t know.

Wel, about repairing the engine, I told my bruther about your suggestions, but he told me that their is a " HOLE" in the engine. :shock: :cry:

About that video, yes i was using the lowrange sometimes, thogh the high was working too, and yes the Difflock was engaded (actually the swich is not working so it is always on)
Do you think that I should vave used second or third lowgear?

I don`t know about that army, the old one is totaly destroyd, are you refaring to the new army?
wonderful sport!

Post by 5988 »

landdani wrote:yes, I was checking the thermostat all that day, never over 85 c.
Yes that fan was workin.
The last videao is for a previous occasion, so it dos not count. :wink:
The engine was broken after (actuallu during) a one sharp hill on asfelt, but the road was all climbing any way.
No, I did not chek the radiator.

(When your mechanic installed the EFI did they take into account that the engine could be running hotter than previously?), no.

(Was the spark on the engine too far advanced), their is an electronic device fot that, I have replaed the old one.

(Were all your wheel bearings working properly? What were your tyre pressures) I don`t know.

(Did you have the correct type of oil in your engine? Was the oil pump working? When was the oil filter last changed) The oil was 2 weeks new, but I don`t know the type, we replaced the oil pump (but used) 3 weeks ago and I don`t know about the oil filter.

(When was the oil filter last changed? Had the engine been thrashed some time in the past and the cylinders glazed?) I don`t know.

Wel, about repairing the engine, I told my bruther about your suggestions, but he told me that their is a " HOLE" in the engine. :shock: :cry:

About that video, yes i was using the lowrange sometimes, thogh the high was working too, and yes the Difflock was engaded (actually the swich is not working so it is always on)
Do you think that I should vave used second or third lowgear?

I don`t know about that army, the old one is totaly destroyd, are you refaring to the new army?
The hole sounds like a con rod has come through that block
:shock:

Im not aware of that been a common problem on rover V8's, Id guess the big end bearings are worn out, and one has started to sieze, (possibly just age and wear or maybe a lack of oil to them ) and as you drove it up the hill (Could be a complete coincidence that it was going up that hill- if this is what happened the damage has been done over a much longer period)

Problem is untill you get a knocking from them you have no way of knowing there worn out (other than maybe a slightly low oil pressure), so they could have been worn since you bought it and just waiting to fail.
How many miles has it done (youve seen the pics of mine, that had 90k on it and no sign from outside anything was wrong)
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

5988 wrote:The hole sounds like a con rod has come through that block
:shock:

Im not aware of that been a common problem on rover V8's, Id guess the big end bearings are worn out, and one has started to sieze, (possibly just age and wear or maybe a lack of oil to them ) and as you drove it up the hill (Could be a complete coincidence that it was going up that hill- if this is what happened the damage has been done over a much longer period)

Problem is untill you get a knocking from them you have no way of knowing there worn out (other than maybe a slightly low oil pressure), so they could have been worn since you bought it and just waiting to fail.
How many miles has it done (youve seen the pics of mine, that had 90k on it and no sign from outside anything was wrong)
Could be, although usually the crank will break first. But anything is possible.

I would think that if the big end bearing was knocking Dani may not have heard it.

@Dani. It could be that these things all just came together and the result was a busted engine. It is unfortunate but can happen to any vehicle. Military vehicles are often very badly treated by personnel so there may have been other issues. With the work you describe though, I would be suspicious that something had been done to cause the damage and I would check what oil filter was used, what grade or type of oil, how much oil was put in. It does sound as though it was not related to the cooling system but with the lubrication system. That kind of thing can happen with the wrong grade of oil or if the oil filter was not changed it could have got blocked.

@Dani. About the Iraqi army, it was the old one. I understand that when the Brits came in they grabbed as many of the Stage 1's as they could to use. But apart from the Australian and New Zealand forces, they were the largest buyers. At least there should be many engines around.

Good luck my friend.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Whatever the reason was, do all of you get a good care of your engines, don`t be neglegant as I was. :oops:
The plan so far is to wait o get some extra money, then I will think it over.
wonderful sport!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Good idea. Time has a way of smoothing things out.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

disco2hse wrote:Good idea. Time has a way of smoothing things out.
I agree, There have been allot of times so far in rebuilding mine ive wanted to give up and sell or scrap it ....have a break and come back to it and you wont want to :lol:
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Here is something interesting I was just reading. Don't know how correct or accurate it is.
Cheap oils are the cause of a great many serious engine breakdowns. Although the manufacturers of cheap oils can give accurate information about the lubrication properties of their oils, seldom do they detail the cleaning and anti-sludge additives in their products. To make matters worse, rarely do the engine problems occur while the cheap oil is in the sump, and this is why: a cheap oil is run for one or more service intervals of let’s say 10 000 kilometres. Then the vehicle is treated to a high quality oil either by the service centre or the owner who now has a little more to spend. Now, the excellent cleaning properties of the expensive oil have to do the work of the many kilometres run with the cheap, non-cleaning oil.
The sludge is cleaned from the engine and is filtered by the oil filter, which soon clogs up. If there is enough sludge to block the filter the engine’s lubrication system fails and the engine seizes. This is then blamed on the new oil or the service mechanic. Oil is the life blood of your vehicle.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

It is something to consider. :idea:
wonderful sport!