Newbie from Virginia

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
dlittle

Newbie from Virginia

Post by dlittle »

It is great to find this site. Started checking out this site right before purchase of Stage 1. Didn't know that much about Stage 1's until browsing this site. Great info. Just bought a 1981 Stage 1 five door, tropical roof with full rack. Bought it from a guy in Virginia that imports a couple of Land Rovers a year. It has 49,500 original miles and is mainly stock except for electronic ignition. Some rust in the footwells and that is it. Interior looks almost new after the clean up.

I'm not sure if this is an original five door because on the rear cross member there are tabs for a rear tailgate. Anyone have any ideas?

Tried to post some pics but am not too computer savy.

Looking forward to fixing her up and having fun. And I am sure I will have lots of future questions.
Larosto

Post by Larosto »

Hi dlittle,

if you want to know, wether you have an original statin waggon, you must have a look at your chassisnumber. There must be an M at a special position, and as far as I know, the 5th letter must be a V. Have a look at the side www.landroverclub.net, there you can find more about it. I hope it helps you a little bit. Myy car is an original Stage One station waggon, the chassisnumber is SALLBCMV1AA141624.

wish you to have much fun with your Landi

Horst
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi
Welcome dlittle to the forum from Cornwall UK.I have a Stage 1 HiCap.Lorosto.
Heres a breakdown of your number from a website called Clifton. Just type in your VIN and this is the result.

CalVIN, the Land Rover VIN CALculator

SALLBCMV1AA141624.

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LB Model: Stage One V8
C Wheel base: 109 inch (LWB)
M Body type: 4-door station wagon (LWB)
V Engine type: 3.5 litre V8 petrol, carburettor
1 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 4-speed manual (LT95, or other)
A Model year: 1979 to 1987 (All models)
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
141624 Serial number

Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
dlittle

Post by dlittle »

Horst and Terry thanks for the info. It is an original 4-door station wagon!

The VIN is SALLBCMV1AA163824.

Still not sure of the tailgate tabs. I would like to post some pics if anyone can help. I have them in my computer but could not get them to post.

Dane
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Use the host called photo bucket.
Cut and paste the image tag to this thread.
SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LB Model: Stage One V8
C Wheel base: 109 inch (LWB)
M Body type: 4-door station wagon (LWB)
V Engine type: 3.5 litre V8 petrol, carburettor
1 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 4-speed manual (LT95, or other)
A Model year: 1979 to 1987 (All models)
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
163824 Serial number
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

dlittle,
Welcome to the forum. I have an Australian delivered RHD 1982 Stage 1 but i am in the US Navy stationed over here for 3 years and will have the beast back in Norfolk in July! Where are you at? You can check it out in the Introductions and Photos section under "another new stage 1 owner" posted by me 1toughv8. I also posted some pictures of my gearbox rebuild in the technical discussion section under LT95 out in about 4 hours!!! i will look you up when i get to Norfolk.

Cheers,
Chris

ditto what Bumpkin said about photobucket, that is what i use. You can register for free then upload the images you want and cut and past the img tags into the message body here---works like a champ!!!
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Hi Dane! Welcome ot the Forum. That makes three US Stage Ones on the forums. I wonder how many others there are.

Bobby
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

your car probably has a new rear crossmember fited as they tend to rot.

the replacement rearcrossmembers have standard hginges fitted.
dlittle

Post by dlittle »

Again thanks for the info and all your help. Have not had a chance to try posting pics.

Chris, I live in Wytheville, VA. It is in southwest VA just south of Christiansburg/Blacksburg. It is about 5 1/2 hours from Norfolk. I bought my Land Rover from a guy in Chesapeake. He has about 20 Land Rovers in his backyard. You might have heard about him. His name is Robert Davis. He refurbishes Land Rovers in his spare time and makes adapters for engine conversions for Land Rovers. Great guy and knows everything about Land Rovers. I hope to see him this fall at the MAR.

Hope everyone has a great week. I has snowed here about 3" in the last couple of hours. Can't wait until spring.

Dane
dlittle

Post by dlittle »

Hey it looks like I have gotten this to work. Here are the before pics.

ImageImage
SPYDER ROVERS

Post by SPYDER ROVERS »

Welcome to the club. I am a newbie also to the club and happen to live in Florence Mississippi. Love your rover. My wife and I are looking at the pics and she is instructing me that a trip to Virginia is now in order to see your rover. I think she wants me to to take her on a trip. super nice rover again and welcome.
If you dont live to the fullest, youre already dead.
dlittle

Post by dlittle »

Thanks for the compliment. Here are some pics after she has been cleaned up.
SPYDER ROVERS

Post by SPYDER ROVERS »

I am glad to see that you have removed that gaudy county applicay off the side doors. I have never liked that and thought it detracted from the asthetic beauty of the truck. she cleans up nicely. Bet you turn some heads traveling the roads.
If you dont live to the fullest, youre already dead.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I agree with Spyder Rovers. The County decals always looked naff, just like the original Discovery decals. Very 1980's Leyland with, much better without. The guy at Landrover in charge of decals must have retired in the early '90's as things improved after then. :)

Very nice looking wagon. One day mine will look as good (if the cash and will power hold out!).
dlittle

Post by dlittle »

One of the first things I said to myself when I saw her was that those stripes have to go. You could tell that it had a respray and that the stripes were not original. All it took was a heat gun, a little acetone and some rubbing compound with elbow grease.

After driving quite a bit the last six months the left swivel ball and seal needs to be replaced. And I have been having problems with the brakes. After sitting for a day or so they pull hard to the right for the first 5 to 10 pumps of the brakes. Then it will be fine for 10 minutes and then pull to the left very hard. A friend said it could be that the brake calipers need to be rebuild. Any thoughts?