Hi guys, introduction Stage1 109 Ex NZ Army

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
gary_in_nz

Hi guys, introduction Stage1 109 Ex NZ Army

Post by gary_in_nz »

Hi,
Must be my luck, I was surfing the net and happened to come across this place, a place dedicated to the Stage 1. Nice work guys, good to see.
I'm from New Zealand, where some of the most rugged and variable terrian can be found, and thats why I have my Landy.
I bought it off the NZ government in May 2006, after looking and checking half of NZ for a decent LR. I heard about the Landrover army auctions and decided to take a gamble and buy one of these trucks. I bought the 11th one on the block of about 120ish to be sold that day. As it turned out it was a great investment. The truck was running a bit ruff when we started it to drive from the lot. after about 1km of driving, we pulled over and pulled the spark plug leads off 1 by 1 untill we found the bad omen, plugged it back on and has been running sweet ever since. We drove this truck 420km to home (From Palmeston North to Gisborne), and it didnt miss a beat, which in itself is a real test of durrabillty and reliabilty as the truck had been sitting dormant for about 1 year previously to the aution.
Its by far not the quickest vehicle around but you sure get some people staring and asking questions when you stop.

My Rover:

1985 Landrover 109 2 door canvas top.
Running the classic Rover 3.5L V8 which has a rev limiter in the rotor of the distributor, this was to try to stop the army boys from giving the trucks "too much stick".
the electrics are a 24 volt system, and when the truck has all the com gear and radios etc, has 6 batteries to power. the alternator is best described by a mate of mine as 'a small charging device'
the Matte Dark Green paint is pretty well complete except for the roof rack and the bumper and small patch on 1 guard. it looks rugged, how a good truck should.
I have only done 1 mod really and thats in stall an 8000 kg 'recovery hook' as specified by some 4wd clubs here in NZ.
There are some 15 x 8 inch steel rims getting sandblasted and powder coated at the moment that will be going on wrapped in some BFG's

When I can work out how to put some pics on I will.
Keep up the good work guys.
Cheers,
Gary[/img]
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Gary
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have got a good rugged truck there. Look forward to seeing some photo's.
All the best and happy Land Rovering.
Regards Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
AAXD

Post by AAXD »

Gary, congrats on your new purchase. I'm envious of all you fellas getting those Ex-Army Stage 1's. Did anyone buy a lot of them for parts? Stage 1-specific parts are in short supply here in the states.
gary_in_nz

stage1's

Post by gary_in_nz »

hi,
yeah there were a few rovers sold for parts, I heard that 1 man, not at the same auction I was at, bought 20 plus land rovers, that i think he runs in a 4wd school now. There where all sorts of parts, just pallet loads and pallet loads worth of gear and parts all genuine LandRover, that were being auctioned off, anything from complete rover 3.5l motors to axels to complete dash boards and drive belts, just gear that became surplus to requirements. The LR's were just sitting in yards falling apart, so the government thought they might as well try make some money out of this, like they do everything else!!!

Check out this web site, it often has various parts on it for Landrovers, its a NZ web site similar to Ebay. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... -2817-.htm
gary_in_nz

Photos

Post by gary_in_nz »

hi,

here is hopefully a couple of pics, they look a bit low res for some reason.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q242 ... ndyUL2.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q242 ... ndyUL1.jpg

Cheers,
Gary
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

That's one hell of a raw truck!
Very nice !
Basil

Post by Basil »

Nice truck Gary, do you have any big plan's for her? Ilike that roof rack by the way looks very purposful :D

Cheer's Baz
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

hi,

man, i have been having some issues trying to log onto these forums lately

no big plans for the truck, putting some fatter rims and tyres on, waiting on them to come back from being powder coated and I resprayed the roof rack after the years of abuse it has taken looked pretty bad, right down to the galvanising. I'm just slowly going through the truck straightening out the odd pannel here and there.

I have had to replace the 2 wheel bearings up front and 1 whole hub/brake setup on the front left when the bearing collapesed. I'm trying to semi water proof the engine with simple stuff, i have to extend the axel breathers but thats no problem either.
I want to eventually get a bit more grunt out of her so will look at removing the Restricter plates in the carbi's and possibly replace the the first muffler (as per my understanding the first 1 is the silencer and the back muffler is for the back pressure, please correct me if i'm wrong) with a straight pipe conecting to the rest of the exhaust, hopefully give it a couple more horses and give it a bit of a V8 sound.

How deep a wayding can these trucks go? out of all my adventures so far i havent had to, so this will be a challenge, i have in a diesel pajero but the was easy lol.

Next weekend its going on a 4 day safari from Motu up the east coast to about Mt Hikurangi then across to the Bay of Plenty near Opotiki, with another 160 4x4's, For those of you in NZ who know about where that is hahaha should be a good weekend out. I will take lots of photos and will put the better ones up if people are keen.

If anyone has any hints on what to water proof and how let me know, I'm starting with the distributor and coil.

catcha later
Andy Dawe

Post by Andy Dawe »

http://stage1v8.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

check out the off road link in this forum. i posted 2 vids the first of the v8 wading, water over bonnet and the second on page 2 of the disco following me through.

http://shop.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/E ... llany.html

I used one of these kits and if you seal it properly and dowse the plugs in ignition sealer or wd40 then you can get away with a bit more. To note alot of v8's have lost the original air box and had K&N's fitted to the carbs. I would prefer to have the original setup for that. You can get K&N filters to fit the original airfilter.
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

hehehe mucking around with the landy the other day removed the muffler/silencer, sounds so much better. Just welded in a straight pipe.
Mmmm Rover V8.

heres something i put on the "YouTube"
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYKKknmCOo
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi gary. Nice one you have . I bet you used succefully.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
gary_in_nz

yeah

Post by gary_in_nz »

hey yeah it does get well used, mostly on the tarmac, been a while since had it off road but we got a charity run through some forestry on the 8th November so will take out then, and try get some pictures and video.

i got new tyres for my nissan safari so the Land Rover inherited the old 33x12.5 Mongrels. These are similar to the Simex tread pattern but dont have the lugs that go right out the side. there is only a tiny bit of rub at full lock and full articulation on the front of the wheel arch on one side haha. the new rims i got for it are quite a good offset for the wide tyres.

heres a few pics with them on>>

landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi gary, nice tyers.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
bigshelf

Post by bigshelf »

Nice truck,

Whats the offset on those wheels with the mongrels on them?

I too have an ex- nz army landy, and want to put some bigger tires on it...
Q: Where's the cresent? A: It's on the big shelf
gary_in_nz

Post by gary_in_nz »

hey mate, this is the trademe auction i got them off
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =181640573