Howdy, Names Stirling

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

landdani wrote:Hi, could you pout more photos to the coolant system please?
Are you considering (water proofing your motor and the electricity system?
perhaps second alternator ?
Hi Landdani, which part of the coolant system are you after? The part between the engine and the LPG evaporator or between the engine and radiator?

The engine is water proof enough, normally when I am 4wding I will fit a latex glove over the distributor and that's it. An no, no plans for a second alternator, the one currently fitted is more than big enough.
stechkin wrote:Hi stirsilver, your LPG evaporator is not instaled properly, must to be parallel with lenght of the vehicle, and if freezing, means that head gaskets are leaking and gas buble forming in the higest point of the cooling system make evaporator without coolant to freeze.
Hi Stechkin, yes I know it is on the wrong way around, that is the way the LPG fitter installed it. it does create some grief if you ever do an emergency break because the engine gets flooded with gas and cuts out. Also if you are on a steep slope it will lean/enrich which can make things interesting.

I'll just leave it as it was fitted, there is too much work involved pivoting it around.

You are right on the freezing from a leaking head gasket, it happened to me a couple of years ago.
disco2hse wrote:Good stuff Stirl :D

So, you going to run the air intake through the side of the guard?
Thanks Alan,

The setup for the intake air is the same as before, below are a couple of old photos when I did the modification:

disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

stirlsilver wrote:
The setup for the intake air is the same as before, below are a couple of old photos when I did the modification:
Thought you might. Lots of wasted space under the guards just there.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

So Guess what.... THE ENGINE RUNS!!! I'm Very pleased at the moment!

Before I got to the stage of running the engine, I fitted the Left Hand Guard on and started doing all the wiring. I needed to do the wiring to the Thermo switch which I fitted to the inlet manifold.

Below is the guard on and my old ignition leads fitted. I'll swap them over to solid core leads when I have time to sit down and make them:

I was initially thinkin of just doing a couple of spade terminals onto the switch, for some reason I decided to have a look on the wrecked discovery I bought and noticed that the connector for the parking lights looked pretty close to what I needed:

And guess what... by a fluke, it was exactly the right fit:

Anyway, wired everything up, filled her up with some water and after diagnosing some simple electrical problems on the starter, she fired up!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHpWXcltZm0

A good note for me to leave to Arentina on. I'll be away for a couple of weeks (another business trip).

On my return, the rest of the guards will be put on and I'll aim for the first test drive!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

That engine sounds great! Just what a V8 should sound like. I love that particular sound when they start whine after 4000rpm.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

The part between the engine and the radiator, thank.
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Guards were fitted and pretty much everything is hooked up including the lights and indicators which all work. It's been a while since I've seen it looking like this!

I also took the car for a quick drive to try and start getting the rings to bed in by accelerating through the gears to get the cylinder pressure up. All seems to be going well. The part I was MOST happy about is that the gearbox and transfer case are working perfectly! Every gear engages and there is no whining, so very happy about that.
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Just because I would like to make the engine bay nice and neat... I plan to make some custom 8mm solid stainless steel core ignition leads. I have done some work towards getting this done by pulling an old set of leads apart and now have all the pieces to do the work.

The block of high temperature plastic is what I am going to use to make the iginition lead clamps which will be mounted onto the tapped holes which used to hold the injectors on the manifold.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I will be very interested to see how you do that. I really dislike the way that the leads drape over everything and hold them separate with lead separators. Certainly makes a difference if there is a poor connection somewhere, less spark leakage.

I was thinking of doing something similar but using longer rocker cover screws.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

:D , hard working pays.
It was the very interesting journey, wish you all the best.
wonderful sport!
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Thanks Landdani :)

Ok sorry for the silence there, a business trip got in the way... and two AFL grand finals so I couldn't really get to the workshop as often as I liked.

Yesterday I did do some work however, on the ingition lead holders.

I cut up the stock plastic into 15mm thick strips, drilled the necessary bolt holes and holes for the ignition cables. After all the holes were drilled I then passed them through a band saw to cut them in half.

This is what the holders look like mounted onto the manifold (obviously I need to clean them up to make them look nice, but for now it will do!):

Starting to run the cables:

Once the size was figured out I attached the ends. Here is the cable stripped back. As you can see, stainless steel core 8) (Thanks wayne!):

And the whole right hand bank done. I was very happy with how it turned out, there will be some areas which need a little bit more work since they are touching the rocker covers and what not, but still... much neater.

Now I have to do the more difficult left hand bank!

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Left hand bank is done:

And I am aware the holders aren't all straight... I haven't tightened them yet! I actually now need to take off the holders and round off the edges so they don't look so 'chopped up & drilled plastic'. And I also have to do the final lead between the distributor and the coil.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Looks very good. I had thought of going around the outside of the rocker covers but I like your idea better.

Looks like a trip to Ludowici Plastics for me :)
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hello again, i'm back for another update spending some time in the workshop over the weekend.

But before I get to that, I just realised that this thread just ticked over 20,000 views!! :shock:

Alright, to the details of what I got up to. When I took the car for a trial drive a few weeks ago, I found that even though I had fitted a 90 to 95 temperature switch on the inlet manifold, the thermo fan was turning on before the thermostat was even open (88 degree thermostat fitted). This suggested to me that the temperature switch was picking up the temperature of the manifold, rather than the temperature of the water (which was interesting to discover).

Anyway, to try and address this, I pulled out the original Bosch sensor which used to be on the inlet manifold. You can see it below beside the 90-95 temperature switch:

I figured that one way to address the problem is increase the surface area of the temperature switch in contact with the water. So I chopped off the tip from the Bosch sensor:

And soldered it on to the temperature switch:

When I re-fit it on the inlet manifold, I wrapped a heap of teflon tape around the threads to try and provide some thermal insulation between the switch and the manifold.

Does it work? I don't know yet... Because I haven't finished running in the engine I don't want to start it and leave it idling.

I sorted out the crank case breathers, I drilled a couple of holes in to the silicone elbow and screwed in some brass barbs with silicone on the threads:

Next, I moved on to addressing the plumbing between the LPG evaporator, the water tapping on the front of the inlet manifold and the back of the pump.

There are two fittings on the back of the water pump, in the original setup, the right hand side fitting used to run to the heater box. Connecting the evaporator here didn't used to give me enough pressure to get the water up to the evaporator when you drain the coolant. So as you saw in the photos a few updates back, I fitted a new tapping on the inlet manifold which took water from the back of the left hand head. For those of you who can't rember what I'm talking about, the photo is shown again below:

I found that even with the water being taken from the back of the head, this didn't work until I removed the return line from the right hand fitting on the pump to the left hand fitting of the pump:

With this setup, the evaporator would get water straight away, even if the coolant was drained. But I didn't want to leave it like this since I had blocked the fitting on the inlet manifold which allowed water to continue circulating through the engine when the thermostat was shut. Essentially, if the thermostat shut, flow through the engine would stop until the thermostat opened!

So, I had to convert the hose shown below, in to a 3 way arrangement:

I doubted I could make a T piece from brass fittings due to it being a very tight space (you will see what I mean) so, I got creative with a copper 1/2" T piece and two brass barbs:

Using the lathe I cut the 1/2 brass barb in half and machined all the bits down so they fit inside the copper T piece:

And then, simply soldered it all together:

Now before you tell me that galvanic corrosion occurs between copper and aluminium, yes I am aware of this. But, this piece is going to be isloated from aluminium components using rubber hose on all sides and the coolant additives prevent electrolysis. So, provided the coolant does the job, the copper shouldn't corrode.

Anyway, here is the T piece fitted. Absolute pain in the arse area to work in, and as you can see, if the T was any bigger, it wouldn't have fit:

My only concern now is that I have short circuited the coolant flow from the back of the head, so I now need to go out and buy a small brass valve to put in the LPG evaporator line to restrict the flow and ensure that sufficient water goes through the left hand head.

Aside from that, the engine is finished!!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

For now :P

Need to get some utoob of the engine.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi, remember it is an old stage1 and not a Formula1 car :lol:
A clean engine is a royality.
Did you had to remove the carb. to replace the second hand set of orange cables ? Did you said their was differant in performance ?
wonderful sport!