Howdy, Names Stirling

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
stirlsilver

Howdy, Names Stirling

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi all,
I just found this forum devoted to the Stage ones so I thought I should do the right thing and join. I'll hopefully be able to help out where I can :D Below is the specs and some photos of my car. Let me know what you guys think.

Make: Land Rover
Model: Series 3 Stage 1
Year: 1981
Colour: Silver
Bodykit: N/A
Engine Specs: LPG 3.5L V8
Engine Mods: 3.9L Cam, 12:1 Compression Ratio, Electronic Ignition, 100A Alternator
Power: 120hp @ Wheels
Torque: 315lbft @ Wheels
Exhaust: Dual 2" with EFI manifolds
Gearbox: Transfer box ratios changed for better economy. Can't take off in 2nd gear up a hill anymore!
Diff: Front MaxiDrive Locker
Brakes: Drum
Suspension: 2" raised light duty leaf springs
Wheels/Tyres: 15" Alloy Rims with 30"x9.5" BFG Mud Terrains or 33"x12.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws for off road work
Interior: Carpeted Floor
Stereo: Inbuilt MP3 Player 40Gig HDD, 4x50WRMS Amp, 10" Sub, 6.5" Kevlar Speakers
Other Mods: Digital Tacho, Mixture Display and Ammeter. Remote Mixture adjustment, 4 Narva Spotties, Crystal Headlights, Defender Doors, Checkerplate Bonnet, Checkerplate Wingtops and 6 35W HID lights
Build Period: 6 Years
Cost: Over $10K
Future Plans: Airconditioning

Last edited by stirlsilver on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Stirling
Welcome to the forum. Thats a mean looking beast you have there. Looks like a lot of hard work has been put into it. Makes me feel a bit guilty about not getting on with mine! :oops:
All the best.
Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Stirling
Welcome to the forum. Slowly gaining in numbers.5 years! thats some rebuild.
Terry
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Thanks Guys, the slow gain in numbers isn't a suprise right? These cars aren't too common which is one of the things I love about it... But damn do they need a lot of work to make them a daily driver!

There is still much more I would like to do... I'm waiting for the 3 HID kits that I purchased to arrive :D Should be real bright then!!!
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Just an update... I've kitted my car with $600 worth of HID lighting (yes I splurged)... Driving lights and the four spot lights... DAMN BRIGHT!! and only consuming 210W with all 6 on!

By the way... does anyone know where I can get hold of some parabolic springs here in australia?? I'm after the most cost effective solution... Any tips are GREATLY appreciated!!
Stirling
Basil

Post by Basil »

There some pretty awsome light's mate, light up the road like a runway :D
Landrover, If it don't leak oil, it's ran out.

Stage1 station wagon, 3.9 V8, galv chassis, parabolic's, lpg
gary_in_nz

MEAN TRUCK

Post by gary_in_nz »

whoaaaaaa!!!, that is one hell of a truck, very nice indeed, looks well worth the 5years that were put into it.

love the lights, i'm looking at setting mine up with some spot lights, and those look really good, what brand and wattage are the lights/ bulbs?? is your truck running a 12 volt or 24 volt system??

cheers,
gary
"If it ain't v8, take it back"
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi there gary,
Cheers for the comments!

With the lights, the driving lights are called "crystal 7 inch" reflectors and you can find them on ebay for about Aus $55 a pair, I fitted HID lamps in them which are 35 watts each.

The spot lights are narvas... I can't remember the model number of them but two are spotlights and the other two are spreads, I think they were about $110 a pair, again I fitted 35w HID lamps in them.

If you are keen to fit HID's as well you can get them off ebay or if you are sneeky you can search on google for the manufacturers of them in china and send some emails to them, they are more then happy, and I MEAN more then happy to send you out some samples for much cheaper then you will find on ebay.

If you have any more questions just fire them away! :D
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Went out yesterday and got myself into quite a perdicament, take a look at the photos and you will see what I mean....
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Well, a further update on the money I have been spending on my car... I just splurged and bought myself some MUCH softer leaf springs, and new long travel gas shock absorbers for my car. It handles so much better now and doesn't sway on hard cornering! Awsome!

stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

I just bought myself a MaxiDrive front diff lock for my landie!!! Can't wait till I get home to fit it!!! Going to be able to climb up even more things now :twisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &rd=1&rd=1

Here is hoping it will all fit together too!
onno wielinga

Post by onno wielinga »

you probably have to change te ring-gear, as the stage one diffs are 3.54:1 , different from other series diffs but the same as the classic rangerover diffs
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Hmm, Yeah had a feeling that would probably be the case but that shouldn't be a huge problem. Cheers for the heads up on that tho.
Stirling
stirlsilver

Post by stirlsilver »

Ok, out of boredom I decided to put a couple of snippets of my car when we were offroading. Hope you enjoy!
Stirling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cRE7mSR7P4
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Looks like a good day out. I wiuldnt have the heart to put mine through that but thats what there built for. I have a very early 110 HiCap now. I'll be offroading this one.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County