Another new stage 1 owner

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
1toughV8

Another new stage 1 owner

Post by 1toughV8 »

My name is Chris Rutland and I am a helicopter pilot in the US Navy. I am currently stationed in Australia on an exchange tour with the RAN. I just bougt a 1982 Series 3 Stage 1. I found this website and am thoroughly impressed. The more i read the more i am thinking i got a great deal on a very good condition stage 1. I paid AU $3000 and she runs perfect. The truck is pretty much stock as far as i can tell. Chassis is solid as can be, engine purrs like a kitten(no restrictors, headers and 2 1/2 " exhaust all the way back). There is virtually no rust anywhere!!! I have about another 2 years here in Australia and then i will be bringing this awesome truck back to the US with me(over 25 years old with no ristrictions). My plan is to someday do a full frame-off resto and make her look perfect. I will figure out how to post a photo and do so soon. I just picked up a intermediate gearset out of a rangy off ebay and that is my project for the next few weekends. I know you can do the job with the transmission in the car but i am taking it out to do a full rebuild and gasket change. I will photo-document the whole job and post at a later date. Nice to find you all.

Cheers,
Chris
Greg White

Post by Greg White »

G'day Chris

Thats at least 3 stage 1's in Aus.

Sounds like you got a real bargain . There is an 85 County for sale over west for $8000 at the moment.
I paid A$4500 for mine

Have you got any pics and have you taken the landy out bush yet?

Regards Greg

1982 Stage1 V8
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Greg,
I have some pics but am still building a website so that i can post them, give me a few days. I really wanted to get a coil-sprung 110/County but i had to buy a Landy that was 25 years old so that i can import it back to the states with no restriction/modifications. Now that i have the Stage 1 i am glad that i didn't get the 110---i have a feeling this vehicle is on a fast road to becoming a rare/collectable truck. I have taken it out in the bush and i was quite impressed but mostly it is a 40km trip to and from work on open road.

Cheers,
Chris
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Chris
Welcom to the club.Hope u find it usefull. No rust!!! U dont know how lucky u are.
Terry (Cornwall UK)
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

just a test on posting a photo?

Chris

1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Looks like that worked, here are the rest of the photos that i have so far. Like i said, i have only had this thing a few weeks.

Chris
Bumpkin

Post by Bumpkin »

Looks like a Minter to me.
Tel
1 Stage 1 V8 HiCap
1 Series 3 HiCap
1 LWB Steies 2
1 SWB Series 2
1 300 TDi Disco
1 4.6 HSE P38
1 V8 90 County
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

Thats one nice machine. A good find.
1988 V8 110 CSW.
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Chris-

Well done. Wish my Ruby looked that clean. She will, though. You asked about a couple of holes on the panels. The square holes on top of the front of the wings look like what used to be antenna mounts that would be found on an ex military vehicle. However, I don't see any other telltale evidence that yours could have been military. They could also just be holes for the wing mounted mirrors found on some series trucks. What is odd is that you seem to have intake vents on both wings. The one on the left side of the truck has a normal heater intake screen. Not sure about the other side. Can't make it out. I can't believe how clean the interior and exterior of your truck are. This really was a great find.
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

The hole on the drivers side is the fuel filler for the aux fuel tank(there is an extra 90 liters under the drivers seat with a dedicated fuel pump, you can switch tanks on the run at any time with a flick of a switch). The holes i was referring to are actually on the lowest part of the front wing just behind the front wheel (three small holes close together, you have to look close at the side view photo)???
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Chris-

I've never seen a filler NEXT to the engine. I applaud whoever thought that up but would also be a little worried of fuel vapor ignition. Alas, one cannot be a worry wort and hope to enjoy their series landy. I bought one of the factory underseat type tanks ($20 bucks used on eBay) to do something like this but haven't thought it all out yet. That is a project for if and when. As far as the holes . . . I see them now . . . yeah they look like they carried some sort of badging, though I've never seen badging like that on an SIII. I'm still waiting to see one of the original Oz prototype Stage 1s that had the 4.4L as a factory-authorized model. It wasn't a Rover engine, but it was done by somebody down there in Ozland for dealer sales. Do you know for sure that yours is a 3.5L Rover?
Greg White

Post by Greg White »

Chris
looks like a beauty!
Interesting it is almost identical to mine, including the auxilary fuel filler. ( but i dont have the tank)

Same colour as mine and also the other Australian Stage 1 on the photo gallery page. ( last 3 jpgs)

I havent seen any other Aussie stage 1's on the site , so its interesting that they are all the same colour.

Does anybody know whether this colour (pale grey green) was available elsewhere?

The colour was pretty close to the standard landcruiser colour of the time ( though lighter in tone). Which i understand the stage 1 was designed to compete against. ie more powerful than the standard series 111

Re The holes: On mine there are 150mm aluminium badges (port and starboard) that say 'Land-Rover 3.5' .

Could be that yours has been resprayed hence also the lack of decals on the rear quarter panels.

what is your chassis number?

mine is SALLBCMV1AF538199. engine number 12G00758

Regards to all Greg
1toughV8

Post by 1toughV8 »

Greg,
Your truck looks great too. I like your roof rack, where did you get it? I can see the badges on your photo, now how do i get a set???? my chassis number is SALLBCMV1AF538200, not sure on the engine number, i will have to get back to you(where is it located?).

Chris
arcticrover

Post by arcticrover »

Chris-

Engine number is on the left hand side of the block tucked sort of under the exhaust manifold. You should be able to see it without moving anything. You may need to spray it down with degreaser to actually read it.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi Chris
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a lovely landy you have got there.
All the best.
Huzey
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a