Kiwi Stage 1

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Kiwistage1V8

Kiwi Stage 1

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

Hi there,

I have a great stage 1. Ex-NZ armed forces and was stationed on one of our small offshore islands towing a radio trailer, and consequently has done a genuine 40,000 km's.

The other great thing about it is that the chassis was undersealed from new, and as such the chassis and bulkhead are immaculate. Absolutely not a spot of rust anywhere. Apart from surface rust on the leaf springs, which I plan on replacing with parabolics one day soon.

It has mallory electronic ignition, a 4 barrel holley and edelbrock manifold and headers on the engine. I have also installed a rangie overdrive (thanks to Onno W for a copy of the manual) as well.

My plans include installing rangie transfer box gears for even better road gearing.

I am going to rebuild the engine shortly. I know it has only done low k's, but, it oils up one plug and has low compression in that cylinder.
I have been slowly buying up new 3.5 parts on our local internet auction site ( www.trademe.co.nz ).
So far I have got a set of hypertech 10.5:1 pistons (NZ$250) a set of new lifters (NZ$2 each) a set of new valves and springs (NZ$100) a new timing chain kit (NZ$36) A set of big end bearings (NZ$6) a set of Main bearings (NZ$30) a new cam for a 3.9 (NZ$10) a gasket set (NZ$24) 1 New Zealand dollar equate to about 35p in english pounds , or NZ$3 to 1pound stirling

I am trying to do it on the cheap, and only buy things that I think are bargains.

The expensive bit is going to be the machining. I am going to have the crank etc balanced and the head ported and matched to the inlet manifold.

I scored a pair of brand new rear axles the other day for NZ$55 and 2 brand new stub axles for the front for $10 each. Damn bargains, just can't say no......
Last edited by Kiwistage1V8 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop Global Whining.
Huzey

Post by Huzey »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are doing ok on the bargain front. Hope you get lot of enjoyment from your stage 1.
Regards Huzey.
I started off with nothing, and still got most of it left!
1989 110 V8 Hard Top

1955 Fordson Major E1a
landdani

Post by landdani »

Hi Kiwistage1V8, is this your tru stage1 photo? a half tank? :shock:
Please add some photos as it is a tru rare project 8)
wonderful sport!
1984 SeriesIII ex-melitary, 109 inch, V8 stage one
Kiwistage1V8

Post by Kiwistage1V8 »

landdani wrote:Hi Kiwistage1V8, is this your tru stage1 photo? a half tank? :shock:
Please add some photos as it is a tru rare project 8)
Ha! I wish, but no.
Stop Global Whining.