A newbie in France

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Aegedus

A newbie in France

Post by Aegedus »

Hi All,

I'm Aegedus. Totally fan of land rover and involved as webmaster in Le Temps des Series' club and forum.
I own a 1956 Serie 1 86" fitted with 2,25L Petrol. I love it !
I'm often asked to find LR series by friends. One of them asked me to find a 109 SW. PArsing the web, I found two 109 SW for me :D ... and of course one for him !
One is 2,25L Petrol and is already at home waiting for cares and a restart to go back on the road.
The other one is still not acquired and it's a 1981 SW Stage One ... but it's booked for me and I go to visit it tomorrow for the whole check before to sign the check !

I have some questions right now about the different interiors that exists for Stage one. The one I found is fitted with the same interior than a standard S3.
No carpet, no door trim and it's a bench seat as rear seat. The front seats are without headrests.
On the opposite, a friend of mine have one with deluxe equipment !! Carpet every where, there is indeed an Air Conditioning !! The rear seats are 3 independent seats, with seat belts and a lovely fabric. This stage one was in Saoudi Ariabia.
What were the original options ? What are the different equipment versions ? Is it normal to find a 109 SW V8 with this such of simple interiors ?

Thanks in advance for your welcome and your answers !
Aegedus
Only gravity will stop you to go on the moon with your Land Rover Serie ! (Rory alias N°5)
Geoff

Re: A newbie in France

Post by Geoff »

There were two levels of trim for the Stage 1 Station Wagon, standard and County. Standard had pvc seats, County had cloth seats, the front ones with headrests, and Sundym tinted glass in the windows. Both had pvc door trim fitted. I think either could have had a rear second row bench seat or separate seats, depending on which country/market it was intended for I think. Seat belts may have depended on the relevant law in the year of manufacture and, again, intended market, not sure. Land Rover never fitted carpets or air conditioning in any Series Land Rover, unless their Special Vehicles department ever did as a special order, so those were almost certainly added by an owner. There may be other differences I can't think of at the moment, and there always seem to be exceptions, so I'm willing to stand corrected if anyone has anything further to add. Actually, Sundym glass may have been standard on all Stage 1 Station Wagons, and only on the County versions of the 2.25 litre Station Wagons. James Taylor's book, Land Rover Series 3 Specification Guide, is the best source of info for all this kind of stuff. Many differences depend on the exact date of manufacture - there are so many variations, it's practically impossible to ever find two Land Rovers exactly the same (even before owners start their own mods), which is of course part of their charm!
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Aegedus

Re: A newbie in France

Post by Aegedus »

Hi,

Thanks for these informations. That will help me to define exactly what I want and a true price for what I find.
The one I found few weeks ago is totally empty and badly worn inside. There are only 2 front seats and the second row rear bench. No door or side trim.
THe engine run well and I had a road test without any pb.
The rear doors are deeply rusted ... .like the front of rear spring outriggers.
The radiator is leaking too.

Many work for the future ! I have to decide what to do now ...
Thanks.
AG
Only gravity will stop you to go on the moon with your Land Rover Serie ! (Rory alias N°5)