Stage One Gambit: Indonesia

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
JimB

Stage One Gambit: Indonesia

Post by JimB »

G'day folks, In Indonesia here. In the process of acquiring a LR Stage one. It's a canvas/hood top, pretty much everything is original as far as I can see. I won't say how much it is costing me - the price is rather steep - but the paper work is in order, it's straight, and almost everything works (except the auxiliary fuel tank, which the seller is fixing). Chassis is pretty remarkable, ditto the engine, which cinched the sale. Naturally the missus has been kept in the dark for as long as possible (which is the only way from my pov). What will persuade her is if the vehicle is easy to drive - the threshold isn't so high (we lived in East/Central Africa and Sumatera for many years). I was thinking a few things:
- Power steering
- Electronic ignition (replace the points)
- Better springs?
- Better brakes (are the drum brakes so shite? It has a massive servo on it)

Any ideas fellas?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-12 at 3.48.29 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-12 at 3.48.29 PM.jpeg (87.19 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-12 at 3.48.29 PM(6).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-12 at 3.48.29 PM(6).jpeg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-12 at 3.48.29 PM(4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-12 at 3.48.29 PM(4).jpeg (98.81 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
All advice/input welcome!
Driving an '83 limestone Stage One
Geoff

Re: Stage One Gambit: Indonesia

Post by Geoff »

Nice. Leave her as she is. Upgrade the missus
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
JimB

Post by JimB »

Geoff wrote:Nice. Leave her as she is. Upgrade the missus
No can do. Plus she's nicer than the truck!
All advice/input welcome!
Driving an '83 limestone Stage One
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Someone's fitted a Japanese master with incorporated servo.
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

looks like the heater has been removed! chilly....
nice looking motor - enjoy

- Power steering - would be nice to have but isnt the arm works out part of driving a series?
- Electronic ignition (replace the points) - thought about this myself, not sure how or what to do though
- Better springs? - parabolics - only thing changed on mine - gives a nice ride and articulation.
- Better brakes (are the drum brakes so shite? It has a massive servo on it) - if adjusted and maintained, they are fine, l can lock my wheels up if l press hard on the pedal. also l replaced the rubber hoses with goodridge braded hoses. (also done on all the motorbikes l own, makes a massive difference.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

JimB wrote: - Power steering
Your call but it can be done with RR Classic, etc. Some welding and stuff required. Have a mate here do it to his and he swears by it. Me? I prefer it as it is. On the open road, it is easy to steer.
JimB wrote: - Electronic ignition (replace the points)
Been a lot of discussion on the forum about this. Do a search. Mine was electronic when I bought it but the system was dodgy. Tried Mallory first and went to Pertronix. Never looked back. HEI is sometimes touted to be good too.
JimB wrote: - Better springs?
Depends on what you have now. If they are standard duty, then you will not get better. Parabolics have been shown to be bouncy and uncomfortable.
JimB wrote: - Better brakes (are the drum brakes so shite? It has a massive servo on it)
Of course disks will stop you better, but is the cost of making the change worth the improvement. My experience is that the big drums and servo are pretty good and I have not generally had a problem, even when pulling a heavy trailer. Of course you practice safe driving and don't expect ABS performance.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5