Sandringham Six in Wiltshire

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
SandySix

Sandringham Six in Wiltshire

Post by SandySix »

Hi!

Having owned a Sandringham 6 for many years now, I am finally getting close to having her back on the road.. at least I think so until the MOT man has a look!!

So I thought I should join up as I am sure I will need some advice. You never know I might even be able to provide some too! Serial Land Rover owner, serial car owner to be honest. Current vehicles include 72 RR, 76 RR bitsa (with 130 HCPU back body), 79 109 6 cyl, 82 Sandringham 6, a couple of P38s a subaru or two, 88 Audi quattro turbo.. and a few others too. Oh mustn't forget most useful vehicle of all.. Transit van!! Trouble is family have a farm so the normal limiting factor of space does not really apply!

Sandy has had a varied and interesting life - a few engines, a change or two of bodywork and is now not really as either Land Rover or Hotspur Cars intended. She is however fairly solid, has a different but interesting engine note (6 cyl turbo diesel with straight through exhaust exiting up behind the cab - sounds like a racing truck!) and still retains at least a few Stage 1 elements!

So.. Hello!

Neil
Attachments
Sandy.JPG
Sandy.JPG (118.09 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Alicerover

Re: Sandringham Six in Wiltshire

Post by Alicerover »

Hi from Alice! (Sorry the kids named my stage 1)
Looks like an interesting 'variation' on the theme, would be interesting to see some more pics particuarly underneath. Lots of friendly people here with lots of help and advice.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

HI

Welcome aboard.

I'd be keen to see how the drive line is configured for the rear diffs (assuming the are two rear diffs).
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
SandySix

Post by SandySix »

Thanks!

I remember when I used to name all of my dad's old cars (I never had any choice but to be into cars - apparently was out in the garage handing spanners as soon as I was able to walk around)

The Sandy had a through drive centre axle - so drive goes in the front to the diff and also out over the top to a short prop and then the rear axle. The rear looks to be a salisbury, not really sure what the centre one is, believe it to be a modified Rover one! No obvious means of disconnecting the two axles from each other - the subject of a post I have on another forum asking about fitting FWH to a rear axle!

So I have a standard Stage 1 gearbox and transfer giving permanent 6x6 but just no diff in between the two rear axles.

The springs seem to be a mix of HD rears on the back axle and HD fronts on the centre - and with one pair outside the others so they overlap in the middle.

Once I have got her back on the road (my #1 priority at the moment) I will try to get a few pics for you!

Neil
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Thanks. Look forward to that.

Sounds like the same arrangement Perenties use on their Defenders in Oz. But those are big machines (wider and longer than normal Defenders). Must be very compact under there.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
SandySix

Post by SandySix »

So.. do you know what Perenties do re wind up between the two rear axles - are they just a fixed coupling or is there a diff, clutch, viscous coupling or something at work there?
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Two options I've noted. One was a chain drive off the rear PTO (and can be disengaged). The other a pass through on the forward diff with (IIRC) a diff lock.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Bushranger and Perentie are temporary 6x6 (4x6 with front and intermediate axle), 6x6 through the upper PTO outlet to the rear axle. So if you hit a steep driveway in 4x6 you suddenly go nowhere and can roll backwards. Diff lock does the normal function plus engaging the rear axle at the same time, using the same design of selector/actuator. Nothing more.
The original civilian production and military prototypes used the standard civilian narrow cab.

Gelanderwagen 6x6 uses an epicyclic running parallel to the standard driveline. Though for a payload increase of 50kg you get an even bigger turning circle than a Land-Rover from thirty years earlier.

Lewy

Post by Lewy »

Perentie prototype based on a Stage One.

SandySix

Post by SandySix »

Some nice pictures there guys!

So some good news.. I finally finished the radiator upgrade and fitted all the hoses at the weekend.. then.. turned the key and fired her up!!

OK so I got a puddle of water on the floor.. and a pool of oil.. I know where they came from and can easily (as long as I can actually get a tool to the connector) fix those.. but.. she is alive again!!

Also joined the brake pipe back together that somehow came to introduce itself to the angle grinder :D

I guess now may be a good point to say why I was changing the rad.. As I mentioned she now boasts(?) a 6 cylinder diesel engine - it is a Nissan unit, subsequently fitted with a turbo, and then some awful pipework to the inlet manifold. This metal pipework in turn obstructed the alternator and the oil return from the vac pump on the back.. So in an effort to improve airflow (and maybe power) and to make a better job of connecting the oil pipe, I have just finished fitting a Discovery rad pack. So now the horrible bends in the inlet pipe are replaced with some nice black silicone hose and an intercooler :D

As those of you reading carefully may guess.. I forgot to 'improve' that oil pipe before firing it up.. but at least now I have a fighting chance of getting to it!

So a couple more jobs to sort and hopefully off to see a probably rather confused MOT man.. It may be a week or two yet, but keep your fingers crossed for me!

Neil