Cape Burney Western Australia

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Lardy

Cape Burney Western Australia

Post by Lardy »

G'day all,
I live in Cape Burney Western Australia.

I have been looking for a landy project for the missus for a while on the basis of 'something to rescue' found an awesome 109 made into a four door ute with a fabricated back parked up on a property in the bush around here(i would have used a truck cab back myself if i was going to do that)it has a fabricated back and may have a truck cab lower half.
Someone has stuck a ford carb on the lump.
Would ýou guys revert back to the twin carbs with all their faults, I have a chance of a set from a 101 owner in the uk
Think the roof is either chopped or from an 88 swb a quick measure might reveal the facts.
I myself own a British army 101 forward control ambulance a Defender 110 300tdi and a disco 2 v8.
Cheers all
Attachments
img20170408_142237.jpg
img20170408_142237.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 7366 times
map1275

Re: Cape Burney Western Australia

Post by map1275 »

Never had any great issues with twin Solex. Once running correctly you forget about them.

Had countless issues over the years with DIY K-mart Holley conversions. A bucket with a hole in it usually being a more efficient and less butchered conversion.
Lardy

Post by Lardy »

Indeed, holly carbs do have the name for being trash, I think eidelbrock seem to be of a better quality maybe, but at a $1000 to install one of their manifolds and carbs it defeats the notion of cheap motoring.....don't mind paying for juice running the V8 but a grand is bonkers!
Might give the origional carbs some serious consideration, think the former owner didnt like the diaphragms shitting themselves!
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Never seen a diaphragm die in service. Just one of those things you change when you're in their for some other reason.
Lewy

Post by Lewy »

Nice looking dual cab. I would run the standard twin carbs. Never had an issue with them and had them for 8 years on my previous V8 110.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Been running twin Strombergs (20 years) and SUs (6 years) on my two Stage Ones for, therefore, a combined period of 26 years without issue (one overhaul of the Strombergs, new diaphragms, needles etc) other than the endless mysterious disappearance of the oil in the dampers (even on the newly overhauled ones)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I like the SU's. Since they've been in, I almost not had to touch them (about five years). Originally off a Rangie.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

Gidday Andy.
Welcome to Stage 1 ownership.

Sorry, I don't have any spare carbies.