QLD Stage 1 Owner

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Wardy

QLD Stage 1 Owner

Post by Wardy »

Hi All,

Have been into Stage 1's for awhile but never had the chance to get one till now.
I have managed to get a 1981 V8 Trayback and a 1983 Isuzu Station Wagon.
The V8 is nearly good to register however the SW needs a full rebuild (its had a rough life)
Here are a few pics for now, I will add more as I can

Wardy
Attachments
As first received
As first received
IMG_2363.jpg (55.92 KiB) Viewed 10447 times
Inside
Inside
IMG_2357.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 10447 times
Wardy

Re: QLD Stage 1 Owner

Post by Wardy »

The Station Wagon as recovered

Wardy
Attachments
SW2.jpg
SW2.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 10442 times
SW1.jpg
SW1.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 10442 times
Satanas

Post by Satanas »

Waouh! Nice trayback!
Sebastien
1980 Half track Centaur "the Holy Grail", 6 made.
1982 Sandringham 6x6 "Le Grand Bleu"
1983 Fire engine Angus 6x6 "Robbie", unique prototype
Lewy

Post by Lewy »

Very nice.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

The tray back was a lucky purchase, as it turned out I knew the owner from when I served with him in the Army so he knocked a bit off the price.
It was originally from Victoria we believe and possibly was used by a surveyor or similar as it had a reserve tank in under the tray and also the tray is very well engineered.
It is currently running on 100% gas, I will have to find a few odds and ends to take it back to petrol but for now gas is good.

Wardy
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Welcome aboard.

Keep us posted on the sw rebuild :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I will try to keep the SW rebuilt updated as I go along, unfortunately its a bit ceased up for now and the ignition key is missing so can turn it over but cant start it :?
Its a bit of a strange vehicle as being built right at the end it shares a few items with the next vehicle on, i.e. the 90/110 or as it was know here the County.
It has county rims along with seats.
The front doors have one piece seals the 2nd row doors are multi piece series seals and the rear door is one piece, a real miss match.
It has a long range tank fitted as well as a bar in the back for a child seat to attach to.
The bullbar is a proper one for it but fits through the holes in the side of the dumb irons not the top/bottom.
When I can Ill post lots of information pics for the record on Australian assembled vehicles.

Wardy
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Thanks for the pics. Looking forward to seeing more of your discoveries.

Not sure what you mean by the 90/110 parts, but the side doors are correct and it is normal for the rear sw door to be one piece.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Look in your parts book.

The door seals are just an evolutionary change if original. The wheels have been swapped if 110. Australia never had a County model in Series III. However the last of the 109 V8/Isuzu appear to have been fitted with County (houndstooth) seats in place of Australian made, black or brown, Series III seats.

There's no such thing as a County wheel. If they're from a 110 (not a 90) then either the Australian made 110 wheel or the British made early Defender wheel.

Aluminium bullbar is an accessory and nothing to do with Series III and I don't remember them ever being optional from JRA for 110. It wasn't until Australian 110 that aluminium started to become available for Land-Rover. Before this it was painted steel or painted steel. Even the Leyland accessory item was painted. Though it was designed to attach to the factory galvanised bumper.

Child restraint device (whichever design) is an aftermarket accessory. Most off the shelf units are prohibited from use in Land-Rover/Range-Rover.
Lewy

Post by Lewy »

My feb 83 complainced one has county seats.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Geez Map1275 ease up mate, I am simply explaining what is on the vehicle, what I am explaining is my observations of the vehicle as it stands.
Also as most Stages 1 vehicles being sold when the new model came in weren't selling very well dealers did what they could to sell them hence why mine has the "County" style name and stripe.
Only the very last stage 1's made had the one piece door seal fitted a-la 110 but the strange thing is the 2nd row doors kept the series type.
Nearly all late 83 Australian Stages 1 vehicles that I have seen have either been fitted with when sold or at a later date had the 110 rims fitted, as you know most Aussies call them county rims.
The bull bar as you so succinctly said is an aftermarket item made to fit this vehicle as all the brackets and mounting points could only ever fit a land rover series type dumb irons.
The original factory fit bull bar would be the one fitted to the Tray back in the first photos. As fitted the the Land Rover SIII Game, and there after as an accessory on all series vehicles.
The child restraint I never said was factory only it has one fitted which you don't see very often.

To all other members thank you for your kind comments and I hope to bring both these vehicles back to life over the cumming years and watch your restorations with anticipation.

Wardy
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

A question about those One Ten rims. Do they have the right offset or does the front tyres rub on lock? Has anyone been able to successfully run tubeless tyres on them?

I have been considering them because I cannot reliably run tubeless on the non rims.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

The Australian Series III wheel and the 110 equivalent are spot welded together not riveted. Logically if you had tubeless tyres there shouldn't be a problem. I have seen it done with the riveted Range-Rover wheel without issue.

The Australian 110 wheel is about 1/2" wider with an outward offset. So essentially a notional track increase. The only significant difference is an additional pressing between the stud holes. Save for the stamped part number, the wheel centre is the same component, the rim is the difference.
The extra pressing and part numbers make them easy to spot, otherwise a simple straight edge across the outer face to spot the width/offset difference. Easily confused otherwise. The price has dropped off in recent years making them virtual giveaways. I binned the last couple. Whereas the Series III have become hard to locate. There are earlier Australian wheels from Series II onwards but without the extra centre pressing.
Last edited by map1275 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

It's the bead locking ridge I'm after. I don't know whether the later (than the riveted Stage 1 rims) 110 rims in NZ are welded.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
map1275

Post by map1275 »

Yes, they have an anti-derailing lip as an ADR requirement. Though it's not very prominent compared to many car wheels. Despite being wider they're still intended for the 7.50x16 tyre.
Last edited by map1275 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.