Fall Land Rover Rally Season - Eastern United States

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
firemanshort

Fall Land Rover Rally Season - Eastern United States

Post by firemanshort »

I am sharing a few photos of my Stage One going through some paces at the Rover Owners Association of Virginia Mid-Atlantic Rally (Giles County, VA) and the Old North State Land Rover Society URE13 (Uwharrie National Forest, NC).

Mid-Atlantic Rally

Uwharrie

-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Geoff

Re: Fall Land Rover Rally Season - Eastern United States

Post by Geoff »

Cool photos :)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Looks great! :D
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

That decent on the rocks looks great. Couldn't do that in mine at the mo. Would jump out of low with a massive bang and shoot downhill rather fast.
Looks like a great day out. Stage 1 looks awesome next to the disco buy the mud pool

What's happened in the bottom pic? Looks like the electrical fan has jumped out through the grill! Did the front take a prang?
The dog looks very content!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Can see a bit of tail slamming about to happen on photo 4.

Looks fun :)
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Lewy

Post by Lewy »

Great stuff
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

There was no tail slamming in photo #4. I did have a receiver hitch recovery point that rubbed. I find that the scary rear overhang does hit from time-to-time but is not as bad as it looks.

I bumped into something with my front wing about three years ago. I am going to fix it.... really... I just need to get around to it.... But I did not hit anything this year at either of these rallies.

I was playing about with the electric fan. My truck runs fine under normal conditions but it starts to get hot when I scramble up a long steep uphill in first gear / low range. It usually takes a super steep climb of about 15 minutes or so to get it to start to heat up. I zip-tied a salvaged fan from a Discovery II to the grill to see if it would help (as an experiment). It did not make a noticeable difference - so I took it back off.

In the last photo - my friend Jude is striking the popular pose of "look - no steering wheel!!". Jude owns a 1973 Series 3 88" that is temporarily down due to clutch issues. So he and his four legged buddy Marvin rode with me for the day. Marvin is a great off road passenger... or at least Marvin complains a lot less about things than most passengers that do not appreciate the nuance of a Land Rover Series era vehicle.

Here is another photo that a friend sent me this morning. It was from this past weekend's Uwharrie trip.

Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Another great photo.

The engine should not overheat on a climb like that, although mine starts to get hot if I am pulling a trailer up a hill and passing cars ;). I wonder if you have a blockage somewhere in the block, thermostat not opening properly, or if the heater matrix might be blocked. You did the radiator recently didn't you? I vaguely recall some discussion about rodding it.

And old trick from back in the day, when it starts heating up, turn the heater fan on full.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Radiator replaced about 5 years ago. Heater core replaced last year.

I think it might be related to an air bubble / low coolant - or - a bad viscous clutch on the fan. I dunno - it is a work in progress....
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Low coolant is easy to see.

Viscous fans tend to work until they no longer work at all.

Air bubble is possible.
Removal is a process:
1. Park with engine tilted, so that the heater matrix is highest (nearside higher than offside).
2. Run the motor so that any air lock is encouraged to move to the highest point.
3. Remove the heater hoses. If there is air lock, there will be no water in one of both hoses and pour water into the top pipe until it comes out the lower pipe.
4. Reconnect the lower pipe to the heater matrix and with the top pipe raised above the heater, continue to pour in water into the pipe until water comes out of the top heater matrix pipe connector.
5. Carefully reattach the top pipe to the heater matrix so as not to pour out the water from the pipe.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I had a problem with an air bubble once after changing the coolant and all I had to do was loosen the heater hoses at the matrix until coolant escaped instead of air. Mine was overheating all the time so, if that was your problem, let alone if there was so much air that what Alan advises was necessary, I would expect your overheating problem to be far worse than you describe.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs