New owner of RHP175R

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Geoff

Re: New owner of RHP175R

Post by Geoff »

Here's a picture of the outbuildings at Studley Castle in the 80s (scroll down to the first picture):

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ab ... -the-trust

Save it to your computer - it actually saves a lot larger than on the webpage - and blow it up. Are those two silver Stage One station wagons? Sure looks like it. No way to read their number plates unfortunately (but how many silver 109 station wagons could they have had?)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Would be great if it could be taken back to that point.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Rocky80inch

Post by Rocky80inch »

Jeremy wrote:Link works!

Interesting vehicle, and result with photo of it in silver. What's the thoughts on restoration? Back to that point in time?
I'm in two minds about the colour. Silver BMIHT livery is an interesting option though marine blue is tempting as that's how it left the factory. It's still across at Black Paw 4x4 in York where it will be put through an mot and I'll bring it home for a full assessment. I've sent off for the log book, should be with me in a couple of weeks. I'm starting to collect parts now.
Rocky80inch

Post by Rocky80inch »

Geoff wrote:Here's a picture of the outbuildings at Studley Castle in the 80s (scroll down to the first picture):

Save it to your computer - it actually saves a lot larger than on the webpage - and blow it up. Are those two silver Stage One station wagons? Sure looks like it. No way to read their number plates unfortunately (but how many silver 109 station wagons could they have had?)
Thanks for that, pretty sure mine is the one furthest away from the camera, looks like it has the extra tail/fog lights. Silver livery is looking tempting!
Rocky80inch

Post by Rocky80inch »

Geoff wrote:Here's a picture of the outbuildings at Studley Castle in the 80s (scroll down to the first picture):

It looks like HUEy in the foreground with the rear end facing the camera
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Having my doubts now, as the number plate is the wrong side for mine. Incidentally, the other prototype mentioned in the article, the pickup, was on ebay a couple of years ago or so.
Rocky80inch

Post by Rocky80inch »

I'm pretty sure it's mine furthest away. All the clues match up.
Rocky80inch

Post by Rocky80inch »

Hi folks. A couple of weeks ago I had a long chat to Christopher Mahoney, RHPs previous owner and from whom it was stolen. He filled me in on a few details , he bought it back in 1992 so had a long time with it. He has just released a book that folks on here might be interested in. It's called Archie the Land Rover and is a look at life through the eyes of RHP. I've just ordered a copy, here's the link if anyone is interested.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is ... =archie+th
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I've ordered a copy as well!
Rocky80inch

Post by Rocky80inch »

RHP is back on the road! Passed the mot a couple of days ago. It's currently in York but I'll bring it home next month to start a rolling restoration. I'll post pics on occasion. Oh, and I've also discovered the whereabouts of prototype LR16!
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Rocky80inch wrote:Hi folks. A couple of weeks ago I had a long chat to Christopher Mahoney, RHPs previous owner and from whom it was stolen.
I've only just read this thread and looked at the pics - I remember seeing a blue Stage One with a black roof being stolen a few months ago - it was on LandyWatch. I've been keeping my eyes/ears open for it since then as it was a Stage One, so memorable. Glad its gone to a caring owner in the end. Good luck with the project :)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Been reading your article in this month's Classic Land Rover about RHP and it set me thinking - a more thorough inspection of my (now green) Stage One and its old registration documents has led me to believe that it too was in fact originally blue, and painted silver by BMIHT - the copy registration document I have from their ownership shows a 3 month gap between their acquisition of the vehicle from BL in March 1983 and the date of the registration document showing the vehicle as silver - plenty of time for them to have resprayed it. Am now looking out for blue Stage 1 Station Wagons in Land Rover publicity photos from 1981-83 instead of silver! (The blue paint I can see looks pretty dark)
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Can we scan and share the latest article for those of us without access to UK magazines?

This sounds like a cool story to keep up with.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Yes I could, but there is such a thing as copyright law (and the OP, or CLR that he wrote it for, is the copyright holder) I'm sure all magazines can be bought online these days, and in fact an online version of Classic Land Rover magazine can be purchased:

http://www.classiclandrover.com/

The article is in the August issue (yes, I know it's only July)
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I've just found out from the DVLA that my green Stage One left the factory in 1981 Mid Grey, which I think must be quite an unusual colour for a Station Wagon then, but it makes sense as the interior is that colour too. Anyway, it appears that BMIHT resprayed it silver when they got it in 1983 and then blue in 1985. Not sure whether this has any bearing on the history of RHP 175R there. The only other thing I learned from the DVLA that I didn't already know was that my vehicle was registered to the British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland in Lancashire (which occupies the site of an old Leyland factory) for just over a year before being returned to Studley Castle and registered to British Motor Heritage Ltd at the beginning of 1990 (before being passed to the Studley Squadron ATC just a few months later - since when it's been a couple of shades of green)