Limestone Station Wagon

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
BritishCars

Re: Limestone Station Wagon

Post by BritishCars »

Hello
I'll probably put a fresh thread up as well, but I wonder if any of you Stage 1 V8 fans can help me?

I'm working on a show for Channel 5 called The Cars That Made Britain. We're doing a section on the Defender and within that, someone tells a story about the Stage 1 V8. We'd love a photo to illustrate it, but annoyingly our usual photo agencies don't seem to have one (not a suitable one, anyway) and even Land Rover's site only has a couple which don't quite fit the bill.

What we're particularly looking for is a shot of one where we can see the 'V8' sign on the side - I see in this thread there are one or two like that. If anyone has one in java green, that would be perfect, but it's not essential. We'd really appreciate any help.

Cons - We have no cash incentive for this. Annoying, I know. Plus, if you wanted to help, I would have to boringly send you a boring form to sign and boringly send back, electronically or otherwise. These two things are, I know, enough to put anyone off. But there are some pros...

Pros - Your car featured on the show. And we'd do a thank you in the credits too. Not amazing pros, I know. Sorry.

If anyone would like to help, I'd be extremely grateful, but I totally understand if it seems too much of a faff with the release form etc. You can email me at dan.trelfer@voltage.tv

Thanks very much!
Dan
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Collected her old engine, spare gearbox and my spare axles.

Also got the new wheel cover fitted - copy of her original, very very pleased!! 8)

Adie

Post by Adie »

Blimey, not only a fantastic Stage 1 but a trailer load of spares too!! Geez. I do like your wheel cover, where did you get it from, and was it expensive?
1979 88" Series 3 Diesel (Daily Driver)
1982 109" Stage 1 V8 County Station Wagon
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

The guys that did the chassis swap had it made for me!

Not sure where from though
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Wheel cover close up!
Adie

Post by Adie »

Sweet!!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Winding the clock back alright. Impressed :!:
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Bit surprised about the fuss being made over this wheel cover guys. Have one exactly like that in my attic - been there nearly 20 years - never used it - still in perfect condition - can't even remember for sure where I got it - probably came with my first Stage One. Have I got something valuable/desirable?? (just looked on ebay and, sure enough, there's nothing there like it, not even in completed listings)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Adie

Post by Adie »

There is not actually any fuss being made about the cover, just me and Jeremy discussing what he had made for him and me liking it. But for sure the originals are hard to come by, same as the original yellow scripted mud flaps. If you have any of these don't let them go for nothing and certainly don't bin them as surplus to requirements!!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I knew about the mud flaps, because I've seen them on ebay for lots of dough. I do actually have one in the attic - cut the other up, many years ago, when I needed some rubber to patch up our ancient guttering :oops: - hadn't bothered to replace them on my first Stage One after some chassis work as they hung very low due to saggy rear springs and looked awful (since replaced the springs) Going back to the wheel cover, I couldn't even find a picture anywhere else on the internet of one like that - finally found one in a colour photo of an evidently restored 1961 Series 2 in one of James Taylor Land Rover books - presumably not contemporary with it. I assume this is an original Land Rover accessory then? - does anyone know what years it was produced, or even if it had a part number?

PS Probably should have replaced the mud flaps - didn't appreciate til later that they help stop the rear window getting filthy. But don't worry Adie, I never throw anything away! (I even still have the bracket and remainder of the cut up flap :( - feeling slightly guilty now for trashing classic car part, but was nearly 20 years ago)
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adie

Post by Adie »

You could always get the ladder out and salvage the part from the guttering and glue it all back together? lol
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

'Fraid it's still serving its new purpose rather well (improvisation's a bit of a family tradition - a tractor radiator hose formed a vital part of our bathroom basin outlet for many years thanks to my late father-in-law!) Besides, in the words of the Richard Thompson song 'Don't Sit On My Jimmy Shands', "They don't mend with sticky tape and glue" :(
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Moving slightly on from wheel covers and mudflaps! :lol:

She took a little trip to work with me today, stuck her in the workshop for a bit (was going to get original wheels fitted but ran out of time!)

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nice pictures - really stands out amongst all those other nondescript vehicles (never a problem finding your Landy in the supermarket car park!)
Adie

Post by Adie »

You're just showing off now!! Does stand out though! Why are so many new cars black!