New Stage 1 owner in suffolk

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Allthegear_no_idea

New Stage 1 owner in suffolk

Post by Allthegear_no_idea »

Bought my first stage 1 last weekend and looking forward to getting it running and removing the black paint to get back to the original brown.

[URL=http://s139.photobucket.com/user/rich_m ... 4.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Likely to be asking lots of questions soon

Thanks

Richard
udo1-ton

Re: New Stage 1 owner in suffolk

Post by udo1-ton »

Nice Project! :D I love these late county station wagons, especially in russet brown
What's about the technical things, everything in a good state?
Allthegear_no_idea

Needs some welding and engine hasn't run for the best part of 10 years.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nice looking truck apart from the paintwork - what happened to it?! Good luck with it. If you're thinking of replacing that chewed up driver's seat base, I recently bought two just like that from Exmoor Trim and they are very well made, and at a price that made trying to repair old ones not worthwhile as far as I was concerned, but don't leave it too long - at first they cancelled my order saying they no longer did that material due to problems with the quality from their supplier, but then phoned to say they'd searched round and found one last roll of it knocking around in their workshop! (Consequently I shall be hanging on to my old ones too, because they aren't all that bad - more stuff to go in the attic!!)
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Allthegear_no_idea

Geoff wrote:Nice looking truck apart from the paintwork - what happened to it?! Good luck with it. If you're thinking of replacing that chewed up driver's seat base, I recently bought two just like that from Exmoor Trim and they are very well made, and at a price that made trying to repair old ones not worthwhile as far as I was concerned, but don't leave it too long - at first they cancelled my order saying they no longer did that material due to problems with the quality from their supplier, but then phoned to say they'd searched round and found one last roll of it knocking around in their workshop! (Consequently I shall be hanging on to my old ones too, because they aren't all that bad - more stuff to go in the attic!!)
I'm not sure quite why the black paint was applied, but hope I to get some of it off this weekend.

I would be very interested to see a picture of one of your exmoor trim replacements as that's about the only thing inside it that could do with replacing other than a door trim.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

ImageNew seat bases from Exmoor Trim by Geoff172, on Flickr

ImageNew seat bases from Exmoor Trim by Geoff172, on Flickr

ImageNew seat base from Exmoor Trim by Geoff172, on Flickr

The only differences from the originals, apart from the fairly discreet Exmoor label - and their having a deal more stuffing, are a slightly lighter pvc on the sides and the retention bar is welded on instead of held by springs, so there is no longer that small amount of height adjustment, but I don't think that is really an issue - the last pic shows just the new driver's side base in place and I think it blends in pretty well. That material is now called 'Neptune' - or at least it was - I just looked on their website and it's no longer listed so you may have missed the boat - probably worth a phone call though to see if they have enough of that last roll left for one seat base if you're interested. I paid £59.94 incl VAT each for mine plus £12 delivery - might seem like a lot but the originals served well for over 30 years (and I'm not throwing them away yet either) and these look as well made if not better. (I think I read somewhere that the founder of Exmoor Trim was in charge of making seating at Land Rover and moved his work 'outhouse' - is that a word, in this context? - anyway, his son I believe now continues the business)

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/defen ... etail.html
Allthegear_no_idea

They look really smart

I think a call to exmoor trim is on the cards.

Thanks Geoff
udo1-ton

Post by udo1-ton »

Allthegear_no_idea wrote:Needs some welding and engine hasn't run for the best part of 10 years.
I think necessary welding work is a common on all late chassis..., as on bulkheads. All manufacturers used bad sheet metal during that era.
The engine could be more expencive, I wish you good luck. My engine had a few corrosion marks inside as I expected from a vehicle which had spent 16 years under a barn awning. Also the selector shafts inside the gearbox had corrosion marks. I hope your vehicle was stored better :!:
Allthegear_no_idea

My hope that thinners would remove the black paint didn't work out so have resorted to wet and dry.

disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Hi and welcome.

Great looking project and nothing to horrible to start with.

You're lucky the PO was lazy and didn't bother prep properly before painting. :lol:
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Allthegear_no_idea

Stickers painted over and no noticeable paint prep either so that is a bonus.

My fingers will ache by the time it is all brown again
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Thats a massive improvement already! Keep up the good work :)
udo1-ton

Post by udo1-ton »

Wow, a very nice result! :D
I'm looking forward to admire the whole brown vehicle.
Allthegear_no_idea

A bit more progress, nearly there on drivers side.

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Looking much better