"FRED" the story of a SIII Stage One

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
benny

"FRED" the story of a SIII Stage One

Post by benny »

Hi All,

Have finally taken delivery of my 1981 Series 3 Stage One. The car was up on eBay a while ago and now sits with me. Always wanted a landrover, but as a diehard datsun fanatic (240z,260z) it never left any funds for one. Now with 3 kids and a sense of adventure we decided it was the right time to get a landrover.

The name FRED came from my 3 year old son who also calls it the Monster Truck and wants to run over everyone!

The Landrover has had a lot of reco work done on it so far, with much of the suspension and brakes already refreshed.

Here is a basic list of Specs.

+ 1981 SIII Stage One (10 seater)
+ 4.4L P76 overbored motor - Rebuilt with 1000ks on it
+ Billet intake manifold adapters to run efi
+ ICE Ignition
+ D2 intake manifold
+ LT230 Transfer Case and LT85 box
+ New shocks (unsure of brand)
+ Reco'd steering box

Im sure ive missed some things, overall the car is super clean and complete, chassis is fantastic too. Plan is to get it back together and on the road and then do a "rolling resto".
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG (134.48 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG (117.84 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG (122.66 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
disco2hse

Re: "FRED" the story of a SIII Stage One

Post by disco2hse »

Hi and welcome aboard.

Nice straight looking car.

I assume you are not intending to take it off road but I think I'd take a careful look at some of those mods and at how they have been applied. P76 is getting old now. I think I would prefer to have an LT95 with such a powerful motor.

So far as the engine is concerned, I would have a careful think about the front axles and diff. They are a weak point, especially when compared with the Salisbury on the rear.

How deep is the rust on the nearside firewall, under the windscreen hinge? Looks like it has been repaired?
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
benny

Post by benny »

disco2hse wrote:Hi and welcome aboard.

Nice straight looking car.

I assume you are not intending to take it off road but I think I'd take a careful look at some of those mods and at how they have been applied. P76 is getting old now. I think I would prefer to have an LT95 with such a powerful motor.

So far as the engine is concerned, I would have a careful think about the front axles and diff. They are a weak point, especially when compared with the Salisbury on the rear.

How deep is the rust on the nearside firewall, under the windscreen hinge? Looks like it has been repaired?
Honestly id love to throw an LS in it but will be tracking the current setup for a while anyway.... Ill try to be gentle :wink:

Rust looks worse then it is, purely cosmetic.
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Looks great! P76 - you'll be in Oz then?