Hello. Bought a Stage 1, missing a few key parts tho.

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
skittles

Hello. Bought a Stage 1, missing a few key parts tho.

Post by skittles »

Hello everyone,

been lurking for a while but finally time to say hello.

I live in Worsley - just outside Manchester, England. And I've finally bitten the bullet and bought a Stage 1 that I've had my eye on for a while.

It is from 1983, blue and a hard-top and has been dry stored at a estate in Cumbria for many, many years. It is far from prefect, having been used as the gamekeeper's runabout for a long time but has been under cover for as long as I can remember. The owners have agreed to pass it over to me on the condition that I 'do the job justice' and fetch it back for them to have a look at.

I've done a few Series restorations over the years - but this one is in that lovely, aged condition that should really be conserved. Luckily there is very little rust - just one outrigger and the rear crossmember.

The downside is that a local enthusiast persuaded them to sell the gearbox, front propshaft and front axle. He also had the floor plates and transmission tunnel. Does anyone know where I might find some replacements? - I appreciate that they are unique to the model and relatively expensive but the old girl really deserves to get back to running order.

I've left it in situ for the time being but will post some pictures next time I visit the estate.

All the best.
disco2hse

Re: Hello. Bought a Stage 1, missing a few key parts tho.

Post by disco2hse »

Hi and welcome.

Well, the buyer obviously knew what he needed because it is those that are probably the most expensive bits to replace.

I would suggest you get hold of a rotted Stage 1 and scavenge the parts. They are not so rare in this country but it'd cost more than the parts are worth to get them to you.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Yes, and I think the sellers had a bit of nerve to expect that you 'do the job justice' and let them inspect it, considering they flogged off, as disco2hse says, the rarest and most expensive parts to replace!
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
skittles

Post by skittles »

Oh the owners are friends of mine. The price paid was just a token gesture really, I'll track the parts down somewhere.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

I guess the upside is we see the odd rusty rubbish Stage 1 appearing on Ebay in various parts of Britain that no one wants to buy. You can probably get one for less than the cost of the parts if you were to buy them separately.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

Hi, and welcome.
I do have some of the spares that you are after that are now surplus to Alice. I have the gearbox (complete) front and rear propshafts, transmition tunnel cover, and I can point you in the right direction on the front axle :wink: All of this was going to go on to an aution site to fund further work.
If your interested then drop me a pm and i can give you my contact details (I'm in Leicestershire)
skittles

Post by skittles »

And a PM sent. What a helpful welcome to the forum :D

DiscoHSE, I have actually found a chap in Dumfries who is selling a whole Stage 1 V8 and it is awfully cheap, it needs a full restoration but is complete - however I really don't want to break a complete vehicle - it would be a real shame to sacrifice another one of these rare vehicles when there are plenty of enthusiasts that would relish the challenge of recommissioning her - however its there as a backup.

If the parts from Alicerover work out then, with the owners consent, I'll pop his contact details on this forum - I get the impression that users of this forum would appreciate it more than someone who is likely to strip it for parts.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Plan A and plan B. Good stuff.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5

Post by 5988 »

Floor plates and transmission tunnel - items from a 110v8 will fit ( as long as it was an lt95 equipped one)
Floor plates can be cut from sheet ally anyway, I had mine made this way

Front prop - check the gearbox has the right flange first, many haven't and no point having the prop without it

Other than that, good luck not many left over here now to scavenge parts from
skittles

Post by skittles »

Hi folks - thanks for all the advice.

With many thanks to Alicerover I now have virtually all the bits I need :D I saw Alice in the flesh on Saturday and absolutely adore it, she has to be one of my favourite ever land rovers.

I've even got the makings of a front axle. There's just a few more items I need (mainly old, used axle parts to measure-up), so I'll pop an ad in the wanted section.

I don't need the complete one in dumfries so I'll contact the owner and see if he's happy for me to post details here.

Incedently there is a lovely 1981 Stage 1 on 'that' auction site at the mo, nothing to do with me so I won't post a link (not sure what the forum etiquette is like regarding such things).
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Post away, we're fairly relaxed.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5