Potential Stage 1 Purchase - Atlanta, GA USA

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
Stage1Atlanta

Potential Stage 1 Purchase - Atlanta, GA USA

Post by Stage1Atlanta »

Hello all,

Potential first-time Land Rover owner here. I'm in the process of buying what I believe to be a 1980 S3 Stage 1 via eBay. (The listing never explicitly states it's a Stage 1, but everything I've read indicates it is.) Although I've researched it extensively, I'm still a complete beginner with Land Rovers and am hoping you guys can help answer a few questions before I finalize the purchase.

The truck:
Full description & additional photos here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Land-Rover ... 7675.l2557

What (I think) I know from the description & my own research:
  • - 1980 Land Rover Series III Stage 1 with ~44,000 original km
    - Manufactured for Spain to be used as an emergency vehicle
    - Recently imported from the Netherlands (based on 'LRCH 2013', 'Texel' windshield tags)
    - Registered in New York in Feb-2015
    - Unique rear seat and 3rd door configurations
What I'm hoping to find out:
  • - Am I getting ripped off? Planning to pay $16,750
    - Are there any glaring defects / warning signs (outside of what's described) I should be aware of?
    - Is there any history behind the "unique" configuration, or this entirely custom?
    - How stupid would it be to buy sight unseen?
    - Long-shot: does anyone know/remember this truck from LRCH? If so, how badly was it abused?
    - Any and all feedback / input / advice regarding this vehicle that could be of value
Thanks in advance, and I look forward to posting again in the future!

Ben
harry potter

Re: Potential Stage 1 Purchase - Atlanta, GA USA

Post by harry potter »

hi and welcome to the forum,

yes it looks like a stage 1 v8. however it does not have the LT95 gear box fitted. there is a later defender box in there! it still has the unique stage 1 transfer cover.
it is missing the metal plate 'land rover' name badge over the front grill.

somebody has spent a lot of time painting the vechicle and all the parts and does look smart.
the bulk head has been cut between the front seats - i wounder if a stengthing member has been installed under the seats? maybe thats what the black cage behind the seats if for.
forward facing seats - personal preference - l personally dont like them. i wouldnt pay extra for them. l have 3 man bench seats in the back of my 3 door stage 1.

$16,750 is a hell of a lot to pay for a unseen truck - a test drive is always worth while to hear the drive train and check steering/brakes ect.

I see the auction has ended for $1000 - did you get it for that?

harry
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

As Harry said, don't buy sight unseen. If necessary get a vehicle inspection report done.

Yes the gearbox is not original and looks like an R380. Also to accommodate it the chassis cross member has been replaced with a hefty box section. However I would look very very closely at it and the welding. That is an important part of the chassis and the truck may be weakened if it is not well constructed. It hangs a lot lower than it should too. You can expect to get high centred a lot with that arrangement.

The tow bar is welded on. Bad. Although there are bolts too, so not so sure.

The seating looks like a hang over from its service days. Probably OK.

Ignition is not original. Mallory is OK. I'd check it though to see how it is set up. Looks like it is not the original engine. It has SU's which is better than the original carbs (I reckon anyway). The wiring harness is a mess. The loom hanging behind the air cleaner should not be like that or there.

Check carefully for rust. I see the footwells have been repaired.

I like the rear doors. The like the flip up and tail gate option better than the swing door, but that's just me.

Lot's of oil on the front diff and looks like there is seepage around the swivels. If the swivel seals are leaking some people put one-shot oil packs normally used on Disco 1's instead of the usual gearbox oil. Can't tell if they are pitted but they don't look shiny and smooth.

Rear diff appears to be leaking from the front UJ seal.

There are four brackets hanging down underneath on the left. They can come off. probably there from when it was in service. They will catch mud and grass.

Looks pretty straight otherwise. I would pay no more than $5500 for that but values are different here.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Stage1Atlanta

Post by Stage1Atlanta »

Wow. I can't say thanks enough to you both for the detailed and helpful responses. Based on your input, I think I'm going to pass on this one unless he's willing to lower the price substantially.

All the best,
Ben
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

Ben -

That truck was probably priced only a little high if you wanted all the things that it offered. But if you were not looking for carpet, those weird back seats, the 5 speed, the shiny metal binical, or other countless non-standard items - then you just have a lot of work in front of you trying to get rid of those extra add-ons.

If you are in ATL - a trip to Beaufort is not that bad (better than crossing over to England.). This is also LHD which might make it worth a dollar or two more (not a lot but a little) here in the USA.

The other thing you would have to deal with if you bought this is that you would always have the second best red Stage One on the East Coast..... just sayin'.

If this does not float your boat then keep looking. We need more leaf spring guys at the rallies.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

hmmyes... always being second best :P
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
mharshman

Post by mharshman »

Funny, I did send a message to that Seller, that he should "NOT" label that series 3 as a defender on Ebay.... LHD, Stage 1, V8.... Welcome to the Money pit, and the waiting game. Because you will need to order parts from England, LHD is more rare, and you will wait for weeks getting the parts..... Oh, and certain parts are no longer made.... Above that headache. All my friend's love my truck.... The truck with no power steering, no power windows, no power anything, and drum brakes. HaHaHaHa
Welcome to the club, and Forum.

-Matt