New project, with extended hangers?

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
disco2hse

Re: New project, with extended hangers?

Post by disco2hse »

Interesting. Might be a good opportunity to get more photos of the overall truck. I know there were a number sold off a while back (those that weren't scrapped).

Seems to make sense that what you have is some kind of hybrid. Either a civilianised Shorland or a civilian Stage 1 with a Shorland chassis replacement, or something. Numbers are needed at this point.

However, the Shorlands you have in the photos aren't Stage 1's are they? They look like Defenders with heavy body armour.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I can clearly see leaf springs in the first two of those pictures, so I don't see how they can be Defenders.
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs
Robstal110

Post by Robstal110 »

The brackets on the rear look identical to the ones on my hicap.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Check this site out: http://www.shorlandsite.com

The Mark 4 looks like the beast we are looking for: http://www.shorlandsite.com/CarMark4.htm

Operator's manual available
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Thanks again for your help here. Could I ask Robstal110 is your Hicap raised, that is does it have extended spring hangers to? Also are there any other distinguishing features on a Hicap chassis. It would be a shame to build anything other than a Hicap on a Hicap chassis. :shock:
I wonder why it was not registered until 1990 when it was declared as manufactured 1981. I am tempted to take a bit of the zinc off where the vin should be, not sure that it would work but still I might give it a try. Does anybody have a picture of exactly where the number is on a stage 1, I don't want to sand off too much. Feel a bit like an archeaologist here. :roll:
Robstal110

Post by Robstal110 »

My hi cap is rated at the higher payload, I think it's 3070 kg gross but it doesn't have extended spring hangers
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Thanks for the quick reply, I know Hicaps are very rare, you are lucky to have one. I'm sure someone would have known also if there was a missing stage 1 hicap with extended hangers (stage1 hicap/one ton cross) . I wonder if Shorland or possibly the RUC started with Hicap chassis to build upon. It would make sense to start with the strongest chassis if you wanted to build an armoured car.
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

disco2hse wrote:Check this site out: http://www.shorlandsite.com

The Mark 4 looks like the beast we are looking for: http://www.shorlandsite.com/CarMark4.htm

Operator's manual available
Yes it's looking like this is the best match, thanks. Unless I can find the vin on the chassis under the zinc I will assume it's a chassis modified by Shorland, especially as it was first registered in Belfast where they were based at that time. I like the look of the front of this one :D
Think I might copy this front end.
Think I might copy this front end.
shorland mk4 again.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
Not sure how the rest is going to look yet but I don't think it's going to involve any machine gun turrets. Not sure about the bonnet scoop either :lol: .
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thought you might like to see what a 'civvy' Stage 1 looks like with that military-style bumper - if you're thinking of going for that (actually the machine gun turret might be useful round here too):

ImageLand Rover 109 V8 by Geoff172, on Flickr
2 1981 Stage One 109 V8 SWs