New project, with extended hangers?

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
karl_norfolk

New project, with extended hangers?

Post by karl_norfolk »

Hi. I have a stage 1 project at last. Bit stuck though.... I'm not an expert on stage 1's and there's a couple of things 'odd' about my chassis. It has extended spring hangers front and back and a strange bracket on the rear crossmember. The front axle has cv joints in but the diff ratio is like a normal series land rover. Did any stage 1's come out of the factory with extended hangers or have they been welded in at a later date? Any expert help would be much apprieciated. Just added another pic, as you might see there are two holes for the spring bolts the lower one is about 1.5 inches lower than a normal series, so mine is lifted. Did it come out of the factory like this or is this a later mod???
Attachments
Extended mount at rear
Extended mount at rear
S1 Rear extended mount.jpg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
Extended spring hangers
Extended spring hangers
S1 Extended mounts.jpg (180.63 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
Strange bracket on rear crossmember
Strange bracket on rear crossmember
S1 Bracket.jpg (220.47 KiB) Viewed 8991 times
Last edited by karl_norfolk on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
disco2hse

Re: New project, with extended hangers?

Post by disco2hse »

Hi,

Welcome aboard the good ship V8 powered.

From the angle of the first photo, the chassis looks standard except for the apparent repair plate on the side. Can't what is outside the photo.

The second photo resembles a swivel mount wheel bracket. For a swing spare wheel carrier.

The diff ratios are the same as the RRC, not the series.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Thanks for the quick reply, I've just added another pic of the spring mounts at the rear. Not sure if its clear but the holes for mounting the springs are about 1.5 inches lower than a normal series so mine is lifted, at least compared to a 'normal' series vehicle, or do stage 1's sit that much higher as standard? I've also got an identical bracket on the back on the other side so still not sure what they are for, so still confused. I'd like to learn as much about this chassis as possible before I start work on it so help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
Front spring mount with lower hole about 1.5 inches lower than normal series.
Front spring mount with lower hole about 1.5 inches lower than normal series.
S1 Front spring mount.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 8979 times
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

OK, that is definitely not standard and would probably affect the stability of the vehicle.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
db
Site Admin

Post by db »

The extended hangers look like the 1-ton chassis. It had 9.00x16 tyres hence needed the lift. The lower ratio diff might be to compensate for the larger tyres.

See http://www.onetonlandrover.co.uk/technicalinfo2.html

However I didn't think there was a 1-ton stage1 from the factory.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Thanks. Didn't think of that.

Actually, the 1 ton would also have had the series III diff ratios too.

You sure you bought a Stage 1 and not a 1 ton with a V8 conversion?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
firemanshort

Post by firemanshort »

One easy way to tell may be to ID the location of the first frame cross member. If it is close to the front then it might be a Stage One. If it sets back about 12 to 18 inches then maybe an Siii One Ton.
-----------------------------------
Firemanshort
Virginia, USA
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Thanks for the replies. It is a stage one chassis, it has the bolt on steering relay and the crossmembers in the right place. I have a 'normal' series chassis to compare it to. The extended hangers and the brackets at the back look like they are original or someone has done a really professional job. I'm not sure why someone would go to the bother of welding on the rear brackets and then not using them. Its not clear from the pictures but there is one either side where the rear tub bolts on, looks like something big attached to these. I'm pretty sure the rear tub is not original. Where any stage 1's made with extended hangers for the army or fire service etc? I've been over the chassis and it looks like it was galvanised along time ago so no rust which is a plus point at least. Thanks for you help again!
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

8)

What did the HCPU come out with? It had a different part number to the standard 109 V8: NRC2450 l09in V8 vs NRC7707 HCPU V8.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

hi, welcome,
any chance they could have been added so that the "jate" recovery eyes could be fitted?
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Probably not by the rear spring hangers.

I wonder if someone did a chassis swap and used a 1 ton instead of a Stage 1/series III.

Unless it is another of those odd prototypes that seem to keep turning up.

Are the VIN, etc complete?
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Thanks for all of the input. As the chassis has been galvanised I can't see any numbers on it. I've had another look over the chassis and as I have said before it has a bolt on steering relay and the crossmembers in the right place for a stage 1. Currently the vehicle is raised as the springs mount on the lower of the two holes and uses extended shackles, however it looks like I could use the upper holes and 'normal' shackles and bring it to a normal ride height. I don't know much about combat chassis supplied to the army but I think some of these also had extended hangers. Are there many HCPU's about? I think these replaced the one ton land rover so I wonder if they where also raised?
I've done plenty of searching online but I can't find any stage 1's raised like this. It looks like a stage 1 one ton, so if I can't find out anything to the contrary, that's what I will build it up to be. :D
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Oh and I don't think the brackets on the back look strong enough for recovery eyes, I'm sure I'll find a use for them though. It's a bit sad but I'd really like to know what they are for as they really do look original.
disco2hse

Post by disco2hse »

Military chassis do not have the extended hangers.
Alan

2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
karl_norfolk

Post by karl_norfolk »

Thanks again for your help here. I have now discovered that it has a number plate from Northern Island, Belfast to be exact, and although its year of manufacture is declared to be 1981 it as first registered almost 10 years later. I have also found out that a company called Shorland who made armoured cars and are who were based in Belfast made one based on a stage 1 v8 which ran on 9.00 tires and had 4.7 diff ratios. Does anybody have any info on these cars ? I have found some pictures online these are not my own.
I think you can see the extended hangers in this picture.
I think you can see the extended hangers in this picture.
shorland mk4.jpg (27.98 KiB) Viewed 8893 times
Attachments
shorland mk4 again.jpg
shorland mk4 again.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 8890 times
shorland mk4 back.JPG
shorland mk4 back.JPG (24.26 KiB) Viewed 8893 times