introduction

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
janwijbrand

introduction

Post by janwijbrand »

Hi,

I've been lurking on this forum on and off for about two years now.

I'm somewhat active on two Land Rover fora in the Netherlands, but since this one, dedicated to the Stage-1, provided me with very useful information too, I thought to say 'Hi!'.

Two years ago we fell in love with our Stage 1. We call her (yes, to us its a "she") Stacey. "Stage one"... "Stacey"... well, it made sense to us then :-) We were looking for a car that was in a reasonable condition to begin with. We did not want to start out with a complete restoration project, but one that could be used immediately yet with enough "things to be done" to make her "our own". Luckily we found one very close to our home.

Since then we spent two summer holidays with the car (camping in Switserland), made various shorter camping trips and attended a number of Land Rover Club Holland-activities. Whenever we drive away with her, we feel relaxed and generally in a good mood :-)

Thing we've done so far:

Rebuilt the carburetors (they could hardly be adjusted anymore), installed an electronic distributor, replaced the rear prop axle, installed a new starter motor, big overhaul in the behind-the-dashboard electrics, installed an auxiliary dash panel, mounted reading lights, found a nice cubby box, built a second row cubby box for the kids, replaced the vinyl of the seats, replaced the front doortops for aluminum rocky mountain doortops, renewed the sliding windows on the second-row doors and rear sliding windows too, added door panels, built storage cabinets in the rear compartment including a double floor, replaced the master- and secondary clutch cylinders and various smaller stuff that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, here're some pictures - I have lot more of course, but to give an impression:

Stacey:

Storage cabinets:

New front doortops:

Replaced channels for the rear windows..:

..and for the second row doors:

Auxiliary dash panel:

New vinyl on the seats:

Camping in Switserland:

Second row cubby box for the kids, including "controllable" meters and lights:

Projects next up:

Installing an overdrive - I was able to obtain a rebuilt one, in farily good condition, fixing some leaking door seals, redo the roof channel, replacing the snail cams on all of the brake shoes adjusters and improving the way the front bumper and the recovery rings are mounted. I think they are now not as they should be. Perhaps I'll be asking questions on this topic soon :-)
Jan-Wijbrand
109"3.5V8 'Stage One', 1981 | Volvo 245 'Super Polar', 1992
Alicerover

Re: introduction

Post by Alicerover »

Hi and welcome :D
Nice looking example, just wish that Alice (my kids choice!!) is on the road. I have quite a bit to do yet!!!
One question - what do you think of the Rocky Mountain door tops? as I need to replace mine and I was thinking of fitting a pair.
Spen
janwijbrand

Post by janwijbrand »

Alicerover wrote:One question - what do you think of the Rocky Mountain door tops? as I need to replace mine and I was thinking of fitting a pair.
I can heartily recommend these doortops! They fit very well and are very stiff! I had couple of cans spray-paint "mixed" by a local car repair shop, where they scanned the exact color from one of the sills.

Since I very much liked the window channels for these tops (rubber extrusion in an aluminum profile), I decided to replace all window channels with these rubber/alu ones. Also obtained from Rocky Mountain Spares. Fitting them in the second-row door requires some modifications. If you're interested I could post the pictures I took while working on the window channels.
Last edited by janwijbrand on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan-Wijbrand
heightswitch

Post by heightswitch »

HI.
Lovely stage 1 and the dash pics are very helpful for me..Next job is to unravel the sphaghetti that make up my dash and gauges..
Alicerover

Post by Alicerover »

If you could put up some picutures of the rear door windows that would be a great help. This is the next job on the list as I want to try and make Alice water tight :lol: for the winter as she is stood outside.
Thanks
Spen
harry potter

Post by harry potter »

Welcome to the forum, nice looking truck you have there. (like the snow piccy)
l have gone with naming my truck "Kate" (the V8) :D
regards
Harry
janwijbrand

Post by janwijbrand »

Alicerover wrote:If you could put up some picutures of the rear door windows that would be a great help. This is the next job on the list as I want to try and make Alice water tight :lol: for the winter as she is stood outside.
Sure!

Like I said, I decided to use the rocky mountain spares window tracks for the second row door windows too. I ordered a set of tracks and a set of catches and latches as they are normally included with the aluminium door tops. However, these latches require holes drilled in the glass. I decided to have new windows cut and hardened by a local car-glass shop where they also drilled the holes. This was not cheap, but the end result was very very satisfying.

Here're the photos:

Newly cut & hardened glass:

Cutting the rubber channel to fit the catches:

The cacthes:

End result:

Jan-Wijbrand