Howdy Y'all

Introduce yourself and your vehicles and post (or link to) photos
TexMOD

Howdy Y'all

Post by TexMOD »

Bear with me here, I’m fixin to tell a tall Texas tale of inconceivable happenstance.
I am a retired US service member who spent some time in Europe in from the mid to late 90s. During that time, while stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany I ran across a neglected Ex-MOD Stage 1 for sale. Being an avid 4wd enthusiast, I immediately bought the rugged old horned toad despite it being a less than ideal vehicle for flying the Autobahn or negotiating congested narrow village roads in Europe. I christened her Matilda, gave her the loving maintenance and attention she required, and faithfully drove her for three years. Unfortunately, at the end of my tour I was forced to part with her due to US Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations that prevented me from shipping her stateside; I sold her and parted ways.
Flash forward fifteen years and westward 106 degrees of longitude--As my wife and I were travelling down a West Texas interstate we passed through one of several small farming towns typical to this part of the world. But I then untypically spotted a pleasantly familiar figure, a Series III parked on a tractor sales lot alongside of the interstate. When we got closer I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, it was my old Land Rover. I loudly remarked “That’s my Land Rover!” We pulled over to examine the vehicle closely and sure enough—the same dents, same paint, and same stickers I stuck on the rear windows!
How it got to Texas is another story, but needless to say I bought Matilda back a decade and a half later, and five thousand mile from where I left her. Oddly enough I had the original British number plates hanging in my garage all these years, so I put them back on to celebrate our reunion. That’s my story, with pictures to prove it. Thanks y’all for lending an ear. :D
Attachments
Germany 1997
Germany 1997
1 (640x480).jpg (210.21 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Texas 2012
Texas 2012
2 (640x480).jpg (222.54 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Reggie

1982 Ex-MOD FFR 109 Stage 1
1998 Discovery LE
2001 Discovery II SD
disco2hse

Re: Howdy Y'all

Post by disco2hse »

How very cool 8)

Welcome aboard.
Alan

1983 ex-army FFR 109 Stage 1
2005 Disco 2 HSE TD5
wpalmo

Post by wpalmo »

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you have been in a good paddock for the last 15 years too, bit like me! Great start to the story. How did it get to the US?

Regards Warrick.
1981 Stage One V8 Truck Cab
2001 HSE 4.6 Range Rover
TexMOD

Post by TexMOD »

wpalmo wrote:Welcome aboard!

Looks like you have been in a good paddock for the last 15 years too, bit like me! Great start to the story. How did it get to the US?

Regards Warrick.
The fella I sold it to, another service member, stayed in Germany until 2008. By that time the vehicle was over 25 years old and he could ship it to the States. He shipped it to his parent’s farm in West Texas where it sat in a barn until he decided to sell it this year. I never had an acquaintance with this fella other than the initial sale. It was pure coincidence that I was in the right place at the right time to see my old rig for sale. You are right, it was rarely driven by the other owner, and in storage most of the time.
Reggie

1998 Discovery LE
2001 Discovery II SD
noexitroad

Post by noexitroad »

i find that very hard to believe.............
TexMOD

Post by TexMOD »

noexitroad wrote:i find that very hard to believe.............
I don't blame you one bit, that's what makes it so remarkable.

But if the legitimacy of this story itches your brain, Tri Tex Sales in Cisco, Texas will verify.
Reggie

1998 Discovery LE
2001 Discovery II SD
Mick_Marsh

Post by Mick_Marsh »

Amazing story. I enjoyed the read
Thanks for sharing.